Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pacific City Saturday Sept 15  (Read 2262 times)

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Saturday the 15th looks promising at PC.  Thinking of dropping a crab pot and trying for rockfish. 

I haven’t been in open water before so would welcome a tour guide.   ;)

Anyone interested? 
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Ah man, if it wasn't my anniversary this weekend I'd be there.  Looks like it may be a "Ray day"
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I plan on being there Saturday, provided that the forecast remains good. It is changing on a daily base at the moment and also the wind forecast is going up and down (yesterday there was still a pretty bad wind forecast for Saturday, now it looks much better). If I go I will also bring a crab pot.

Final go/no-go decision on Friday.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
How do you freeze your crab?  I’ve done cooked  crab cakes vacuum selaled, but that’s about it with crab.

I’m planning on fishing Friday for coho at pc, but might just fish for lings and crab if it’s sloppy from all the south winds
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:33:57 PM by onefish »
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
@Dungydog:

As you wrote you haven't been in the open water before, you may be unaware of this: the location at PC where almost everyone drops his pots is 60ft deep. One of the standard lengths for rope is 50ft, so if you have this then your rope is too short.....(I heard of one location with decent crabbing with 40ft of water but have never tried that) 

Dungydog

• Rockfish
@Stinger Hook. Thanks for the heads up.  My plan is to double up my rope (to 80ft) and will probably add a second bouy too. 

That reminds me, I need a refresher on setting waypoints on the ff so I I’ll be able to find the darn thing.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
@Dungydog:

As you wrote you haven't been in the open water before, you may be unaware of this: the location at PC where almost everyone drops his pots is 60ft deep. One of the standard lengths for rope is 50ft, so if you have this then your rope is too short.....(I heard of one location with decent crabbing with 40ft of water but have never tried that)

+1 on Stinger Hook.  If you are going to double up your rope, might as well make it an even 100 ft.  If you ever plan to crab out of Depoe Bay, one of my go to spots, and popular with the charters is at 80ft.  However, use weighted rope or get a clip on rope weight, as the Dory guys, and most people get pissed if they see a ton of line floating on the water.

Also, one full size foam buoy is plenty.  A second buoy isn't necessary and will take up already limited space in your kayak.   I head out with my trap already set up and baited, with the rope and buoy inside and ready to go. When you deploy, let all of your rope and buoy out first before you toss the trap overboard.  One knot in the wrong spot, and everything goes to the bottom.

Even with your GPS locked in on your trap, there will be other buoy's there most likely, and it's a good sign you are in the right spot.  Use a fat sharpie pen and put your name or big initials on your float so you can ID it.  All of the floats are red and white, yellow or orange.

For crabbing locations at PC, pretty much anywhere south and south east of the rock in at least 50ft, and relatively flat bottom is a good spot.  Two weeks ago, crabs were plentiful, big, hard shelled and full of meat.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
For a second buoy you can take a dry bag and fluff some air inside, roll up tight and clip the handle around the rope. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
It makes me happy to see so many people dropping their pots further out!  That way mine is by itself and I only have to lift it half as far.  ;D

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Crabbing has sucked this summer.  Deeper water is probably a better bet.  It’s definitely picked up as of late but nothing like last couple of seasons.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Are you looking at the wind waves - those 2-3ft at 4 seconds swells coming out of the South?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Dungydog

• Rockfish
@Tinker  - thanks for the heads up.  Yeah I think I'll be changing plans, as it's no fun fishing in a washing machine.  The initial swell looks decent, but wind speed and wind waves have me nervous.

With kayaking, I always error on the side of safety and common sense - 1 because of risk and 2 because of enjoyment. 

That said, anyone think I'm overreacting?

-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
@Tinker  - thanks for the heads up.  Yeah I think I'll be changing plans, as it's no fun fishing in a washing machine.  The initial swell looks decent, but wind speed and wind waves have me nervous.

With kayaking, I always error on the side of safety and common sense - 1 because of risk and 2 because of enjoyment. 

It's your gut and your day.  Completely your choice and not to be condemned or considered overreacting. 

I have my limits for days on the water, and my limits are not entirely based on my ability to get out and go fishing.  Some of my limits are set on how the immediate ocean surface or the wind will be reacting.  I know what I can handle in terms of launches and conditions, and with experience I have easily called off a day on the ocean, or left early because I have no desire to fish in a washing machine or the wind.  I can always go another day and not get beat around on confused surface conditions.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
MSW shows the wind waves settling down a bit right now.  Not a lot, but some.  I'd still expect a washing machine, but a lesser washing machine than they were predicting six hours earlier, and I'd also keep an eye on later changes in their prognostications.

I've been overheard saying that a forecast for the coast is good for maybe 3 hours.  It's true.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012

I look at this webcam to gauge the MSW forecasts.   I think the wind forecast looked a bit dodgy as well. https://www.capekiwandarvresort.com/MOBI/Webcam.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:42:53 AM by alpalmer »
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

anything