Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:46:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Thermal sock recommendation  (Read 2356 times)

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
When I go fishing in the winter time, I ware dry suit. It keep my body warm, but my feet is always cold. very uncomfortable, can some one recommend a good thermal sock?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Your feet spend a lot of time wet or in the water when you're kayak fishing from a sit-on-top kayak.  To keep my feet warm when I'm kayak fishing in cool weather and cool water conditions, I layer several pairs of thick warm fuzzy polypro or wool socks underneath my drysuit's dry socks.  And I wear footgear which is at least two full sizes larger than the size of my street shoes, to provide room for those thick warm fuzzy socks without constricting my feet.  If your footgear fits tightly, they will constrict the blood flow in your feet, which will make your feet cold.  Wet footgear such as wet suit booties doesn't keep your feet warm.  What keeps your feet warm is the layers of dry socks under your drysuit's dry socks.  When I layer up socks under loose footgear, my feet stay warm even when it's snowing out.

Do your feet and/or hands get very cold and white when they get even very slightly chilly, and even at typical indoor room temperature (70 degrees)?  For example, do your feet shut down and get cold and white if you walk barefoot across a chilly floor, or do your hands get cold and white if you pick up a cool beverage can?  If so, you may have Raynauds Syndrome, also called Raynauds Disease, which is a condition in which even mild cold will cause your nervous system to shut down the blood circulation in your hands or feet.  Google it. I have several friends with this problem, and they have been able to control it and continue to do sports like kayaking and skiing by taking one of several blood pressure medications which dilate their blood vessels before they go into cool conditions.  Talk to your doctor about your cold feet problems.  The blood pressure medications are very safe, and are used continuously for years by people with high blood pressure.  People with Reynauds only need to take a pill before they go into cool conditions.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:26:14 AM by pmmpete »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Before you see a doctor, take two of these and call me in the morning.

Also, if you are fishing in your drysuit for long enough you will get pinholes and those dribbles of water will ultimately head south to your feet. Try a pair of neoprene socks. Next Adventure has a house brand product I believe, or Cabela's has their own version.

Or in extremely chilly conditions combine the chemical warmers with the neoprene socks.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-mm-Neoprene-Wading-Socks-with-Built-In-Gaiters/732882.uts

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:30:32 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I second the neoprene socks.  They have worked great for me.  I also use the neoprene boots over the top of the dry suit.
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I have battled cold feet and hands too a lot. I don't have Raynaud's Phenomenon but apparently the circulation in my hands and feet is really poor in spite of exercise, wearing looser clothing, etc. It really sucks to go to all the work and expense to get to a fishing location all geared up and only be able to spend 2 hours on the water because your hands or feet freeze. Here's what's worked for me for my feet:
  • Keep your feet as dry as possible. It's not usually possible to not get your feet wet getting into the kayak to start the day but if there is any way to do it try to keep your feet as dry as possible. The evaporation off of your boots will suck the heat out of you.
  • After several iterations I ended up with boots that are 4 sizes larger than what I usually wear, to allow for huge socks and as little constriction as possible.
  • I wear a synthetic wool sock as my "base layer", I put a full-size "hottie" pack on my toes, and then I cover all of that with a knee-high polar weight wool sock.
  • Move your feet and legs frequently - circulation is your friend! Wiggle your toes, arch your foot,
     move your ankles, whatever you can do. If you're paddling make sure to bend your legs back and forth every 5 minutes or less.

Hope that helps!

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Thank you for all good advises.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have battled cold feet and hands too a lot. I don't have Raynaud's Phenomenon but apparently the circulation in my hands and feet is really poor in spite of exercise, wearing looser clothing, etc. It really sucks to go to all the work and expense to get to a fishing location all geared up and only be able to spend 2 hours on the water because your hands or feet freeze. Here's what's worked for me for my feet:
  • Keep your feet as dry as possible. It's not usually possible to not get your feet wet getting into the kayak to start the day but if there is any way to do it try to keep your feet as dry as possible. The evaporation off of your boots will suck the heat out of you.
  • After several iterations I ended up with boots that are 4 sizes larger than what I usually wear, to allow for huge socks and as little constriction as possible.
  • I wear a synthetic wool sock as my "base layer", I put a full-size "hottie" pack on my toes, and then I cover all of that with a knee-high polar weight wool sock.
  • Move your feet and legs frequently - circulation is your friend! Wiggle your toes, arch your foot,
     move your ankles, whatever you can do. If you're paddling make sure to bend your legs back and forth every 5 minutes or less.

