Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Had an idea  (Read 2263 times)

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Ok had an idea for my trident, and just wondering what general consensus would be lol. So I love my ok trident prowler 13 and trolling is doable but I know hands free trolling would be easier so my idea is mounting an electric trolling motor on my downrigger mount I made (which is literally a replica of the mount that Nangusdog made in this thread http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=10246.msg113783#msg113783) and would just attach a 2x4 or something similar to the rear vertical pipes and hang it off the right side of the hull. Is this cheating or has anyone else either seen or thought about doing this? Mostly this is spit balling for now, I have the general picture of it in my head and am looking for trolling motors, batteries, etc, been doing alot of planning and visualizing while I'm laid up lol, if I don't stop it I'm gonna have to many ideas and projects pretty soon 😄 well thanks for listening to my ramblings, hope everyone is well tight lines all!

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
My guess is that your fish wouldn't count for tournaments as many require use of a "human powered" craft.  If that's not an issue for you, I don't see why you wouldn't try it as it sounds like a fairly easy mounting procedure.  For me, it would be too much gear and defeat many kayak advantages for the type of my use, but each has to evaluate their own situation.

My first concern would be it's behind me although there are ways to steer especially if you have a rudder. If you're turning sideways during the forward motion, bad things could happen, like getting hit by a prop or having it drive away from you.
My second would be the amount of gear combined with the battery for the motor.  I just like it lighter.  I very much appreciated my Trident 13 but switching to something (now with a revo) that I can power while holding a pole, lowering a DR, etc. made sense for me. 
Third, if you're adding a DR as well, I'd at least make sure the DR is on the other side.  Most like the pole holder on the other side from the DR, so now your getting gear on all sides and re-entry challenges would concern me.   Hopefully a skill never needed but you should be thinking about it at every launch.
One last thought, if the motor didn't shut off, you'd have a whirlly gig thing going with the prop to consider as well.
So, the mounting part seems doable.  However, for me, the challenges don't add up, but to each their own.  I hope I never start planning things I never end up using:-)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:25:56 AM by Trident 13 »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Don’t forget you have to register it as a boat if you put any motor on it.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Don’t forget you have to register it as a boat if you put any motor on it.
dangit, I was wondering about that... Well that ideas shot now lol

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Anything with a motor over 10 or 12 feet in WA.

Does it reallyhave to be mounted to the side? You'd be better off over stern center. And there are some good kits out there that attach to a Trident series yak. Some even include foot pedals with control cables to steer with the motor instead of a rudder. But, spendy....

Be careful with your battery selection and placement.  Weight and location issues,  etc....
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
What are you trolling for, and what water conditions are trolling in? 

If you are trolling for trout in a lake with minimal traffic you can place the rod in a rod holder pointed over the bow.  Then just paddle backwards.  You are not going to be going fast enough to crash or get lost.  If a trout hits, you can see it and give a couple of quick hook setting strokes, and then drop paddle and reel it in.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
My guess is that your fish wouldn't count for tournaments as many require use of a "human powered" craft. 

KBF tournament rules allow electric motors.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Ok had an idea for my trident, and just wondering what general consensus would be lol. So I love my ok trident prowler 13 and trolling is doable but I know hands free trolling would be easier so my idea is mounting an electric trolling motor on my downrigger mount I made (which is literally a replica of the mount that Nangusdog made in this thread http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=10246.msg113783#msg113783) and would just attach a 2x4 or something similar to the rear vertical pipes and hang it off the right side of the hull. Is this cheating or has anyone else either seen or thought about doing this? Mostly this is spit balling for now, I have the general picture of it in my head and am looking for trolling motors, batteries, etc, been doing alot of planning and visualizing while I'm laid up lol, if I don't stop it I'm gonna have to many ideas and projects pretty soon 😄 well thanks for listening to my ramblings, hope everyone is well tight lines all!
Here is an installation on a Malibu X Factor but you may be able to get a kit for an OK.

Malibu's have a mounting plate that screws on behind the seat too but the thrust affects the balance and tracking when mounted off the side.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,