Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:13:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Oregon Rockfish Classic Announcement  (Read 9229 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Brain is failing me, did the Hobie Worlds qualifier and the NA event happen at the same ORC?

Nope. 
Hobie Fishing Worlds Qualifier was 2014.
NA was 2015 .

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Who gets the $850 start-up fees?  I've started two 501(c)(3) corporations - not in Oregon, for sure - and it cost $25 each.  Holy cow!  What's it cost to transfer an existing non-profit's corporate registration to Oregon?

If Next Adventure or anyone else wants to "run" ORC, couldn't NWKA Volunteers do the on-site grunt work to keep it running smoothly?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Who gets the $850 start-up fees?  I've started two 501(c)(3) corporations - not in Oregon, for sure - and it cost $25 each.  Holy cow!  What's it cost to transfer an existing non-profit's corporate registration to Oregon?

If Next Adventure or anyone else wants to "run" ORC, couldn't NWKA Volunteers do the on-site grunt work to keep it running smoothly?

I'm not sure about the fees for setting a nonprofit in Oregon.  I've heard and seen various numbers from $50 to $1000+.  I think it comes down to a range of choices between how much you are willing to navigate the complex requirements by yourself to save some money and hiring a law firm to do things for you.

As for having an outside group run ORC... I guess how that works would be up to them.   I certainly would prefer the involvement of NWKA members.   I think a companies insurance might dictate some of that.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
To set up a 501 c 3 in Oregon you need to file for your corporations name- cost approx=50. You also need to complete a 1023 or a 1023ez. Since we will donate less than 50,000 a year we would qualify for the 1023ez. This form has a 750 dollar filing fee(this may have been lowered to 400-500 as I heard talk that it would but have not followed up to check). If we were to donate more than 50,000 the cost doubles.

Please double check my amounts though through the IRS literature. I am an accountant by trade but I am no expert in tax and non profit- my focus has been on capital expenditures and government reports. However tax and government reports are pretty similar in terms of understanding what is required for filing . I have heard that someone may already have the paperwork ready to file so I am holding off on getting anything started or
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:54:05 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I won't check up on it Zach.  I've filed non-profit taxes without a filing fee but the last time I did that was in a different century.  Geez, life is expensive these days, even if you're a poor, penniless charity.

Brian, I agree that a corporate sponsorship is the way to go, but after reading INSAYN's remarks about how FUBAR it was with a sponsor, it seemed that NWKA members did most of the heavy lifting the day of the event anyway.

I'll hush now, thanks for the explanations...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I was the only one to launch from Fogarty.  I went out with my 8 year old daughter in my tandem and it was probably the easiest beach launch and landing I've had in awhile. However, once we got out to Government Point the swell picked up a bit and my daughter started feeling queasy and we went back in.

Insurance isn't too much of a problem with the American Canoe Association (that's what I've used the past few years).   It requires a bit of paperwork and enough volunteers to fill out the requisite safety roles.

Non-profit status might help with our issues.  It might also mean a lot of extra paperwork and more restrictions on what we can and can't do.   Hopefully someone can sort this out.

We've also had a couple offers from outside NWKA to help run the event.  We tried this once with Next Adventure, but it went south.  However, I still think it's the best option and alleviates a lot of the headaches with paperwork (taxes and insurance) on our part.    I think the trick it to find a partner that will work closely with us and listen to our input.

Brian
That sounds good to me. I'd like to help out in some way. Please let me know about any upcoming planning meetings.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
What, exactly, was the problem with NA? From an out of area conpetitor standpoint the NA run event was the best one. So I’m assuming it was some back of house behind the scene problem?

From a competitor standpoint, I don't know all the issues as I wasn't there.  However, the following year I had a LOT of people very happy that I was back to running the taco feed as that was apparently a disappointment to quite a few people when NA ran it. 

IIRC the main issue was complaints about transparency with the money (IIRC it took them a long time afterwards to make the donation to HOW and NFK, plus just lack of communication about how much money came in vs. out for expenses, etc).  Plus other communication related issues.
+1

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
What, exactly, was the problem with NA? From an out of area conpetitor standpoint the NA run event was the best one. So I’m assuming it was some back of house behind the scene problem?

From a competitor standpoint, I don't know all the issues as I wasn't there.  However, the following year I had a LOT of people very happy that I was back to running the taco feed as that was apparently a disappointment to quite a few people when NA ran it. 

IIRC the main issue was complaints about transparency with the money (IIRC it took them a long time afterwards to make the donation to HOW and NFK, plus just lack of communication about how much money came in vs. out for expenses, etc).  Plus other communication related issues.

There were several issues that struck me as poor planning, lack of planning, or purely failed execution (each person may look at these differently than I do).

-Sponsor donated prizes were down due to them not wanting to use Jammers awesome list that he offered them up front.  Less than a month out from the event, they finally wanted his list. 

-The entry fee was bumped up to $50. NA said this covers launch fees, shuttle service fuel, safety boat fuel, food and drink (oil, fryers, plates, utensils, and non alcoholic drinks.  Hmmm...read on. 

-Launch time was set at 0600, and we could not launch until we were signed out.  NA didn't show up until just after 0600, and still needed to get through the 50+ kayaker's lined up and waiting for their safety check out. 

-The safety check out really pissed me off, as they didn't actually check people.  Rather they had a number system and all was needed was to say something like I'm #14 and my buddy down at the launch is number #7 and we are ready to go.  Buddy down at the launch is wearing shorts, T shirt and water shoes!  Not the required attire that was listed in the rules.  This put many of us in a sticky situation where if these IDIOTS that dress that way get knocked over and can't get back in and we are the closest to help them. 

-The fish fry was a miss!  Several folks including myself, asked NA if we could help with the fish fry well before the event.  Was told "no need" as they have this under control.  So, I left it at that.  Well about 5pm on game day several non-NA staff (rather, NWKA volunteers) came up to my camp begging John and I to help out with the fish fry as NA was MIA.  Didn't see that coming.   :bs:

-Then the raised sponsor tally.  The event was on July 11th. NA didn't post the financials until August 27th which is completely unnecessary to have it take that long.  For example, that same year CBY had his AOTD event on August 22nd and had his results on August 25th (still ahead of ORC results).  It was just Roy and Dude running it, and they had to leave early at the crack of dawn to go out of state for a day or so on top of that. 

Did I miss anything?   :icon_scratch:
+1 again. I could probably come up with a few other things that annoyed me, but I'm unwilling to continually beat a dead horse. Hopefully these replies answer the question & the lessons are learned.

anything