Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Oregon Rockfish Classic Announcement  (Read 9224 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
We understand that a lot of folks are anxiously awaiting an announcement about how to sign up and pay for the ORC.  Well here is what is happening, and we apologize to those who may be unhappy about it.  We are having an issue with a way to collect money.  The new tax laws which were approved last year, and take affect this year, have put a major kink in the process. 

In the past a planner, who was kind enough to collect the thousands of dollars in entry fees via a personal Paypal account, would collect the money, claim it on taxes (that amount will get noticed by the IRS), then donated that exact same amount (minus insurance fees) to HOW and Neighbors for Kids.  Essentially for tax purposes, it was a zero sum gain for that person. 

Now, in 2018, if one of us were to collect $4000 (for example) and claim it, that person can't write it off when it is donated due to the increase in standard deduction (Apparently none of us are rich enough to itemize under the new law). Then come April 15, they would have to cough up roughly $800 more out of their pocket to pay their increased tax liability.  This was not realized until recently, and the person that collected the money for the 2018 AOTY is going to feel it next April.  Neither Brian nor I want to take on that tax liability and we hope you understand.  If we had sponsor running it, like we did a couple years ago, they could be the collecting entity and provide the insurance.  However, many people did not like the fact that the ORC had moved away from being a community run event and therefore it was given back to the community. 

So, this year the plan is to just have an ORC "meet-up" like some folks do up in Hobuck, and other places.  If people want to put a pot of money together and have a competition, they can.   

We also had a recent change in how fundraising is allowed with one of the charities that provided us the "tax deductible" forms to give to sponsors that donated goods.  Therefore, without that in hand, we did not attempt to beat down the doors of sponsors.  This event will be a get-together for fun, good fishing, and  camaraderie.  And since there is no one officially in charge, no insurance, and you are basically doing what you would do any other weekend - there are no physical fishing boundaries.  You are responsible for yourself.  We can start a sign-up on another page for those still interested.

Again, our apologies.  We still hope to see a lot of folks there, and we can still use the facilities at Chinook Bend for a potluck afterwards.

Sincerely,

Brian and Craig

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Thank you for clearing it up.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Awesome! 

Thanks for bringing these details to light, as I completely understand the position you and Brian would be putting yourselves in tax wise all for the ORC.

Stupid tax laws have to make everything so complicated.

Lets make a go at refreshing the non official ORC this year and see how it goes. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Just my $0.02 but each guy could donate direct to HOW PDX and show ya the receipt, won’t help with prizes as my tournament has been seeing the sponsor drop off as well.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
"However, many people did not like the fact that the ORC had moved away from being a community run event and therefore it was given back to the community."

With all due respect, that sounds more like personal perception than fact. From my point of view, the criticism a couple years ago had more to do with transparency & inclusion in decision making than who was running the event. I saw the same problem this year. I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. PM or email me if you want my perception in more detail.

Paul

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Glad to see that communication finally came out.  A bummer that the event is being canceled though- I completely understand the reasoning. Hopefully we get a good turn out to make some side wagers and still have a great time.  I will be there Thursday- Sunday still.  Most likely there will be others who already paid for there accommodations, like myself.

Has anyone looked into a non profit status-501(c)(3) which has a designation for charitable sports competition?  I would be happy to assist as some of my work as an accountant deals with tax and i am comfortable dealing with the paperwork.  And i am comfortable being a hammer to gather sponsors  :)

I am looking forward to this year but will definitely miss the feeling of competition like in years past.  Craig and Brian, would you be open to getting other people involved in the planning of the tournament to take the burden off the two of you in future years? This is something i would personally like to be involved in and feel like with a team of people we could get this back up and running next year.

For a 501(c)(3) we would need to fill out an Article of Incorporation with the State of Oregon($100 processing fee).  If we file as an S-corp it could be free,  Since the tourney is less than 50K a year we would qualify for the form 1023EZ ($275) which is easier and cheaper than the 1023($600).  I think we could get this set up with minimal costs($375-400).  These fees are tax deductible and competition fees could could offset the fees of startup.  This 501(c)(3) designation could be used for smaller tourneys throughout the year as well if we set it up properly and all contributions were less than 50K.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:35:43 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Mac Attack

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I'll be there for the experience if nothing else, see ya there.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Just my $0.02 but each guy could donate direct to HOW PDX and show ya the receipt, won’t help with prizes as my tournament has been seeing the sponsor drop off as well.

Did you provide the sponsors with tax deductable forms?  Or were they giving free gear without one? 

Zach
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I'm surprised And disappointed with this announcement.

