Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Which One!!!!!  (Read 3943 times)

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
  • So....Let the break up begin!!!!!
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Ok so i brought this up in the AK forum but i wanted everyone's input as well. Due to shipping cost and me PCS'ing back to the lower 48 next year or so i am not going to pay the crazy price for a Hobie up here i have chose to go with the REI free shipping route. So with that being said i need help with which one to pick. I am looking at the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T or a Tarpon 120. I like both yaks and they both have their perks. I was wondering what you guys likes and dislikes and then go from there. I am a short guy around 5'7 and weigh about 200lbs so paddling is not tough for me as i am in great shape so not worried about that kinda stuff but more of the rigging aspect. I love the slidetrax of the Tarpon and i like the Rod Pod  on the OK. So let me know what you guys think so i can get this thing ordered so the boys from AK can bring home the King Derby win (and gals...forgot about fishergal lol). Primarily for ocean fishing and i am a jig fishing fool so more along the lines of deeper waters here in Alaska.  thanks in advance, Matt
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:36:19 PM by AK Yak Atak »
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hard to go wrong with either. However, I think the T13 gets the edge on storage and the rod pod for the ocean would be nice. It probably tracks a bit better too but both are very nice boats. If the price was the same I'd probably got with the T13. I own a Tarpon 120 by the way.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
The great thing about REI is if you don't like it you don't have to buy it.  Order the one you like the most and if it doesn't work out. No loss.

I'd pick the OK because of the storage and the rod pod.  Make sure you get a rudder.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
The rod pod on the OK isn't so much needed while you're still in Alaska, since launching in the surf zone is unlikely. But overall storage is great on the Prowler 13 -- and I agree with Kenai Guy that the rudder is essential.  Whichever yak you choose, it will be great to have you at Anchor Point hunting the big King.  Looking forward to it. In this regard, I don't mind being included as one of the guys. LOL.

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
Well as it sits i think all of my signs are pointing to the Prowler. Just too much there not to get. If i order by Monday it will be here by Apr 21 lol so hopefully I can make the trip for that weekend, If not then we have all summer. I am going on all out on this yak since i sold my synergy fishing yak on Craigslist in like 3 hours lol. I will order the yak tomorrow along with fishfinder, rod holders, and all of the fixins. PM me for my number for this weekend coffee at the show.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I have a T13 and loved it until my elbows forced me into a Revo.  There are many things I liked about the T13 over the Revo.  Not sure about the differences between the T120 and T13.  The rod pod is good for both storage and a flat working surface.  The Sonar Shield is a great place for hoodie/glove/lunch storage.  The tank well is deep, steep, and retains fish.  The plastic is sturdy.  The rudder is required for fishing.  If I was going back to paddling this is the boat I'd be using.  Love the scupper transducer mount!

Here are my T13 rigging adventures (the site is old and not particularly maintained):  http://www.demonick.com/kayak/

There are a couple of other useful mods, the sonar shield bungees and the rod pod bungees. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I've never owned a T13, but I did own a Tarpon.  The slide trax are nice, but um, get the T13.

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Probably can't go wrong with the Trident 13.

When I was shopping for a SOT yak, I ended up choosing the Tarpon 140 over the T-13. When I first started my research, I originally thought I wanted the Tarpon 160, but when I actually saw one, I could see that it was way too huge, unwieldy and heavy for my purposes. The struggle to get it to the water would surely deter me from going as often as I would with a yak that was easier to handle on land. And it was too long for quick or tight maneuvering in the tidal creeks I like to paddle.

Even my Tarpon-140 seems huge and heavy when loading, at 14' and approx 78 lbs (stripped of removable accessories, but with some add-ons). I am now hauling it on a canoe trailer, and use a beach cart to transport it from my trailer to the water, unless I can drive to the water's edge.

Still, I like the hull design, and the way it paddles. It was almost a toss-up between the Tarpon 140 and the OK T-13, but I could see that the 8" center hatch in front of the seat on the Tarpon functioned almost as well as a rod pod, and was more readily accessible, right between my knees.
Once I get my Tarpon in the water, I really like it. It has more storage than I need, unless I want to go on a camping trip. That's only because I'm so bad with filling up available space, that I become my own worst enemy when packing a pack.

My Tarpon also seems to be built with denser and stiffer polyethylene than the other makes I've looked at. It is definitely not too soft, nor the hull too thin. It is a 2009 model.

The Tarpon has a skinnier nose, with less outward "flare" on top of the bow than the Trident, so it has a tendency to punch thru the lip when going over a cresting wave (approaching it head-on). I actually prefer this, as I feel that it smoothes out the ride. This might result in a wetter ride, though. The seating is dry, adjustable, and very comfortable.
It paddles and handles fine on flat water without a rudder, but I just installed one to help with sailing, as well as managing my yak when I hook a big fish, especially with other boats around.

I like the slide trax, and I use them. I have made my own sliding "clip pads" to manage my sailing lines, have a "side board" that i am going to use for mounting accessories, and plan to use the trax to affix a leeboard system I am going to make.

If I was shopping for a new yak right now, and didn't have my Tarpon 140, I am not sure if I would buy one, though. I'd probably go into hawk for an AI and also get me a Torqueedo to boot!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:12:32 PM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

topwater

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
YakAttack sells gear tracs you can put on any boat.  You can have the Prowler with a slidetrax type system.

Chris

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I loves ma T13's!  The Tarpons have a nice hull shape but not a lot of nose or tail rocker.  And, you can't beat the rodpod for easy storage of extra rods/gear.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

AK Yak Atak

• Herring
Just transfered the money into my checking from savings so i should be ordering the OK Prowler T13 by the end of the day or tomrrow. I can wait to get the rigging done and what not so i can go after some halibut.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Are you getting the rudder?  You should get the rudder.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com