Hope that helps!

Man I am so glad I don't have your circulation, or lack there of.   :o

When not actively pedaling to and from anywhere, my feet are hanging over the sides regardless of water temps, or time of the year.
I were normal socks, then fleece snowboard/ski socks, then dry suit, then NRS neoprene socks, then NRS neoprene boots with hard soles.
Rarely get cold feet.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Rarely get cold feet.

Jealous.  :-\

(Hit me up btw sometime - haven't talked to you in ages.)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
When I go fishing in the winter time, I ware dry suit. It keep my body warm, but my feet is always cold. very uncomfortable, can some one recommend a good thermal sock?
One of the keys to keeping your hands and feet warm during kayaking and other cold weather sports is to keep your body core warm.  In cold weather I wear many layers of polypro long underwear, pile, and sweaters under my drysuit.  To accommodate these layers, I get a drysuit which is quite big, and looks baggy when I'm only wearing a small amount of clothing under it.  But I don't regard my drysuit as being "oversized," because I need that space under the drysuit for cold weather and cold water kayaking. Showa, you say that your drysuit keeps your body "warm," but next time you go fishing in cold weather, put on a couple more layers of clothing, and see if keeping your body slightly hot keeps your feet warmer.

Here are a couple pictures I took on a five day 116 mile Middle Fork of the Salmon trip in Idaho, launching on Marsh Creek, where we paddled through snow for the first day and a half.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:43:08 PM by pmmpete »

Bthomas

• This is the Bomb!!!
  • Herring
  • Doesn't get much better than fishing,,,
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I have been wearing these trout and steelhead fishing for like 20 years underneath quality wool socks.  They are almost like wearing women's nylons... 

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/socks/thermal-liner-socks-black.htm

These are kind of spendy but there are several brands that are more reasonably priced.

They're not perfect for me, but have definitely helped me stay warm on the Deschutes and Sandy during winter time....  I'll never winter fish without them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--------------------------------------
2016 PRo Angler 14
2017 Outback that I share with my wife occasionally...

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I have been wearing these trout and steelhead fishing for like 20 years underneath quality wool socks.  They are almost like wearing women's nylons... 

https://www.sealskinzusa.com/socks/thermal-liner-socks-black.htm

That looks like what I've been looking for to base-layer my feet - thanks!

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
I asked this same question a year or so ago and got a lot of great answers.

What I've done that has made a difference:
1)Socks. I bought a couple of pair of Underarmour over the calf (fleecy fuzzy inside). No cotton socks (poly or wool only). Cotton gets damp (sweat..or leaky suit) and stays cold. What I can't figure out is why sock manufacturers make make them so darn snug fitting around the calf/ankle. Same with my poly long underwear. I'm fairly thin and don't have overly large calves. Just kinda bugs me as I'm sure they're cutting off circulation to some degree.

2) Bought good water shoes. I got a pair of NRS boundary calf high neoprene boots. They're pricey, though I waited a bit and did get them on sale for about $70 from Backcountry. I rarely get water inside the boots which helps a lot.

3) Circulation. This is, I think, my biggest problem. Even when it's warm out, if I'm on the water for more than an hour or two, my toes start to get numb. If I shift around in my seat it helps a little. Getting out and walking around for awhile is the best fix. I do have some lower orthopedic back problems and the stock seat on the older Hobie Revo is not much support or cushion. I've been wondering if going with an aftermarket seat might help but haven't done it yet.

Good luck. It's worth figuring out how to make yourself as comfortable as possible.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
I do have some lower orthopedic back problems and the stock seat on the older Hobie Revo is not much support or cushion. I've been wondering if going with an aftermarket seat might help but haven't done it yet.

Surf to Summit GTS Elite seat plus a Skwoosh pad. Also, ADA guidelines call for 15 seconds of relief for every 15 minutes of pressure. Press yourself up out of the seat a handful of times per hour and give the blood a chance to flow unrestricted.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
"Surf to Summit GTS Elite seat plus a Skwoosh pad"

Sigh...more stuff to buy.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
"Surf to Summit GTS Elite seat plus a Skwoosh pad"

Sigh...more stuff to buy.

Or get a new Hobie with a lawn chair. :-)