Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New to kayak fishing.  (Read 1427 times)

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Hello all.  I've been lurking in the weeds for a few days at NWKA.  I have been fishing in WA for a couple decades (using a 17'  outboard),  but in recent years  I've been discouraged by the cost and time-investment for trips to Neah Bay.  I have focused on Neah Bay for the triple-play of Kings, bottom fish and Halibut.  I'm hoping that the old maxim;  that the smaller the boat-the more use/fun,  will prove true with a kayak.  I don't have much experience in kayaks,  but I have built a skin-boat and I've just recently been fishing (Cape Cod)  in my brother's Hobie tandem.   The relative utility of kayak fishing (no motor/trailer to hassle with)  was immediately obvious. 

I've begun to research the pros/cons of pedal vs Mirage drive yaks,  and been profiting from the insightful comments at NWKA.  I imagine that the used boat market may have some opportunities,  now that the new Hobies are to be released.  As a Kingston resident,  I plan to fish Point No Point and maybe the small bays on the coast (south of Neah Bay).   

BTW: Another brother has just purchased a Pescador Pilot 12 (demo)  for $1000 cash.  He fishes regularly with a Hobie Revo,  but he has had troubles with the cables in the drive.  It's not rust.  He somehow wears the cables out.  Best wishes, kaz. 
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

DARice

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Welcome to NWKA!

I've definitely found that boats more easily transported and launched get more use by me. But with house hunting, selling, buying and moving, and work my Revo has had little use this year. Nowhere to go but up!

I haven't had any noticeable wear on my Revo 13 drive cables. You might start a topic with that subject to see if others have any experience with the problem and possible solutions.

Dave

kaz

• Perch
Hey Dave!

I've been reading everything I can find that compares/contrasts  the Mirage drives vs the props, and besides my brother,  I've only read one complaint about the Mirage cables.  It might have to do with extreme usage.  My brother fishes every chance he can get (is also undaunted by 10+ mile round trips),  and is unusually rugged ( 3rd degree black belt and Judo sensei ).  I'm puzzled-he's replaced the cables more than once.  I know that the Hobies are justifiably loved by yak anglers.

I sympathize  with your house hunting travail.  If you're in the NW it's a brutal market.  When I moved from Vermont to the Seattle area (20 years ago) ,  I predicted we would become the next San Francisco.

Good Luck,

kaz

Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
You can always replace the cables with stronger chords
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have broken a cable on my older Outback but, it has seen hundreds of miles (or more) of saltwater use since 2011.  I am curious if your brother likes to try to go as fast as he can a lot by the way you described him.  I have seen people push these kayaks hard and a lot of people do not understand they are not planing vessels, they are displacement vessels with a theoretical hull speed - aka they can not go past a certain speed.  If you try to go faster than that, you are putting more strain on your drive train with nothing to gain but a bigger bow wave and unnecessary wear and tear.

kaz

• Perch
It definitely could be a matter of over-hard use.  He fishes the waters south of NYC and the Long Island Sound.  The tidal flows aren't particularly strong,  but he's talked about very long,  very  strenuous,  runs against the tides/wind.  In most circumstances,  it's an open-water fishery. 

On a recent family gathering at North Truro, MA,  I noticed that he has set the seat to allow for maximum extension on the pedals.  Maybe he is maxing-out  the normal "range-of-motion" of the Mirage drive.  He loved his Revo,  but he couldn't resist the Pescador Pilot for $1000. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I sheared teeth off the sprocket twice and snapped the idler cable in my Hobie drive in the Puget Sound summer Chinook fisheries this year. All times it was covered under their warranty and fixed for free. The type of use and how much of it I do isn't very comparable to the rest of the kayak fleet though.

Fish hard.

anything