Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:05:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Good rounded summary of lures and techniques for the northwest?  (Read 1600 times)

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Hi all,

Since I got my kayak and got back into fishing this year, I've been ruminating on my distinct lack of fish and the possible reasons for it over the past couple of decades.  I've always knew "it was me" since others were getting fish.  Prior to moving west, I grew up in Michigan.  Fishing was like the family sport.  Everyone did it, and we kicked fin when we did.  After moving to Idaho as a teenager, I found that suddenly I couldn't seem to catch anything at all from shore and mighty few from a boat or dock.  I then am forced to compare my one guided trip in Alaska where I've never seen or caught so many fish.  Last night during the discussion after bsteves talk on invasive species he said something along the lines of "...and that's why you can' use live bait anymore..."

At that point, a light bulb went off.  Live bait!  I was suddenly reminded of a moment with my dad.  We were fishing one of the marshes around Algonac, Mi.  I pulled a spoon from his tacklebox and said something along the lines of "this looks cool, can we use this?".  I remember my dad grabbing it and tossing it back into the tacklebox with a comment of "you don't need that.  A minnow is all you need".  You see, my grandpa had a 2 acre pond on the farm.  He raised his own minnows and worms, and crawdads were easy to find.  We ALWAYS had fresh live bait, as much as you want.  With that much available, you learn various techniques.  It's all we used, whether we were soaking bait, casting and retrieving or trolling.  Last night, I came to the sudden realization that "back in the good old days" I don't think I EVER used a lure.  Thus, approaching fishing with much confidence (because I'm used to catching lots of fish) and failing repeatedly (because I'm fishing using completely different techniques) hit my fishing confidence pretty hard and I eventually gave up.

So.

I've decided I need to really start from basics to figure out how this dead bait fishing is really supposed to work.  I've managed to catch a couple of smallmouth this year, so I'm not completely useless, but there's definitely a lot for me to learn.

Obviously, every fisherman has their own opinions on baits and techniques.  Some of that y'all have been generous to share here.  Since I won't have immersion gear this year to fish through the winter, I'm working on my yak and watching videos on youtube and trying to learn all I can to be ready for warmer days. 

My question to y'all is:  Is there a good, general reference somewhere on the web that goes over each lure type and how to use it in plain English?  Too many beginner guides just assume you know things.  Some of it I know, some of it I obviously don't.  I'm not looking for an exhaustive, every detail type of thing.  Just a general dummy's guide to lures that covers common knowledge.  For example, I only just learned by watching the underwater bass video that I've been using crankbaits completely wrong.  No one ever told me to vary the retrieve and play it about, I've just been casting and retrieving like a spinnerbait.  Seems pretty obvious now, but evidently it wasn't at one time.

It's a bit odd to have a lot of fishing experience and yet be forced into being a novice again.  Hoping I can catch up over the winter and at least have a basic toolbox of techniques to start the spring with.

Thanks!
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't know of one resource that covers everything. There are a seemingly endless variety of lures or artificial baits, and I'm of the opinion that there is no one "right" way to use any given lure.

That being said, Salmon University has a good collection of articles in the How To section for fishing the Puget Sound areas using a variety of techniques.
http://salmonuniversity.com/
Relax. You'll live longer.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Get to know people.  If you have a chance to meet up with other members you'll learn a lot even if you don't go out on the water when they go.

If you have a tackle shop nearby - not a fishing section in a big box store - buy a pack of hooks and talk to them.  I found those folks wanted me to catch a fish with something they suggested so I'd come back and buy more hooks, and they know the local fish and water.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:58:34 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
YouTube. And videos/explanations from this website can probably give you more than a winter's worth of fodder to process.  Unfortunately, a lot of photos have dropped from NWKA posts due to hosting issues, but there's still a ton of info.  Pick a species of interest and have fun!

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Thanks all,

I'm always up for a meet up somewhere.  Anyone know of a good tackle shop in the St. Helens area?  I haven't come across one.

Already doing the YouTube thing and mining the forums.  Just wondered if there wasn't a primer out there with the "basics".  Looking to confirm what I know, as much as to learn more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I found it helpful to subscribe to Salmon,Trout, Steelheader for several years and reading every article. Aside from having a few mentors and putting time in on the water, it proved useful.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Definitely read, read, read, watch (youtube), read, watch, talk, listen, and FISH, FISH, FISH! Some of the PNW fisheries can be difficult to master, or even become remotely proficient at. Coming from a Bass fishing background growing up I have had to learn all new techniques for targeting many of our fish out here. It's been fun, expensive, and I've had many fish less days, but I can say that overall it's helped me to become a better fisherman.

As for fall or wintertime fisheries you will have to keep your eye out for the "Sturgeon Social" event that is put on every year at swan island in early December, it's a great way to get to meet other kayak fisherman and catch a ton of prehistoric fish right in your own backyard.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

anything