Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2019 Outback crabbing: Siuslaw jaws  (Read 2866 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I had great conditions Tuesday to work out my crabbing process on the new Outback, so this is sort of a crabbing report and Product Discussion rolled into one post. 

But first my boat did have a front hatch leak (please PM me if you want more info on my experience with the leak)- the standard seal/gasket was not making contact at the two back corners of the hatch, leaving a gap and letting lots of water in during roll-over testing.  I added a 1/2" hollow weatherstrip gasket, like what Hobie uses on PA12 hatches, and I tightened up the bungees to pull the hatch down a bit more.  I am now getting good gasket contact all around the hatch, leak fixed.  My guess is that Hobie has already added hatch gaskets to Outbacks in production and will be retrofitting them to the boats already shipped. 

That out of the way, this Outback is a crabbing machine.  The maneuverability is fantastic and I love finally having a 180 drive plus again having steering control on both sides.  The flat surfaces on the bow make it ideal for carrying pots loose up there (I recommend never strapping down or connecting a crab pot to a kayak, you want them off in an emergency, easy enough to pick them up later) and then I use that bow area as a work surface to tend the pots and sort crabs.  Front hold has plenty of room for a limit of crab and also extra bait, video shows the simple 'crab fence' that I use to keep them up front.   And after pulling up, rolling on, and sliding my pots around on the bow at least 30 times, I am not seeing any scratches or dings at all. 

It is perhaps obvious to many on NWKA why I wanted my crabbing process to not involve using the rear deck, but if not, the end of the video sort of answers that.

As for the crabbing report, I was out over a soft low tide and well into the incoming tide, I found 10 solid keepers (7 were >6.25"), all came very low in the river, between the A4 and A6 bouys.  Crab were all spread out and I found only small ones as I moved pots up river towards our South Jetty crabbing dock.  These crab take me to 96 for the year (Siuslaw, Coos Bay, and ocean), all from kayaks, just 2 more limits and I will have averaged 10 crab per month this year.   

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:35:10 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

dernst

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Nice report, thank you.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Nice crab haul and I agree, scent does up the success rate.  I haven't tried that particular shrimp scent but will now.

How do you apply it, Roger?  directly on your bait or do you have a scent bottle?  I've tried using a sponge to absorb the scent but its messy.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Nice crab haul and I agree, scent does up the success rate.  I haven't tried that particular shrimp scent but will now.

How do you apply it, Roger?  directly on your bait or do you have a scent bottle?  I've tried using a sponge to absorb the scent but its messy.

actually, I just grabbed that shrimp scent bottle for the video, it was handy since I use it on spinners at Siltcoos.

for crabbing I use the Pautzke's Crab N' Shrimp fuel, I fill one of those small scent bottles and put one of the injector tops on so I can inject it into bait when I tend the pots (really fun is to fill the rockfish eyes with the pink stuff, crabs seem to love that...lol ).   I also use that pink stuff to marinate the chicken legs that I hang in the traps.

FYI-  I got that pink stuff all over the bow of the Outback, each time I added it to the bait, some dripped off and got down around the hatch, mixed with all the water that was coming on with the traps.  That is part of how I confirmed nothing was leaking in the hatch area, no pink stuff inside the hull, just a little water that I splashed in to keep the crabs wet...   

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
thanks Roger,   never thought about the marinade injector,  great idea!
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
thanks Roger,   never thought about the marinade injector,  great idea!

http://pro-cure.com/store/bait-scent-products/miscellaneous-products/bait-injectors/pro-cure-bait-injector-caps-with-needles.html

(these are really sharp, always keep the cap on!).

After stabbing myself a few times with those injectors, I hit the tip with my air grinder and blunted them a bit.  Also, shortend a few as I didn't need that long of an applicator.  They do work awesome though for the oils!

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Great report and review Roger.  The more I see about the new Outback, the more I want one.  :'(
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Went out and got a limit the other day.

If you are in the right place at the right time (now) then you shouldn't need scent. However, if the going has been tough or you only have time for a short soak then get some of these Silver Horde type dealies at Englund. Pour your scent into a ziplock and let it soak into some puppy chow kibble a few days ahead of time. Fill the bait container only halfway full. This way when the kibble gets wet and expands the wash of the current will still stir it around inside the container and a nice trail will wash out. Fill it too full and it expands and clogs the holes. Nice reliable time release and no stabbing yourself.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Great report and review Roger.  The more I see about the new Outback, the more I want one.  :'(

Also, if you like to crab off a kayak you should consider buying hdwipmonkey's Fish & Dive. You can easily stack 3 rings or McKay No Escape 3 door traps on the deck. Add a Scotty flush mount and Trap-Eze and you are ready to rock. Even with full size traps packed full of crab, covered with salad, and in moderate bay currents the generous secondary stability never comes close to feeling like you're going to huli. Can't believe that thing hasn't sold yet.  One or two limits of crab and you've paid for that kayak.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 06:27:24 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Went out and got a limit the other day.

If you are in the right place at the right time (now) then you shouldn't need scent. However, if the going has been tough or you only have time for a short soak then get some of these Silver Horde type dealies at Englund. Pour your scent into a ziplock and let it soak into some puppy chow kibble a few days ahead of time. Fill the bait container only halfway full. This way when the kibble gets wet and expands the wash of the current will still stir it around inside the container and a nice trail will wash out. Fill it too full and it expands and clogs the holes. Nice reliable time release and no stabbing yourself.

looks like an excellent crabbing kayak, the rivers here on the central coast (Alsea, Siuslaw, and even Umpqua) have little or no actual bays and crab are scattered and spread out through the late fall and winter months (most people don't even bother to crab the Siuslaw between Nov. and late-May)..

..scent soaked kibbles are an excellent approach...yeah, I'm gonna steal that.

but I still enjoy filling the rockfish or lingcod eyeballs with Pautzke's pink stuff, going to get a picture of that next time.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That raccoon gif is hilarious!

JamesM

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Nice video! Thanks for sharing!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Great vid -

Is one of your traps a Promar collapsible? I saw some at Cabela's and they looked perfect for a Kayak.

One thing that has worked great for me is a cheap yoga mat cut in half and laid across the bow. Keeps everything from sliding around and when I pull up the pots I lay it in my lap and roll the pot onto my legs. Not flexible enough to do your yoga to get to the bow.

- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

anything