Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: First progress on my boat  (Read 2256 times)

In2Deep

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
I hope I don't bore everyone, but I thought I'd start a thread to chronicle the boat I'm building.  It will be a long project due to time, weather, and funds, but I hope to have a fishable boat by spring.  This is my first fishing yak, so I'm sure I'll make a few mistakes as I learn.

I started with the cheapest, ugliest boat I could find that will float my fat butt (6'2" 265#).  I found a hideous OK Malibu 2 on Ifish for $170.  Here is the starting picture:

As you can see, it had a horrible "camouflage" rattle-can job flaking off of the tangerine hull.  I finally got good enough weather yesterday to do a little painting.  I didn't do as much prep work as I should have, so I half expect to need to paint it again next summer, but at least it doesn't make me sick to look at anymore.

I may use the boat occasionally to retrieve ducks, so I wanted at least a semi-camouflage theme.  Here was my first attempt:

I decided this was too dark to be seen by other boats, so I ended up using it as a base / primer coat to experiment with another idea.  I used a branch from  an arborvitae and a feather I found in the yard, and tried a random pattern:

I'm not sure I like it, so the whole boat may end up tan.

More to come....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
It may have been ugly nut it is a great starting point.  Look forward to the progress!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Just not having to sneak up on it is a great start!  Pretty interesting and appealing new paint job.  Have to impressed.  Keep in mind it's very fishable as it stands/floats, especially if your fishing in an arboretum!   You can only make it better.  For the cost you have into it, I'd take it for $200 right now for a friend who looking down the same path, lol.  It will be interesting to see how any paint holds up to sliding across sand...

Bthomas

• This is the Bomb!!!
  • Herring
  • Doesn't get much better than fishing,,,
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
The paint is a great start!!!!   Looks really good!!!!
--------------------------------------
2016 PRo Angler 14
2017 Outback that I share with my wife occasionally...

In2Deep

• Herring
Thanks guys!  Unfortunately, the paint just looks blotchy from more than about 6 feet away.  I usually use oak leaves or similar, but the arborvitae was the only plant in my yard with any foliage on it this time of year.  It is too small of pattern, so it looks like spider web cracks all over.  The good news is that spray paint is cheap, and I sort of want to repaint it anyway to get rid of some of the nasty stuff that I didn't scrape / sand before I started.

I am curious how the paint will hold.  I have used Krylon Fusion in the past for paint on plastics, but this was some ultra-flat camouflage paint designed for duck decoys (I think it's Rustoleum brand, but I'm too lazy to go to the garage to look).  So far, it seems to have bonded well, but it does scrape off if I try (I rolled the boat on the sawhorses before I added the pipe insulation, and it scraped one spot of the paint off on the 2x4).

The next step will be adding hatches to the 3 round things down the middle of the boat.  Next Adventure has the right hatch covers for these; I'm hoping to win a few bucks at poker tonight to justify buying them. :)

Once I have access to the inside of the boat through the hatches, I will start planning rod holder and fish finder installation.  I also need to buy a milk crate, a seat, and decent 230-240cm paddle before I'm ready to fish.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Dude, you have a perfect vessel for what you are doing.  That kayak is one of the most versatile kayaks available. 
It works great in lakes, rivers, and ocean and has a pretty good weight handling capacity for a kayak if that length.  Great for families with small kids, or guys with a lot of gear on board. 

I had one for several years, passed it on to a friend on the cheap once I got into Hobies.  He passed it on to another friend again on the cheap. 

Paint is just paint.  If it flakes off, it flakes off and gives you a chance to do it again a different way.

I wonder if Plasti-Dip would bond to the kayak plastic better and resist chipping/peeling off, as it is really a sprayed on rubber paint.

Great work so far!   

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Don't sweat the paint too much. Kayak plastic is extremely slippery at the molecular level. Any sweet paint job you put on it isn't going to look sweet for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

In2Deep

• Herring
Thanks.  I'm over the paint for now; I'm currently researching hatch covers.  The "Gaspachi" slip on covers for this boat are about $65 each.  Next Adventure said he could sell them to me for $45 each, and this is the best price I've found anywhere (including online).  However, I have read from one source that I could use the Wilderness Systems 8" round covers ($20 from Austin Kayak) and from another source that I could use the Harmony Gear covers ($24 from Austin Kayak).  Obviously, I don't want something that fits wrong and could leak, but I'm tempted to try one of these options.  If it saves me $75, that will go a long way toward other parts for the boat.  Any opinions?

surforegon

• Lingcod
  • cannonbeachartz.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Order 1 lid see if it fits. Austin sometimes send out a 15% off next order. Looking good!
Prowler Big Game 2, Hobie Outback,  Eddyline ultralite 12'               2016 junk jigs: Never seen that before. Second place.
2016 junk jigs: Most likely to be used as evidence in court. second place.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I had a Ocean Kayak Malibu II that I recently passed on to a friend and when I put in the square hatch on my Outback I was going to look into putting the round hatch from the Outback on mine.  I never looked at dimensions or anything and since mine already had a oval hatch in the middle of the boat for access I never did much with it.  I still have the round Hobie hatch if you'd like to see if it'd work for you.  Send me a PM if you're interested in the round hatch.

BTW... that boat was one if my favorites.  Unfortunately I had to get rid of a boat and that one drew the short straw.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

In2Deep

• Herring
I had a Ocean Kayak Malibu II that I recently passed on to a friend and when I put in the square hatch on my Outback I was going to look into putting the round hatch from the Outback on mine.  I never looked at dimensions or anything and since mine already had a oval hatch in the middle of the boat for access I never did much with it.  I still have the round Hobie hatch if you'd like to see if it'd work for you.  Send me a PM if you're interested in the round hatch.

BTW... that boat was one if my favorites.  Unfortunately I had to get rid of a boat and that one drew the short straw.
Wow!  Thank you for the offer.  I think the outback hatch is too big, but I'll shoot you a PM.