Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Cracks in Hobie seat peg holes - water in the hull  (Read 3401 times)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
2011 vintage Hobie Revo 13 taking on water today -- about 12 gallons (bailed water a few times so we could keep fishin).  Discovered both seat peg holes were cracked.  Kind of accidentally discovered it today because the seat scupper plugs were left open which resulted in the seat area filling with a little bit of water all day long (usually they are closed to prevent Hobie wet butt), but with an ample source of water, the cracks allowed water to leak into the hull.  The seat peg posts have lost their clamping integrity inside that cylinder.  How should this be fixed??  I've got some ideas, but would like to hear yours.  GO:

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Bummer!  I like that boat.

Over on the Hobie forums, most suggest gluing a 3/4" PVC end cap over the peg hole from inside to reinforce the area, then install the Hobie twist-lock inserts.

Seems you were lucky to find the cracks before they extended outside of the peg hole.  Not that "lucky" applies here...

A 3/4" PVC end cap fits nicely over the peg hole from inside the kayak.

Flip kayak upside down on a pair of saw horses so you can work on it. Pour some epoxy into the PVC cap. reach in through the center hatch, and put those over the seat plugs. The upside down boat lets gravity help keep the PVC caps in place until the epoxy dries.

Best glue is 3M Scotch weld DP8010NS.

(Here's link to a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XWfARZd6E0)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:30:29 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My 2010 Revo did the same thing. I fixed mine with that method.  Copious amounts of GOOP. Problem solved!

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Seems like that would be a good preventative measure to reinforce those with the pvc before cracks begin to form.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
My 2010 Revo did the same thing. I fixed mine with that method.  Copious amounts of GOOP. Problem solved!
Goop might be sufficient to stop the water ingress, but there's definitely some structural reinforcement that is needed so that the crack doesn't propagate further and that the seat will hold securely.  I think the twist-lock seat pegs are a better design (positive quarter turn lock and stop) than the beveled pegs (keep twisting until "tight").

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
I would think the pvc caps would provide enough stiffness, but an epoxy that set up harder might be better than flexible goop. It might require some light sanding on the inside to aid adhesion.

Also Barb, have you ever tried a Surf to Summit gts elite seat? I'd be happy to let you demo one sometime. StS seats are head and shoulders above the stock Hobie seats for pre-2015 models. Once you get them adjusted correctly the lower part doesn't slide around and you won't need to fiddle with the seat pegs ever again. My stock Hobie seat is still in the original bag.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
I would think the pvc caps would provide enough stiffness, but an epoxy that set up harder might be better than flexible goop. It might require some light sanding on the inside to aid adhesion.

Also Barb, have you ever tried a Surf to Summit gts elite seat? I'd be happy to let you demo one sometime. StS seats are head and shoulders above the stock Hobie seats for pre-2015 models. Once you get them adjusted correctly the lower part doesn't slide around and you won't need to fiddle with the seat pegs ever again. My stock Hobie seat is still in the original bag.
I've eyed those GTS elite seats - they look pretty nice!  Does that require new pad eyes to have points to secure the seat to the kayak?  So, essentially the seat plug holes molded into the Hobie aren't used anymore??

I'm considering the 3M adhesive 8010 for Polyethlene to do the repair.  And at this point, I think it would be best to do the twist-lock conversion to the seat and use the plastic threaded insert.  There's a bit of distortion on the inside of the seat peg hole (not to mention the crack! that allows water to seep in).  I'm more concerned about the continued use of the seat peg holes and addressing the integrity of the seat peg holes from the top side of the kayak.  Once the PVC cap is on the back side of those seat peg nipples inside the hull, that should be fine to seal it off, I'm not too concerned about that.  Continuing to use the bevel style seat posts in those same damaged/cracked holes is probably the crux of a bad idea - even after reinforcing them from the back side.

My other solution is buy a new kayak.  ;D

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
There shouldn't be any need to add pad eyes. The seat pegs are not used. Throw a Skwoosh pad under the GTS Elite and you will be at the peak of comfort and support without significantly raising your center of gravity. It's the best solution short of the upgrade to newer models with the Vantage seat.

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
To use the GTS seat you DO need to add 2 pad eyes for the rear hooks. Very easy. I second the GTS Surf to Summit seat. I bought the more padded Expedition model and do not notice the (slightly) higher center of gravity.   
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
To use the GTS seat you DO need to add 2 pad eyes for the rear hooks. Very easy. I second the GTS Surf to Summit seat. I bought the more padded Expedition model and do not notice the (slightly) higher center of gravity.

Not sure about that. I've got an '11 Revo, use the GTS Elite seat, and have enough pad-eyes front and rear to fit it just fine.

anything