Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Please help, newbi kayak questions  (Read 5306 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I don't understand the fallacy of Jake's post at all?  Seems like he laid out a nice sequence of methods of reducing risks and I wouldn't hesitate to offer the ideas to a new kayaker.

The "fallacy" quote fails to include the very well laid out criteria including the value of being able to swim to certain levels. I agree that planning is more important than being the best swimmer in the world as even the best swimmer can drown if they place themselves in danger from predictable or foreseeable environment challenges.  I think everyone knows (or likely will) that a spin cycle can occur even in flat water with the wrong move. 

It feels like lately there are more challenging rebuttal posts that don't promote the spirit of sharing information. Not wishing to start a argument or hijack a thread, which is a good one, but if you  have to be the best swimmer in the world to venture out, you've violated the partner rule as well, so no one fishes from a kayak?  I'd take the odds of a moderate swimmer who's taken proper precautions surviving over a good swimmer ignoring planning and preparation.  As in many sports, there are few absolutes, only boundaries.  The further you push the boundaries the greater the risk. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I assumed Mark was pressed for time and his post was simply terse.

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
Mark is very knowledgable and has great advice to offer. I dont agree with the fallacy statement, but thats my opinion. I wanted to give my advice on the importance of learning the weather forcast and how tides work. Being a great swimmer would deffinetly help  if things go bad, but how good do you really need to be? Its not hard to stay a float for hours when wearing a pdf.

A rogue wave launched 3 guys out of there boat last year right in front hobuck. No one was wearing a pdf and they had to cling to fishing debry while waiting over an hours for the coast guard to arrive. Would being able to swim like micheal phelps help? Yes of course, but how realistic is that? All we can do is be aware. Always wear your pdf, have a gps, do not go alone, have a radio, and yes improve your swimming skills, and most importantly as i stated before. Research! Research! Research! One of my first biggest mistakes was not learning how to predict currents. I went out fishing and picked up my limits after a few hours. On my way back i wasnt making any ground, and the current was just too strong for me to peddle through. I beached my kayak 4 miles away from launch and wheeled thst bad boy for over 3 hours. I studied for weeks before i was brave enough for another attempt. Now i only go when the weather is right, and i always come prepared.

Tight lines all
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:23:10 PM by jakeandrae »

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Native Slayer Propel, I stand on the wife's just fine in lakes and the bay, does great off shore. You want to drive down and take it for a test spin let me know.

+1 on the Native Slayer Propels.  I've got 2 of them and wouldn't trade em for anything...except maybe the new Native Titan Propel.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

What i want to add is what is more important than being a strong swimmer is knowing your limits, and research your forecast! I'm not the best swimmer in the world, and guess what? I don't need to be. In my many trips to the salt I have never ended up in the water. I research the water conditions (tides, swells, wind, current) so I know what to expect. I don't push my limits, and if I arrive and its not what i expected I turn around.

This is a fallacy.  You're absolutely fine until you're not and then you'd better be able to tread water.  There are a lot of variables working to take you out of your kayak in the ocean and even the best forecast can go to hell without notice.

-Mark-

There is some truth to this. The one time I flipped my boat and took a swim was because of a  very large boat wake got stacked against the direction of the tide to my rear and it picked up the back of the boat and torqued it. Tossed me clear out of the boat on a 'calm' day. Treading water and preparing for what you don't expect. I would suggest doing what you're doing now. Ask a lot of questions, search the forums, and try and get out on the water with some experienced people. Nothing like learning from doing.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Native Slayer Propel, I stand on the wife's just fine in lakes and the bay, does great off shore. You want to drive down and take it for a test spin let me know.

I was sure I had replied to this, but I must have forgotten to hit the post button...

Anyway, Hi Fishin8r.  You do not have to drive all the way down to Mojo's place to take a spin in a Propel.  Come down the road to Gig Harbor Watersports (formerly the boating part of Gig Harbor Fly Shop and still same owner), talk to Blake Merwin and his crew, and get yourself a test drive in both Hobie and Native, he sells both lines.  I tried out both and ended up with a Native Propel 13 which I love.  Some folks love a Hobie and hate a Native, some it's the other way around, others like both systems.  For *me*, the rotary bicycle-style motion is much easier on the knees than the Hobie push-pull.  Other folks have exactly the opposite reaction.   You really need to get in both and try 'em out. 

As far as outings, I don't do surf launches but I've taken mine out all over in the Sound with no worry about it.

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Hydrospider

What i want to add is what is more important than being a strong swimmer is knowing your limits, and research your forecast! I'm not the best swimmer in the world, and guess what? I don't need to be. In my many trips to the salt I have never ended up in the water. I research the water conditions (tides, swells, wind, current) so I know what to expect. I don't push my limits, and if I arrive and its not what i expected I turn around.

This is a fallacy.  You're absolutely fine until you're not and then you'd better be able to tread water.  There are a lot of variables working to take you out of your kayak in the ocean and even the best forecast can go to hell without notice.

-Mark-

Accurate, bold, and concise. Strong work Spot.

Rivers and the Pacific do not care how well you planned or what gear you bought.
If you play this game, you will swim and you will swim for your life.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
With Hobie, you also have the outrigger bananas that you can add to a Revo for your standing up fishing needs.

So you're the bananas on a boat guy... should have guessed. :)
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.