Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Tillamook bay bottom fishing. 9/27/18  (Read 5402 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
It makes sense.  Match the hatch and you'll have a better chance. 

I suck at jetty fishing, and didn't do so hot when I fished Tilly Bay from my Hobie Island.  Mostly because I'm still thinking ocean, so I used bigger baits. 

Met a guy fishing off the jetty at Newport, and he was actually using a small Rooster tail.  Cast, let it sink for a few seconds and slow retrieve.   His numbers were not near what you have been able to recover Codeman, but the tides and timing may have played into it. 

Sounds like next time I try to fish a jetty, or even Tilly Bay, I'll take my Crappie rod with light line and 1/4-3/8's oz with gulp minnows for sure.  Might even try some of my Rooster tails (that haven't seen water in many years). 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
It makes sense.  Match the hatch and you'll have a better chance. 

I suck at jetty fishing, and didn't do so hot when I fished Tilly Bay from my Hobie Island.  Mostly because I'm still thinking ocean, so I used bigger baits. 

Met a guy fishing off the jetty at Newport, and he was actually using a small Rooster tail.  Cast, let it sink for a few seconds and slow retrieve.   His numbers were not near what you have been able to recover Codeman, but the tides and timing may have played into it. 

Sounds like next time I try to fish a jetty, or even Tilly Bay, I'll take my Crappie rod with light line and 1/4-3/8's oz with gulp minnows for sure.  Might even try some of my Rooster tails (that haven't seen water in many years). 

Ive read many reports of using spinners for RF, especially off of the jetties at night. However, there is sooo much gunk in the water, even when it looks clear, im afraid a spinner would get jammed up with small amounts of "moss" and not spin anymore rather quickly. One suggestion if you try it....replace the treble with single, larger siwash hook. I cant imagine trying to remove trebles from 50+ spastic RF!.

For those who are interested, I am looking at thurs Oct 11 as a possible Tillamook bay day. just a bout perfect low tide, Ill prob launch around 7am, or just before.  Will depend on nothing popping up in my busy life, or what the weather forecast says.  While i dont mind sprinkles, im not driving that far to freeze in a pouring rain.  Maybe respond to this posting, and / or send me a PM, Ill keep track of who all wants to go (if any).

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I want to take your tips and apply it to fly fishing there.  That could be really fun.  I'll have to watch the conditions on the 11th to see if that might work.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

codeman

• Rockfish
I want to take your tips and apply it to fly fishing there.  That could be really fun.  I'll have to watch the conditions on the 11th to see if that might work.

I think a sinking fly would work great, a really slow drop would drive the rf crazy. As long as there's little to no salad in the water, should work great. If there is, you'll have to fish vertically
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:13:44 PM by codeman »

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I’d be interested in going.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

codeman

• Rockfish
I’d be interested in going.

If you dont mind / feel comfortable with it, send me a PM with your cell number. I have another guy interested too.  That'll make it easier for me to send out a group text with a go / no-go determination, as well as more specific meet time and place. Ill prob know for sure that mon/tues if my schedule, wifes schedule, and weather will work.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Hi Codeman, I'd be interested in joining as well. i will send you a PM.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I'll send you a PM also.  Might as well make a good showing out there.  Anyone planning on trolling for salmon also?
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Nice work out there Codeman, and thanks for sharing!
The south wall at Tilly bay is really a great place for kayaks. The strong bay currents seems to eddy there, the crabbing is excellent (when crabbing is good) and the rock fishing can be really great. Still yet to get a keeper ling, but have had a couple of chances. I found that the Gulp minnows are kind of pricey and fragile, so I tried other small 3-4" swimbaits and found them just as effective on the 1/4oz-3/8 jigheads for rockfish in the bay and elsewhere (superglue is your friend).  Also, the north corner across from the south wall is productive for salmon if you don't want to hit the jaws or the strong currents while you soak your traps near the south wall
Learning to fish for rockfish in Tillamook Bay totally turned me on to a new style of rock-fishing in the ocean and now I only use small baits, light jigs, pinched barbs and trout rods to get them. It is way more fun and I can usually get a limit in a few minutes once I mark them.
If anyone is snobbish about the average size of the Tillamook bay rockfish, I would encourage them to go out and get a limit and make a batch of pescado veracruz (google it).
I haven't been out there to do this is a while, but Codeman, you got me all reminiscent. Thanks again for sharing and it looks like you have it totally dialed in. Congrats on your success and kudos for offering to take other folks out!

