Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:56:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Oregon SalmonCatching 2018  (Read 4073 times)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Has anyone been catching any fall salmon in Oregon?  Nehalem, Tillamook, Siletz, Salmon, Coos Bay, Elk, Chetco  ??  Anywhere?  Anyone?

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I haven’t heard anything good lately in the Newport area.  I fished Siletz about 10 days ago, and it was dead: never saw or heard of a fish, despite a lot of pressure.  But I hooked and lost a mid-teens Chinook right out front of Depoe Bay last Friday, only a hundred yards west of the bell buoy.  Of course, that was after 4+ hours of trolling.

A good rain storm to flush out the rivers and pull in some fish would be nice.
aMayesing Bros.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Has anyone been catching any fall salmon in Oregon?  Nehalem, Tillamook, Siletz, Salmon, Coos Bay, Elk, Chetco  ??  Anywhere?  Anyone?

The Sixes and the Elk are blocked by the sand bars and won't open until we get heavy rains - figure anywhere between late this month up to as late as Thanksgiving before the salmon can get in.  They are coming into the Coquille (but not yet in large numbers) having seen a couple of nice ones pulled out while someone was busy fly-fishing for crabs.  Drove along the Umpqua and the Siuslaw into and back from I-5 this past weekend and there were almost no boats anywhere on the water or being trailered to the water along either river, but I can't say anything about the ocean outlets.

The NOAA bar cameras (https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/marine/bars_mover.php) were showing a traffic jam at the Chetco bar when they were last working.

Other than that, I know nothing.  I will add that the rivers are unusually warm right now and that might be slowing things down a bit. 
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I caught a whopper yesterday!

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I fished last week in the ocean/ Tillamook bay from a pb.  My friend and I caught 17 for the week.  No chinook and all but one were wild coho.

We fished the ghost hole a little, but all our fish were near the tips of the jetty or just outside. 
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I fished the upper tide water of the Nestucca a week ago. No action for me and also saw no action. Heard of a few fish being caught at first light (but I was still driving at that time).

Then I fished the Ghost Hole in Tillamook Bay this week (Tuesday). Trolled and trolled and trolled until my legs couldn't go anymore....I was the only person in a kayak, among some 50 power boats. Only saw two fish getting caught all morning. One at Hobsonville Pt and the other one a bit north of Hobsonville. The Ghost Hole itself was dead. Tons of seaweed so it was continuously cleaning the line....People that i spoke to said that the Ghost Hole had been very slow for days already.

I am now eyeing the forecast for Pacific City's ocean conditions for the weekend. Done with salmon fishing until we see some rain.

• scupper pro.low budget/tech style.coast local
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Salmon river is slow too.Paddled from knight park to past 101 bridge on sunday.Saw a few fish jump but no takers.ODFW at the boat ramp said 5 fish were brought in all day.Been fishin off the bank the last few mornings and havent seen many fish caught.Hoping for sundays forecast to hold so maybe some bottom fish can get killed.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Got a report from a friend who's been fishing the Siuslaw from his PB every other day for the last week.  His word: "Lousy." He's landing one coho a day.  Guides are getting maybe one Chinook a day.  Says it's worse than last year by a long shot.  He says the crowd is pretty thin compared to last year though, so you might get some water to yourself.

Ocean forecast is looking good for some lingcod fishing this Sunday  ::).
aMayesing Bros.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
my avatar is a Yaquina Chinook from 2013 when I bought my red hobie.  It's been so long, I feel like that's the most recent salmon I've caught.  I hooked two big chinook on the Nehalem that both came off, and caught 2 chinook jacks at the HOW event early Sept.  Got busy with various non-kayak-fishing the rest of the month, but hope to do some catching in October!  Come on RAIN.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I saw a few nice salmon posted on fishbook by some friends fishing the rogue bay today, looked steady.

danr

• Perch
  • 2017 hobie outback
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
been seeing a lot cought on the rogue at gold beach, seen a few landed last weekend on the chetco. haeding out there this weekend,  going for salmon, lings and if we are lucky thresher shark..

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I've backed off kayak fishing the last year with some health issues, but did grab this nook in Nestucca tidewater 2 weeks back.

I was told that the new thing on the internet is to have your tongue out in photos. It's the new selfie. All the cool kids are doing it.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

jsmccormick

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Took the pb out on a mini vacation

Tried siletz Monday with no luck. Water is still warm and needs rain.

Went to tillamook Tuesday and got one. Only saw 2 others caught.

Went to tillamook Wednesday as well and went 1/3. Lost two that spit the hook mid fight. Maybe 10ish caught that day.

Tons of boats out. Cleaning seaweed ever 10min was a pain but payed off.
2016 2nd Place Brownlee Crappie Shootout
2015 7th Place Boniville Bass Bonanza

2015 Hobie Revolution 13
2015 Hobie Oasis

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Thanks for the report Jason - sounds like you were doing the right things at tillamook.  What was your salmon setup?

Pinstriper: I think that pose coulda been photo of the month-if only it was in a kayak.

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
there are a few driftboats working the estuary on the Chetco. Some nice fish taken but a bit slow. They have been in the mouth for a few weeks now. we need the rain!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.