Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Walleye in The Dalles pool this time of year?  (Read 2181 times)

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience targeting walleye this late in the year on the Columbia?

I've fished below bonneville and outside the mouth of the deschutes in my aluminum boat in the summer a couple times, but from a kayak...in November?

Launch from celilo park or heritage landing?
Fish <15 ft or go straight to >30ft?
Trolling worm harnesses the best way to go?

Curious about thoughts or anyone interested in giving it a go in the next week or two.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:58:58 PM by nomas »

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
We've been picking up some Walleye in the Columbia recently.  Jigging blade baits, trolling a worm harness with a slow death hook have been working.  Plugs are another good option.  20-25 FOW.  I'm not familiar with the section of river that you're thinking about fishing.  Hopefully somebody will chime in.  Be sure to wear immersion wear, dress for the water temps and wear PFD.  The water temp is in the 50 degree range.  Hope you get into some eyes!
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

uplandsandpiper

Trolling the ledges and flat associated with Miller Island is always a solid bet.

Jrob

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I went there Friday, as I had good success in the spring.  Trolled worm harnesses downriver, pulled plugs upriver.  Spent about 4 hours in the hole downstream of the deschuttes mouth.  Unlike the spring where I had fish on every pass, I caught only one 12" small mouth, but no walleyes!  I'm a beginner for walleye this year, but they have quickly become one of my favorites because they taste so good.  I hope you have better luck than me.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Hit me up in March if you want to go out in the yaks. Not sure about this time of year. I'm always salmon or trout fishing.i fish late winter to summer.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

nomas

• Rockfish
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably give it a go Saturday so long as it isn't too windy. Worm harness and plugs.

If the weather is decent, I'll try up around the north side of the island. I'll post up results.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably give it a go Saturday so long as it isn't too windy. Worm harness and plugs.

If the weather is decent, I'll try up around the north side of the island. I'll post up results.

I'd love to hear how you do. Fall/winter walleye is on my interest list as well.

nomas

• Rockfish
Report:
Spent several hours trying shallow, switching up bottom walker weights, pedaling to the north side of miller island. Finally started to figure it out, and eventually had a number of bites. Lost one confirmed walleye at the boat. Fought and lost 2 others I reckon were walleye. Landed a peamouth. Had another few bites that didn't stick. All those downhill veeeery slow trolling a worm harness in 28' to 33' of water. The bites were happening out in/near the shipping channel on the Oregon side of miller.

EDIT: 50 degrees in Columbia, 48 in deschutes at heritage launch
Might launch at celilo park next time. It was a long slog against the current back up to heritage landing.

Landed two healthy sized whitefish while fast trolling a deep diving ~20' plug uphill, but nothing else.

I'm into giving it another go sometime in the next few weeks. Just spent 80% of the day experimenting before I lucked into the right mix.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:01:35 AM by nomas »

uplandsandpiper

But you learned a lot!

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I'd be up for trying for some walleye sometime in the next few weeks.  Let me know what day you're thinking of trying.  I have a trailer build that we're working on for HOW-NOC so I don't know if our free times will line up but if they do I'll be there. 

BTW, I've done the long slog up the Deschutes after fishing for sturgeon and I'd also second launching at Celilo Park or maybe shuttle up to Heritage and take out at Celilo.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Report:
Spent several hours trying shallow, switching up bottom walker weights, pedaling to the north side of miller island. Finally started to figure it out, and eventually had a number of bites. Lost one confirmed walleye at the boat. Fought and lost 2 others I reckon were walleye. Landed a peamouth. Had another few bites that didn't stick. All those downhill veeeery slow trolling a worm harness in 28' to 33' of water. The bites were happening out in/near the shipping channel on the Oregon side of miller.

EDIT: 50 degrees in Columbia, 48 in deschutes at heritage launch
Might launch at celilo park next time. It was a long slog against the current back up to heritage landing.

Landed two healthy sized whitefish while fast trolling a deep diving ~20' plug uphill, but nothing else.

I'm into giving it another go sometime in the next few weeks. Just spent 80% of the day experimenting before I lucked into the right mix.

Thanks for the awesome report, very helpful!

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Trolling the ledges and flat associated with Miller Island is always a solid bet.

I agree with this. Also, add a Luhr Jensen cowbell flasher in-front of your smiley blade and worm. I fished there several times with my buddy and my hook up rate was much higher than him just trolling a smiley blade with worm.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:18:23 PM by lutefisk_n_chips »

nomas

• Rockfish
Nice. I’m flush with extra flash that fails to lure trout in. Thanks for the tip. I’m definitely doing it, and March is almost here.

In2Deep

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
I haven't tried it from a yak yet, but I fished up there out of my JokerCraft a couple of weeks ago.  We had limited success on the usual bottom walker / worm harness rig.  Most of the locals were outfishing us using approx 1oz jigs with a stinger hook and a worm.

anything