Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Seat for a OK  (Read 2204 times)

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I have been using a buddy's extra stock OK seat for a couple years and he moved out, so I'm in the market for a new seat.
I have never had a complaint about the sock seat and a full 8 hour day doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure what else I've been missing.
What are you guys running? What sucks what doesn't suck?
Thanks,

surfanor

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Surf to Summit by far and away the best seat maker.  GTS Expedition (Sport Bottom) or GTS Elite all the way
It's never too late to start procrastinating.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
No issues with a high back and interference with your PFD? Paddle guys and pedal guys opinions welcome =) 

Stumblefish

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2011
GTS elite is 18" tall, 1" thick seat. no pfd issues at all(kokatat ronin), I dont notice it there, I sat for 4 hours pre ORC , and 3hrs yesterday. I just didnt notice the seat, no angle issues ,pinch, sore spots, or ass aches, and I'm 43 and tend to squirm. I think that says a lot. I thought the cost was high, I was wrong, comfy and well built. I might add 2 more pad eyes on my yak so i can quickly change the angle for a better strap adjustment, but i feel the kayak's factory spot is awfully far forward.

surfanor

• Lingcod
Most kayak PFD's are designed around seat clearance so you shouldn't have any issues.

Subacca

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
No issues with a high back and interference with your PFD? Paddle guys and pedal guys opinions welcome =)

I am looking at the Surf to Summit seats for my OK Prowler 13t and was wondering the exact same thing.  My stock seat (Comfort Plus) sits 15" high I believe and the flotation on the back of my Stolquist PFD starts about 1 inch above the back of the seat so I was wondering if the 18" Elite was going to be an issue due to high back.  Because of this I was looking at the GTS Pro but with it I may have the higher center of gravity so really looking forward to hearing some more insight on this from those with experience.

surfanor

• Lingcod
I also have a t13.  I am not a huge fan of the 2" cushion style seats as I feel my CoG is too high.  You may not feel the same way I suggest you rig a test before buying a 2" thick seat.  Should be easy enough to pad any seat enough to do a test run of what it would be like.   I ran out and bought a GTS Expedition without considering this and I kind of regretted it.  But I ended up selling it for half price to someone here on the forums who had no issue whatsoever with the added cushion/height.  I picked up the GTS Expedition SB instead.

While my GTS Expedition SB comes right up to my PFD (Extrasport Breakwater) and maybe a little over, it's in no way a hindrance or uncomfortable. 

Your best bet if you're still concerned is show up to meet and greet or get together see if someone is willing to let you sit in their yak to test it out.  Not sure if outdoorplay or any of the other shops would allow demos of seats.  But you can get some what of an idea by throwing on a pfd and sitting on one in shop.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:59:05 PM by surfanor »

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
I don't need the extra cushion and I already have plenty of weight up high. The stock seat is maybe a half an inch thick and that has been enough for me. I do like the idea of extra storage though!

surfanor

• Lingcod
The storage on the GTS is awesome and easy to get to.  I load that thing up.  Been meaning to pick up the rod holder attachment as my dry box only has a triple rod holder attached.  I've become quite the snob and like to have 4-5 rods with me at all times when I hit lakes. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:03:48 PM by surfanor »