Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New hardware—Has anybody tried this?  (Read 2597 times)

leith010

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Hey all. It’s been pretty quiet on here, so I thought I’d share what I’ve been working on lately. Has anyone tried this? I bought a mechanical release on discount at a tackle shop.  I glued some old bobber tubing on an in-line flasher and ran my line (usually I use mono) through it and then the release.  When a fish hits, the release is triggered and my flasher slides to the swivel. This way, I can run a five foot leader and when fighting a fish I only have to deal with the foot of line after my swivel. When I started fishing from my kayak, I didn’t think that small amount of extra leader would make such a huge difference in the fight. But having lost more than my share of fish at the boat, I thought I’d give this a shot. If nothing else, it’s something fun to think about while it’s too windy to fish.

I’ve caught a few halibut with it, but haven’t yet hooked into a king.    Do you all think the extra hardware will scare the fish away?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:23:20 PM by leith010 »

leith010

• Herring
 Maybe this is pretty common, but I’m new to this. Happy Thanksgiving, all.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Looks like it might work. Just check to make sure the action of the flasher is the same in the water. Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well! :)

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I've used the Long Liner for several years, and it works as advertised. I really like it. I'm sure it saved me one fish when the weight got snagged in the net and the coho took off on a screaming run when I was trying to net it. The line ran through the Long Liner while I got the weight untangled and I landed the fish.

However, I run my Long Liner above the flasher, and have the point upstream. I believe that is how the designer intended it. You have to deal with the line between the flasher and your hook, but can run your weight however far above the flasher that you want. It slides down to the flasher when you get a fish on and the release trips.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:32:26 AM by sherminator »
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

leith010

• Herring
 I’ll have to try flipping it around.  ;).    I have actually been running it with my downrigger, so it makes more sense for me to run it below the flasher. 

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I get it now - you're using it to release the flasher to slide down. That is a new take on how to use it. It was originally designed to release your weight, but there is no reason to limit it to that purpose. Cool.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Hooper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
GREAT IDEA!!!

My mantra has always been, 'Why get in a box to think in the first place, anyway?"

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
GREAT IDEA!!!

My mantra has always been, 'Why get in a box to think in the first place, anyway?"

I've never known anyone that ran a flasher for halibut. WTF do I know, maybe I'm running my gear backwards?

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

leith010

• Herring
I don’t usually run a flasher for halibut either. But every once in a while I pick one up while I’m fishing for kings.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I don’t usually run a flasher for halibut either. But every once in a while I pick one up while I’m fishing for kings.

Alaska is chock full of pleasant surprises!

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
GREAT IDEA!!!

I've never known anyone that ran a flasher for halibut. WTF do I know, maybe I'm running my gear backwards?

I troll halibut with a flasher rig. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

AKFishOn

• Lingcod

I troll halibut with a flasher rig. It works.

The few butts and juvenile lingcod I've caught in the yak have been on flasher rigs.  Hooked into what could have been a contender during the yak classic earlier this year, broke my leader due to tangled gear.  Won't be using anything less than 40 lb leader material from now on when the potential for halibut exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

From what I've read this is pretty common for calibuts. They seem to run a rig similar to what we'd use for kings in the bays on the bottom.

anything