Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:29:03 PM]

[Today at 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak fishing camping ideas  (Read 37522 times)

salemite

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I see that this is an old link, but wanted to share a trip that I took this summer.  My 11 year old son and I left from the green bridge in Jefferson Oregon and paddled all the way to Salem.  We didn't do any fishing, just a three day float and camping trip.  First night we set up camp on the bank of the Santiam and second night on an island in the middle of the Willamette.  All together we figured it was right around 50 miles and never had to get out and walk.  Only suggestion is to bring hamocks instead of a tent, there aren't many good spots with out rocks to set up a tent.  Next summer we plan on bringing some poles and doing the same float again.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I haven't done a multi-day trip on it but I have heard that it can be done on the Umpqua. Excellent smallmouth fishing similar to the John Day... but I think that it is fished a bit less because of access. There are also some decent rapids that you may have to portage but an extremely beautiful and unique river system.

YESSSSSS! I have done multi-day trips (80-some mile floats) on the Umpqua years ago with the Boy Scouts in an aluminum canoe. We camped along the river. We carried what we needed for the day but had a chase crew with our tent, sleeping bag and cooking gear. Now there is very limited "Camp grounds" in the area but you can camp on the shore.

Just this summer, ReelMcCoy and I did an epic kayak fishing float from the town of Umpqua to James Wood. We were thinking of going as far as Osprey, but just that stretch alone was a dawn to dusk float when you are catching that many fish!!! There were in fact a couple of stretches of skinny water that were hazards to get through or around. Definitely want to do it again!

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=16837.0
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

johnycoho

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I've been wanting to do a paddle trip on the Willamette for a while now the one thing that bugs me is that I haven't been able to find any parks that allow boat- in camping once you go downstream past Champoeg. Do you now if there is anywhere to boat- in and camp in the lower river past Champoeg?

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I haven't done it but I do have the book somewhere. The willamette water trail I think it's a guide book and has all the sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnycoho

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thanks, if anyone else has any info I would be very grateful.

williamesch

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
One that my cousin and I want to do is siltcoos lake. Launch from one of the boat ramps or campgrounds on the creeks then make out way to a island to camp for the night. the opportunity to catch multiple species out there would make it a good camping trip for AOTY points.

2016 Angler of the day- 1st place
2019 ORC - 3rd place

2016 hobie outback
2019 old town topwater
2021 Wilderness systems recon

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I haven't done it but I do have the book somewhere. The willamette water trail I think it's a guide book and has all the sites.

"The Willamette River Field Guide"  by Travis Williams is a quite comprehensive book about traveling on the Willamette from river mile 187 down to 0. 
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Does anyone know if Kayak Shed still does the John Day float?  I looked on their web site but didn't see anything.  That sounds like a really fun trip with a bunch of like minded paddlers.  I know I've done some multi day floats as a kid in Oregon with the boy scouts but I can't recall where.  It would be lots of fun to do again now with an emphasis on fishing.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
It was listed on their website several months ago , the weekend of June 8-11th.  It's in the events, under 'About Us'.  Says to call for details.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:35:23 PM by Dan_E »

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Sweet. I can get a report the weekend before I go solo.