Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2018 Depoe Bay coho reports  (Read 7450 times)

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Hey clayman, that must have been you I ran into at depoe Saturday.  I was in the olive outback. Congrats on those fish.  I didn't get a single take down.  I was maybe running too deep? I was running 25 pulls and 8 oz weight. Ended up with a ling and some rockfush.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Copy that, yeah I was the guy in the ivory dune Revo 13 with "Kayak City" plastered on the hull.  The previous couple weeks, 30 pulls was the place to be.  But this last weekend, I couldn't buy a bite at 30 pulls.  Nor could I find a bite at 10 pulls.  There wasn't a whole lot of rhyme or reason to where I was getting bites that day, as the south wind made it tough to stay on any color lines and impossible to identify any rips.  I generally use 20 pulls as a starting point, and will adjust from there depending on what I see on the depth finder (bait, color gradients, etc.).
aMayesing Bros.

Clayman

• Salmon
Despite some less-than-stellar reports last Friday, I couldn’t ignore such a nice day to be on the ocean last Saturday.  Got a late start, didn’t get a line in the water until 0830.  Despite marking some bait and coming across a few nice color and trash lines, the fishing was sloooow.  Radio reports were also slow—at one point in the late morning, someone on 68 asked “has ANYONE hooked a salmon yet today?” I guess the glut of fish that were here earlier in the week booked it north to the Columbia.

Anyway, I actually did scratch out some fish: four Chinook!  But they were all around 12 inches long.  Brad’s Cut-Plug at 25 pulls, south of Government Point, for what it’s worth.  The jellyfish were thick out past 100 feet, making it nearly impossible to troll out there.  I eventually pulled the plug on salmon and tried for flatfish for a while.  Stuck a decent little sand sole right off the bat at 70 feet, but nothing after that.  I finally moved onto the reef to burn some bait on bottomfish.  The bottomfishing was actually pretty good, but of course it was the only day I didn’t pack any bottomfish gear with me.  Drifting green-label herring and anchovies on barbless mooching leaders, I landed a half-dozen lings, a couple blacks, and a stout little cabezon.  Bagged a 30 inch ling as a consolation prize and called it a day around 1600.  Tons of whale activity in the outer bay in the afternoon, made for a fun show.
aMayesing Bros.

Clayman

• Salmon
The hatchery coho season sputtered to an end last weekend, but I'm hoping some wilds will be around for tomorrow's non-mark-select opener.  Anyone else fishing Depoe tomorrow?  Conditions are going to be stellar.
aMayesing Bros.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I wish I could! Can't pass up a full day of overtime.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Clayman

• Salmon
Closed out the ocean coho season with a bang today.  My brother Matt and I got onto fish in quick order at the 80 foot contour.  After releasing a shaker Chinook and missing a hard hit, I connected on a nice hatchery coho.  A little bit later, I hit a wild coho and was limited out by 0815.  Those fish came on a Brad's Cut Plug @25 pulls, behind Short Bus flasher in the Sweet Abby variety.

Matt stuck with his tried-n-true cut plug herring, and his slow troll paid off with a dandy 37 inch, 22.5 pound Chinook.  He had a couple coho bites after that, but by 1100 the wind convinced us to head back to port.  All the action was between the bell and the whistle buoys, 80 to 90 feet of water.  Surface temp was 56 degrees, and we marked loads of bait all morning.  We were the only kayaks on the water today, and were the only ones fishing near the port.  Sometimes it pays to stay close to home  8).

That about wraps up the 2018 running thread for Depoe Bay salmon fishing.  Thanks to all who contributed to the thread this year.  I'll definitely get another one going next summer.  In the meantime, best of luck to all who enjoy the bay and estuary Chinook fishing this fall!
aMayesing Bros.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Nice work, I'm super jealous!!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hot dog! Once the Columbia closed, I pretty much gave up on the salmon season. I’ll have to stick it out with you a bit longer next year. Happy the brads keep tricking those fish.

Clayman

• Salmon
Thanks for the props guys!

Hot dog! Once the Columbia closed, I pretty much gave up on the salmon season. I’ll have to stick it out with you a bit longer next year. Happy the brads keep tricking those fish.
Thanks to you for getting me to put in the time and build confidence in the Brads.  It's turned into my go-to ocean coho killer, and it bagged me a couple really nice Chinook to boot.  I love how I can just keep on trolling as a coho fiddles with it until he's hooked, and not have to worry that he messed up my herring spin or stole my bait.

It's still early, but I have a good feeling about the 2019 season.  A lot of shaker Chinook were caught this year, ocean conditions are improving for growing salmon, and freshwater survival of this year's outmigrating coho smolts was pretty good.  Keeping my fingers crossed!
aMayesing Bros.

Clayman

• Salmon
Here I was, thinking the quota would be eaten up by last weekend's successes.  But turns out we're getting ONE MORE DAY of coho fishing on the ocean this Friday.

I'll be out there.  Anyone else gonna hit it?
aMayesing Bros.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
If I can get the day off and the conditions are doable