codeman

• Rockfish
Nice work out there Codeman, and thanks for sharing!
The south wall at Tilly bay is really a great place for kayaks. The strong bay currents seems to eddy there, the crabbing is excellent (when crabbing is good) and the rock fishing can be really great. Still yet to get a keeper ling, but have had a couple of chances. I found that the Gulp minnows are kind of pricey and fragile, so I tried other small 3-4" swimbaits and found them just as effective on the 1/4oz-3/8 jigheads for rockfish in the bay and elsewhere (superglue is your friend).  Also, the north corner across from the south wall is productive for salmon if you don't want to hit the jaws or the strong currents while you soak your traps near the south wall
Learning to fish for rockfish in Tillamook Bay totally turned me on to a new style of rock-fishing in the ocean and now I only use small baits, light jigs, pinched barbs and trout rods to get them. It is way more fun and I can usually get a limit in a few minutes once I mark them.
If anyone is snobbish about the average size of the Tillamook bay rockfish, I would encourage them to go out and get a limit and make a batch of pescado veracruz (google it).
I haven't been out there to do this is a while, but Codeman, you got me all reminiscent. Thanks again for sharing and it looks like you have it totally dialed in. Congrats on your success and kudos for offering to take other folks out!

I have caught 4 lings in tilly bay, also, all shorties.  Have had several fish break me off though.....so maybe im too light to land a legal ling, even i hook one.  Seems like the last batch (about 7 or 8 packs) of gulp minnows i bought were crazy soft. One head shake and they fly off. Weren't like that before. Thats why i switched to the gulp squid, much stouter. They actually seemed to prefer it. What i really like about gulp vs reg plastics, is, the fish grab ahold and dont let go. I dont get bit so much as the fish just inhale it, and wont spit it out. Plus i catch some really nice greening every trip too, not so much on the plastics.  Youre right though, there are times, it prob doesnt matter what u throw, as long as it falls at the right rate.

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I have also switched to light rod, and now even the occasional fly rod, for rockfish.  Yes, way more fun. And yes, every once in a while you loose one to a Ling.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

codeman

• Rockfish
I have 5 guys interested in the trip now......anymore out there? right now (long ways out) weather is looking doable. Tides are perfect. Should be a good day.  Hopefully, the PB wont be cruising around there crabbing.... If we get a few more guys, and fish pretty hard, we might break a 1k fish between all of us! 

Not sure where everyone usually launches from, (im guessing behind the cleaning station), but i just launch from the concrete boat launch. Pretty easy to stay out of the PB way. I tried behind the cleaning station once, but its too muddy. I was gross past my boots, which in turn, got everything muddy in my yak eventually. I wish there was a sandy spot up closer to barview....any other suggestions?  Otherwise, I'll be launching from the concrete ramp....and just meet those that dont want to out on the water?

-cody

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
We know that RF usually hit the red and yellow shrimp flies that are used in a dropper setup.  I'm wondering if tying one straight to the end of the line and adding a 1/4oz split shot somewhere up the line a bit would produce anywhere as good as the Gulp minnows do.  I'm picturing it giving the fly some freedom to move behind the weight.

And they are super cheap!

:dontknow:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

codeman

• Rockfish
We know that RF usually hit the red and yellow shrimp flies that are used in a dropper setup.  I'm wondering if tying one straight to the end of the line and adding a 1/4oz split shot somewhere up the line a bit would produce anywhere as good as the Gulp minnows do.  I'm picturing it giving the fly some freedom to move behind the weight.

And they are super cheap!

:dontknow:

I think theyd work just fine. I think they normally come with a 7/0 hook. While RF have big enough mouths for a hook that size for sure, id step it down it a little bit. Maybe find some with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook would work better. Especially if youd like to catch the bonus piggie greenling that are out there. Even the big ones would have a hard time getting a 7/0 hook in their mouths.

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
put me down..always wanted to fish that area
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"