Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Taking Friday off, where/what to fish  (Read 1173 times)

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hi friends,

4 day weekend for me - Fri through Mon - but with the closure of all the north coast rivers for salmon, I'm kinda indecisive / un-enthused about fishing prospects.

I'll fish, and I'll love it - no doubt there, but what to fish for and where.  I could handle some suggestions.  PM is cool if no one wants to fork over a public call to invade their waters.

Options that have crossed my mind as maybe:
- Rockfish and Lings at Depot (conditions look promising)
- Sturgeon in the Willamette
- Walleye at John Day
- Kokanee at (insert lake here)
- Mackinaw at Odell (or other lake)
- Large or exotic trout at (insert lake here)

Or drive much further south past the salmon closures.  Anyone have any exciting suggestion?

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I think the last day for Odell was 10/31.  You could sub in Crescent.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
In the water!

(I've always wanted to say that)

There's always a reason why there aren't a lot of fishing reports posted this time of year.  Down south, here, there aren't any salmon in the southern rivers yet because there's no water in the southern rivers yet - salmon fishing along the south coast is a late November pastime, unless you're talking about tidewater in the Rogue or the Chetco where you might find big Chinook.

Trout season closed on October 31 in many (most) southern rivers and watersheds across the state, and there are bar closures and small craft advisories scattered along the entire coast.  I hope you find somewhere to fish and actually go fishing, but this is the "tween" time of year.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

nomas

• Rockfish
It sure is.  The Tillamook rivers (Wilson / Trask) would be my rivers now, but the closures...

Righto, well I'll probably mull it over tomorrow and continue to take any fresh ideas.  I'll be fishing, no doubt about that.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Head north and fish for chum.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
The lack of rain is putting a crimp on my Siltcoos coho fishing plans for the weekend...not sure if it's worth the drive yet.  Friend of mine recently got into the king boletes thick here on the coast, so that may be my Sunday plan.

My brother and I are eyeing a Depoe bottom fish run for Monday.  Forecasts are looking great for that day.  We can talk about salmon fishing while we're out there  :).
aMayesing Bros.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Merwin has been producing some nice kokanee.  Yale reservoir is just up the road, also churning out chunky bright kokes.  Sockeye might be my only form of fall salmon for me this month.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
In the water!

(I've always wanted to say that)

There's always a reason why there aren't a lot of fishing reports posted this time of year.  Down south, here, there aren't any salmon in the southern rivers yet because there's no water in the southern rivers yet - salmon fishing along the south coast is a late November pastime, unless you're talking about tidewater in the Rogue or the Chetco where you might find big Chinook.

Trout season closed on October 31 in many (most) southern rivers and watersheds across the state, and there are bar closures and small craft advisories scattered along the entire coast.  I hope you find somewhere to fish and actually go fishing, but this is the "tween" time of year.

All of this checks out. Try the Chetco or rogue bays for big salmon else go rockfishing.

Could also try the elk bubble out of PO. I’ve never done it but this would be the weekend for ocean salmon rockfish combo.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/salmon/Regulations/docs/2018_Elk_River_State_Waters.pdf

nomas

• Rockfish
Work is gonna keep me close to home on Friday, maybe Saturday, after all. Depoe for bottom fish is high on my list, so I’ll probably be into that Monday.

Love me some Merwin, but haven’t sprung for a Washington license for a couple years.

If it weren’t for the holdover work emergency, I could be into that elk waters trip, but....jobs, am I right?

Thanks for the chime in, everyone. Terrific forum.

anything