Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hello from Vancouver, BC  (Read 1854 times)

Garrick

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Hi all,

I have just signed up. I am based in Vancouver, BC. I have been fishing since I was a kid and started kayak fishing last year. The net result was lots of paddling and learning the basics of kayak fishing around the gulf islands and sunshine coast. I even caught a few fish, mainly rockfish and lingcod. I love the tranquilty of kayak fishing and being so close to the water.

The dream is to get my 1st salmon from a kayak, don't care if it is 12" or 12lbs

It would be great to meet up with any anglers based in the lower mainland and or traveling to the area.

Heading to gulf islands this weekend. Will post a report when I get back.

Looking forward to being part of the community!

• Date Registered: Dec 2012
Hey Garrick,
I fish out of Jericho in Vancouver - around the freighter and out to the Bell Buoy.  There is a pretty good stretch in Vancouver from about 2nd week in August to end August. 
We should head out then! 
What type of boat do you have / gear?
I have hooked one nice fish salmon but didn't land it.  I fish a lot out of friends boats but really want to catch one out of a yak.

Garrick

• Herring
Hi wishiniwasfishin,

Good to hear from you. It would be great to head out in August to try for salmon.

I have pompano 120 paddle kayak. It is rigged with a fishfinder and the usual bits and pieces.  I don't have a down rigger so would have to trawl old school or jig fish.

Have you tried for the coho returning to the Cap and Seymor at this time of year? Was thinking of giving the ambleside area a fish.

Thanks for reaching out!

• Date Registered: Dec 2012
It sounds like we are set up similarly - I don't have a rigger either but the fish in August are pretty high in the water column.  I just use a diver but again, I am no expert.
We should definitely give it a shot mid August though.
I haven't fished the Cap or Seymour mostly though because I don't have anyone to fish with and loading up the kayak is not a one man job - for me at least.
Have you been out much this year?

Garrick

• Herring
Great, lets definitely make a plan to get out in August. I am pretty much a weekend warrior.

I did a recon trip to ambleside this morning. Didnt get anything, but saw a few fish once the boats moved out of the area. I will pack in a light spinning outfit next time. Hopefully in a couple of weeks it should be pretty good, especially if it does not rain.  I will let you know when I plan to head out again.

I have had 5 days on the water so far. I would definitely go out more often if I was fishing in a group.

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I would also be down for Ambleside in August on the weekends if you want another guy.

Garrick

• Herring
Great, the more the merrier.
Was thinking of trying ambleside on the weekend of the 20th July.  Have not checked the tides yet, but it would be an early start.

Anybody interested?

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Ahh, too bad. I'm taking off that weekend for a week of kayak camping/fishing on the island. I'll still be down for some August fishing though.

Yak fisher

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Good to see another kayak fisher in Vancouver!

Garrick

• Herring
Thanks!
Glad to see you are out on the water. How is your season going so far? Had any luck off of North Van?

I will post  when I am going to be out on the water next.

Tight lines

Garrick

• Herring
@ DBam

Have a good trip to the  island. Hope you get into some fish.

I will post when I plan to head out in August