A "meet up" is very different from a fishing tournament as far as inclusion of everyone that shares the kayak fishing passion and enjoys friendly competition.  Sure the camaraderie is there for both - at least for the people that are included in the meet-up invite or for those that choose to participate/volunteer for the tournament aspect (in my opinion, you get out what you put in).

ORC isn't like any other NWKA event.  Certainly not like a Hobuck "meet-up" (you're dreaming if you think Hobuck is an inclusive meetup that is open for anyone to attend). 

The primary reason I like the "organized events" of NWKA is that there is an openness and inclusion in a shared sport.  NWKA is also a great community to meet like minded kayak community members and is an opportunity to meet new friends and get together in more exclusive smaller groups (like hobuck).  The events tend to and need to have leadership and decent organization and communication.  I recognize that takes a LOT of work.  Doesn't sound like ORC will fit that bill anymore for being an NWKA event- and it will return to a smaller exclusive "meet up" for only those that are in the know.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

ORC isn't like any other NWKA event.  Certainly not like a Hobuck "meet-up" (you're dreaming if you think Hobuck is an inclusive meetup that is open for anyone to attend). 
I recognize that takes a LOT of work.  Doesn't sound like ORC will fit that bill anymore for being an NWKA event- and it will return to a smaller exclusive "meet up" for only those that are in the know.

I dont think that this is the end of the ORC tournament.  We could easily all meet up at the campground and have an unofficial tournament for this year.  WE can all put it 20 bucks into the pot Friday night and fish Saturday.  We can use the same format as last year.  Instead of 80 competitors we may have only 15-30. 

We can then work on getting competitions up for 2019.  I think ther eis just paper work we need to file to cover all future tourneys.  I am looking into that now.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks Zach,

I would be very greatful for any help for next year.  At this point I no longer want to do this “under the radar” and would prefer to be a legitimate entity set up with the state.  Lack of legitimacy is starting to affect our ability to get sponsors, insurance, tax issues, etc...

Brian

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Thanks Zach,

I would be very greatful for any help for next year.  At this point I no longer want to do this “under the radar” and would prefer to be a legitimate entity set up with the state.  Lack of legitimacy is starting to affect our ability to get sponsors, insurance, tax issues, etc...

Brian

We need to set up a small board of directors and bylaws per Oregon law haha.  Want to meet over beers and create some bylaws.  I will record the minutes and bylaws and submit for filing.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Did you provide the sponsors with tax deductable forms?  Or were they giving free gear without one? 

Zach
I can’t give tax forms I’m a third party event that benefits HOW... so the few companies that did send me gear.... DID IT FOR THE VETERANS.... not the write off so keep that in mind when shopping for Lancer Jigs, Pro Cure scents, Stealth Rod Holders, Kershaw Knives, The fish Grippers, Next Adventure, Tillamook Sporting Goods,Cannon Beach Artz(Surforegon if you want a custom bone necklace) and the Garibaldi Cannery.... (Plug over)  ;D

Just a little heads up next year’s event will have a split 50/50 for the funds raised and the other charity WILL allow the write off donation receipts ( wish someone would have told me there split charity raisers we’re doing that) when I asked how others were getting the donations NONE of them mentioned the Non-HOW charity was writing letters for the prizes? Just saying.... could have told me!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The ORC started out as bunch of guys, most of whom only knew each other from the NWKA website, getting together for some ocean fishing.  That 1st year we called it the Oregon Coast Derby.  It was a lot of work to identify a venue, campground etc. but it was a labor of love. 

As time went by, the event grew and so did member participation in the planning and execution.  It took a lot of hard work and for the years that I ran the event, I could always find someone willing to step up and help shoulder the load.  It was the purest manifestation of what NWKA is. 

Well, this year, the tax laws are forcing us to take a huge step backward.  But, that doesn't have to be a bad thing.  It simply presents us with an opportunity to draw on the hearts, backs and minds of our NWKA members to create the solutions needed to continue this 10 year old tradition.

Here are some Ideas/Opportunities:

- Zach it sounds like you've already invested a bit of energy into figuring out how to create a non-profit LLC.  If you have the time, this could be instrumental in running future NWKA events (both ORC and others).

- Brian/Allen - Maybe we should set up a planning board in the forum where members can coordinate contest planning efforts.

- I'd like to suggest that anybody who wants to compete, show up at camp or the ramp with a crisp $50 bill.  We can throw the money in a pot and split it up as a cash payout for biggest fish/bag etc.  Somebody want to step up  to coordinate this?

- We can do a collection or raffle to benefit either HOW or the Neighbors for Kids program in Depoe Bay.

What do you guys think?

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
We can then work on getting competitions up for 2019.  I think ther eis just paper work we need to file to cover all future tourneys.  I am looking into that now.

Good on you, Zach!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything