Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Custom iceboxes?  (Read 8226 times)

LandofRath

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Insulated the bottom this morning. Still pondering how exactly I want to top half to look..

LandofRath

• Herring
Starting on the sides now, finding it much easier to simplify the shape a little at this point and fill any voids as needed. I am keeping the back 29-30 inches flat across the kayak for easier carrying of crab pots. From there it will raise 3-4 inches to a loading hatch. Definitely a learning curve here.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Its looking good Land. I like the concept.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Am I the only one who still uses a wet gunny sack?
I proudly use a $4 burlap sack from Tillamook sporting goods hooked to my big game clip regularly dipped in the water I fish in ind draped across the catch, pull the crab traps last thing and put the crabs in it.  :banjo:

People may roll their eyes and scoff at this, but I can tell you it's true. He's actually proud of his burlap sacks. No joke, proud !

I, on the other hand, seem to keep "borrowing" them from Mojo because I left the last one I borrowed at home, dammit.

For the project, I'm interested in knowing how it will be battened down to the hull so it doesn't fall out on a surf landing or other spin cycle, and also how you intend carrying it away from the boat - I assume some sort of strap arrangement.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

LandofRath

• Herring

For the project, I'm interested in knowing how it will be battened down to the hull so it doesn't fall out on a surf landing or other spin cycle, and also how you intend carrying it away from the boat - I assume some sort of strap arrangement.

I may do something like the Ocean Kayak version uses, still looking at possible options. What ever I do it will be some kind of quick disconnect so I can just lift the box out easily.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
This cooler looks like a DIY project with a lot of entertainment value.  Have you tried to pop the fiberglass out of the rear cargo area?  Might be a good idea to do that before you get too much further along in the project.  I predict that once you pop the fiberglass out of the rear cargo area, you won't be able to jam it all the way back in.  The cooler will probably come to a stop an inch or so above the bottom of the cargo area.  So be sure that the bottom of the cooler is strong enough to support the weight of any reasonably foreseeable amount of ice and fish, or it might crack and collapse.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

I've kind of been watching this thread unfold as there isn't much else happening this time of year.

Apart from you liking "the idea of a clean looking custom box that is made to fit the space," how many others have you seen around your area with a big box on their stern?

People do bags because:

A)  Bags are lower profile and catch less wind. Catching wind on the stern of that kayak will greatly reduce the one thing it does best, which is track.

B)  Bags are easy to turn inside out, hose, soak and clean.

C) You can bring a bag around from the tank well to your seated position to deposit fish or more easily take a quick recount.

I could go on about the benefits of a bag, but the only benefit I see to a hard box is that you can't snag it (and it does look cool). I don't even see as many people with crates as there once was.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

LandofRath

• Herring
This cooler looks like a DIY project with a lot of entertainment value.  Have you tried to pop the fiberglass out of the rear cargo area?  Might be a good idea to do that before you get too much further along in the project.  I predict that once you pop the fiberglass out of the rear cargo area, you won't be able to jam it all the way back in.  The cooler will probably come to a stop an inch or so above the bottom of the cargo area.  So be sure that the bottom of the cooler is strong enough to support the weight of any reasonably foreseeable amount of ice and fish, or it might crack and collapse.

I took it out on page one..... Slides in and out without any issues, so not sure why you think it would be one?
The cooler itself will be able to hold plenty of weight without any issue.

LandofRath

• Herring

I've kind of been watching this thread unfold as there isn't much else happening this time of year.

Apart from you liking "the idea of a clean looking custom box that is made to fit the space," how many others have you seen around your area with a big box on their stern?

People do bags because:

A)  Bags are lower profile and catch less wind. Catching wind on the stern of that kayak will greatly reduce the one thing it does best, which is track.

B)  Bags are easy to turn inside out, hose, soak and clean.

C) You can bring a bag around from the tank well to your seated position to deposit fish or more easily take a quick recount.

I could go on about the benefits of a bag, but the only benefit I see to a hard box is that you can't snag it (and it does look cool). I don't even see as many people with crates as there once was.

I don't foresee the profile being any issue, It will stick up less than most crates and not be flat sided.

I don't need to turn this inside out, and it will be easy to rinse out.

I have no need to move it around to load it and no real need to recount my catch, and if I needed to I don't see it as being a hassle.

I have done PLENTY of un-snagging of hooks from fabric so thanks for reminding me that will be less of an issue.

That being said. I enjoy making stuff like this, and this will suit my needs well I believe. Maybe I am wrong but we will see.
I stated why I was doing this already and that it looks cool and I wanted to see how it would workout.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I think it is cool.  I have been planning to do something similar for some time. I bought the fiberglass mat several years ago, but I just haven't found the time.  The one I was going to build will not stick up more than a couple inches above the hull. It will great more "flat" areas so my crab pots are easier to get on and off.  It will also be an extra spot to stow gear upon surf landing.

I see this as offering less windage than a bag on the hull (my current method).  As for it not fitting back in the hull tight, it should fit just fine if it is fiberglass. If the inner layer is fiberglass, the two exterior layers plus the foam basically form an I- beam. This and is very strong.  I know folks who have built ultra light kayaks sandwiching foam between two layers of either kevlar cloth or fiberglass.  If he were steaming wood and bending into the hull, yes that would loose about 15% of the bend and would not seat in properly, but he is basically using the tank well as a mold. It will hold the shape just fine as long as the layers are bound well to the foam.

For the naysayers, sometimes you just have to build shit because building shit is fun. Did I need a computer controlled machine so I could draw a jack-o-lantern face, or stars, on a mandarin orange? NO! It is really pointless, but I sure had fun building it. Big bonus, my seven year old daughter thought it was cool.

Oh, and it can make a dredel out of an egg or put your NWKA avatar on one in stipple diagram format. ;D 

Now back ion topic: Let's see some updated pictures.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:43:25 PM by craig »

LandofRath

• Herring
I think it is cool.  I have been planning to do something similar for some time. I bought the fiberglass mat several years ago, but I just haven't found the time.  The one I was going to build will not stick up more than a couple inches above the hull. It will great more "flat" areas so my crab pots are easier to get on and off.  It will also be an extra spot to stow gear upon surf landing.

I have not had any time last 2 days with going to my gf's daughters HS basketball games and my 200 lb mastiff blowing out his ACL. I will most likely be in town tomorrow so I can pick up a little bit more foam. I started the top and it did not look right to me so I am doing a few tweaks. Also debating the easiest way to attach the top and fiber-glassing the inside to my liking.. I might make the back half removable which would solve the issue.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:54:25 PM by LandofRath »

craig

• Sturgeon

I have not had any time last 2 days with going to my gf's daughters HS basketball games and my 200 lb mastiff blowing out his ACL. I will most likely be in town tomorrow so I can pick up a little bit more foam. I started the top and it did not look right to me so I am doing a few tweaks. Also debating the easiest way to attach the top and fiber-glassing the inside to my liking.. I might make the back half removable which would solve the issue.

I always used plastic spoons to make a rounded filet then cut 3 inch strips and taped the seams before glassing the inside.  The smaller clothe is much easier to work with IMHO.  I liked the 4 oz cloth for this because it was more flexible.

LandofRath

• Herring

I always used plastic spoons to make a rounded filet then cut 3 inch strips and taped the seams before glassing the inside.  The smaller clothe is much easier to work with IMHO.  I liked the 4 oz cloth for this because it was more flexible.

I use a sander, electric knife, bandsaw and table saw to cut my foam to shape.. lol... Never considered a plastic spoon:)

craig

• Sturgeon
I would thicken epoxy with sander dust to a peanut butter consistency then radius the joints like this when I would join things at right  (or steep) angles:

Then while still uncured, run strips of 3-4" cloth to "tape" the length of the seams.  Some people build boats this way without ever covering the whole hull in cloth. They just saturate the hull with resin after sanding the seams smooth. It is a very strong joint.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:50:59 PM by craig »

craig

• Sturgeon
If you want to pay a premium, you can buy wood flour by the pound.  I just save the free stuff from by random orbital sander. ;)

About halfway down the page is an example of what I am talking about http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=8043.msg86820#msg86820
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:54:40 PM by craig »

anything