Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Welcome to drillin' & cuttin'  (Read 14528 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Here's a place to talk all things kayak pimping. There's tons to talk about and we need a special place to do it in. So have at it!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

JMan551

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
OK, I'll go first...so:
At work we have an account with RAM.  I had the sales department order me a RAM-Rod.  I need to mount the thing now.  I'm a big guy, not the most flexible, and I need to figure out a good place for placement.  I have an OK Big Game Angler.  I'm thinking about mounting it to the cover directly in front of me (where the cup holder and 'dry' keep is)...my only thought would be that it may not hold up.  Anybody have any thoughts?  Also, how do you guys cut into your beautiful boats?

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
  I have an OK Big Game Angler.  I'm thinking about mounting it to the cover directly in front of me (where the cup holder and 'dry' keep is)...my only thought would be that it may not hold up.  Anybody have any thoughts?

Here's a pic of how steelheadr did the lid install. 

Also, how do you guys cut into your beautiful boats?

Funny you should ask that cause I wrote this in answer to his request for similar info. at the time.

Don't do it steelheadr!  Step...away...from the crate!

That's how it starts..... 

You pick up a milk crate.  Everything's great "That wasn't so much" you say to yourself.  But, soon you're mounting some PVC to it, to hold a net or a spare rod.  Next thing you know you're putting on a bow line "so I have something to pull it around by", you tell yourself.  And, once it's in, "Gee, that bow line would work as an anchor trolley....".

It doesn't stop there.  Oh no, it CAN'T stop there.  No, you've gone to far by that point.  Slimply setting stuff on your yak isn't good enough.  The rush isn't as powerfull anymore.

You move on to the harder stuff.  Punching holes in your poor yak so you can mainline the upgrades.  Soon you're up all night making custom power supplies.  Skipping work so you can fabricate some kind of adapter plate.  Ignoring your family and friends to try and come up with one more thing that has yet to be created from pool noodle and goop. 

Yeah, you know who you guys are.   I'm talking about YOU.

You think it doesn't show?  You think nobody outside your circle of yak upgrade addicted friends notices?  Fools!  All of you!  Fools I say!

Ummmm, can anyone here tell me whether I should use a wood blade or a metal blade in my jig saw for cutting a hatch hole in my Cobra?  What?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I actually use that mount for my FF now. I've also cut out my own custom rod pod underneath that cover. Since the space under it was useless, I left about 1" of plastic down from the top and just cut around the perimeter of the insert.

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again