Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Custom iceboxes?  (Read 8244 times)

LandofRath

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Having the OK Trident ultra 4.3 I really like the custom icebox they offer but at $300...

I am considering just making my own version by molding a pan directly into my kayak, then insulating and making the custom top to my own liking.. Anyone else ever done this? I found something similar through google searches but never found the finished product. I really like the idea of a clean looking custom box that is made to fit the space.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:26:11 AM by LandofRath »

LandofRath

• Herring
I am going to sketch out some ideas and if anyone is interested, if/when I proceed I will post pictures and updates as it progresses. I have some thoughts and usually that ends up in sleepless nights till I just build it. I never could say no to a good project.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I was going to line my Hobie tank well with saran wrap then lay up fiberglass mat to mold the bottom then build up the sides and top. Then I planned to add tackle tray slots, but I just  have no time. Also, since I am such an phenomenally awesome fisherman that always limits out right away, I realized I can just leave a cooler on the beach since I am back so soon. :P ;D

LandofRath

• Herring
I was going to line my Hobie tank well with saran wrap then lay up fiberglass mat to mold the bottom then build up the sides and top. Then I planned to add tackle tray slots, but I just  have no time. Also, since I am such an phenomenally awesome fisherman that always limits out right away, I realized I can just leave a cooler on the beach since I am back so soon. :P ;D

That is the basic idea for molding the bottom half except I always used blue tape coated in Johnsons Paste Wax. I want a close-able bin to put fish or crab into so I don't have to risk losing them in the case of a possible roll overs, and to protect them from the elements. I am still debating if I want to insulate it  or not for the hotter days, or just to keep food/beverages cold for a long day out on the coast with friends.

craig

• Sturgeon

That is the basic idea for molding the bottom half except I always used blue tape coated in Johnsons Paste Wax. I want a close-able bin to put fish or crab into so I don't have to risk losing them in the case of a possible roll overs, and to protect them from the elements. I am still debating if I want to insulate it  or not for the hotter days, or just to keep food/beverages cold for a long day out on the coast with friends.

I always pull my trap at the end of the day and just return to shore with the crab in it.  I wanted a better cold box for salmon fishing.  I don't like having a big sail (game bag) attached to the front of my yak.  I was going to fiber glass the tank well with a layer or two of foil bubble foil insulation in between the two layers of glass since I have a big roll of F-B-B. However, my most recent thoughts were to make a negative mold by first making a plug with spray foam, or marine foam, then making a negative mold by molding around the foam. this way, I could build the foam up above tank well level and sculpt it then cut it into top and bottom molds. The only reason I would do this is if I wanted to make more than one for other people. But again, I need the time. :-\

LandofRath

• Herring

I always pull my trap at the end of the day and just return to shore with the crab in it.  I wanted a better cold box for salmon fishing.  I don't like having a big sail (game bag) attached to the front of my yak.  I was going to fiber glass the tank well with a layer or two of foil bubble foil insulation in between the two layers of glass since I have a big roll of F-B-B. However, my most recent thoughts were to make a negative mold by first making a plug with spray foam, or marine foam, then making a negative mold by molding around the foam. this way, I could build the foam up above tank well level and sculpt it then cut it into top and bottom molds. The only reason I would do this is if I wanted to make more than one for other people. But again, I need the time. :-\

Yeah I have enough time currently so we shall see how it works out. Pictures soon.

LandofRath

• Herring
Its a bit more complex in size and shape than I have done in the past but hey gotta learn sometime.

Filled in bottom area to protect the strap eyes

Taped up the area with blue painters tape

Waxed the tape to help with release

This is after two layers of glass matting and epoxy.

Now just waiting on it to cure so I can work on pulling it out and deciding how I want to design the upper half.
Will also decide if I want/need to thicken it up any more or not.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Pretty impressive, looks like somebodies work with glass before in a boat building plant.  I'll be interested in seeing how this works out and out of the gate it looks pretty nice.  Being able to say you've done it and saved $300 might be a stretch:-), but you'll have something no one else has...

LandofRath

• Herring
Pretty impressive, looks like somebodies work with glass before in a boat building plant.  I'll be interested in seeing how this works out and out of the gate it looks pretty nice.  Being able to say you've done it and saved $300 might be a stretch:-), but you'll have something no one else has...

Thanks! Well in actual dollars I will come out ahead (Ignoring my own hours of course) ::) If I had to make this for someone else it would be tough, I would use a different approach probably. This so far has taken me about 3 hours.  As for experience I have done few seatpans for motorcycle projects and used fiberglass in laminating before but nothing quite like this. I think I know what the plan for the top half is but I need to go get a bit more material.

craig

• Sturgeon
If you layered out over the edge to have a lip, you could just do two identical pieces and fasten top and bottom where the lips meet. Then, cut hatches or whatever else you may want.

LandofRath

• Herring
If you layered out over the edge to have a lip, you could just do two identical pieces and fasten top and bottom where the lips meet. Then, cut hatches or whatever else you may want.

I considered that but not sure I want it to be that tall... I am waiting to see how the bottom looks after pulling it out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:29:41 PM by LandofRath »

LandofRath

• Herring
Got it removed this morning and looks ok, I have a few voids where it did not get shaped down into a few edges enough but nothing bad enough that a bit of filler wont correct it. I flipped it over to see what it would look like if I made 2 halves and I don't think that will work for me. I want the tail end tapered down and more shape than that will provide. I am leaning towards taking some ridged foam and shaping the top half to something more appealing to me. I will play with a few ideas and see where it goes.

shallow voids

LandofRath

• Herring
An after thought is if someone wanted a very simple enclosed area for securely stowing fish or what ever it would be really easy to just design a Tonneau cover of sorts with an access lid. Basically a lid than encloses the back area. It would also keep the weight to a minimum.

^ this idea has nothing to do with the current project. The current project will be a fully insulated self contained box. This second idea would be a rigid separate lid that turns that storage area itself into a containment area.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:08:59 AM by LandofRath »

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
...a Tonneau cover of sorts with an access lid. Basically a lid than encloses the back area. It would also keep the weight to a minimum.

^^Yeah, that!^^
 I've thought about just putting some insulated tape on the inside of the hull and then build a flat top cover that could still have a crab pot etc stacked on top.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

LandofRath

• Herring
...a Tonneau cover of sorts with an access lid. Basically a lid than encloses the back area. It would also keep the weight to a minimum.

^^Yeah, that!^^
 I've thought about just putting some insulated tape on the inside of the hull and then build a flat top cover that could still have a crab pot etc stacked on top.

In theory there would be no need to insulate anything but the lid itself since a SOT style kayak is already a sealed air compartment. It would act as a cooler already, add to that the water temps out here are cold.