Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Cooler /Kill Bag from Scratch  (Read 10759 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I made a liner for my soft bait bag with two layers of foil-bubble-foil insulation sandwiched between two layers of vinyl from a banner.  I glued all the seams with HH-66.  It's pretty much bait juice proof.  I put one ice pack in it and it is still mostly frozen at the end of the day.  I find that impressive, especially when the soft cooler is black.

Here is a couple pictures.  I have been meaning to do a write-up.  These are the CCA Cooler bags you get at the banquet with prizes you bid on. This is of the red one I use for lunch when I am out nowhere near a fridge.

The lid of the bag has a small amout of insulation that you can access via a zipper.  I just slid two layers of the F-B-F insulation in and zipped it closed.

I plan to order about 100 square feet of vinyl recycled from billboards.  I believe it is either 18 or 20 oz/ yard.  It is fairly cheap.  Then I am going to make a soft cooler the shape of the inside of my Revo.  It too will be foil-bubble-foil insulated.  It will have a top loading dry bag type opening so I can just open the hatch and drop in the fish.  Currently, I use my silver hoard cooler bag in the front hatch with the revo.

I do not sew vinyl. The HH-66 chemically welds it so I see no need.

craig

• Sturgeon
Zack, where abouts do you reside? I had a large roll of the foil-bubble-foil insulation and I believe I still have some left.  Or, swing by Lowes and grab this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-33-3-sq-ft-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-16-in-W-x-25-ft-L/1014123 it will save you time and provide a much better level of insulation.  I made a "sock" out of it that fit in my old bow mount kill bag and I had a partially frozen coho at the end of the day in Tillamook once because the ice (frozen salt water) kept too well.

Another benefit is two layers sandwiched between vinyl is very stiff.

I think if you add up the price of pool noodles and polyfill you will get close to the price of the F-B-F.  But there is enough on that roll to make a few bags, and it will go much quicker than weaving noodles.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:26:58 PM by craig »

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Glad my pictures were helpful.  Cant wait to see the finished product. I may have to order one from you. lol
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Zack, where abouts do you reside? I had a large roll of the foil-bubble-foil insulation and I believe I still have some left.  Or, swing by Lowes and grab this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-33-3-sq-ft-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-16-in-W-x-25-ft-L/1014123 it will save you time and provide a much better level of insulation.  I made a "sock" out of it that fit in my old bow mount kill bag and I had a partially frozen coho at the end of the day in Tillamook once because the ice (frozen salt water) kept too well.

Another benefit is two layers sandwiched between vinyl is very stiff.

I think if you add up the price of pool noodles and polyfill you will get close to the price of the F-B-F.  But there is enough on that roll to make a few bags, and it will go much quicker than weaving noodles.

I think I live pretty close to you.  I live near Murray/Scholls intersection.  I am thinking of heading to Lowes after work or on my lunch break.  That is a great solution.  I may still add some polyform just to give it the feel I want in the bag but maybe I am just being crazy.  I am looking forward to water testing the bag once the glue is done by putting each section in the bath tub and looking for air bubbles.  Then at the end I can fill up the finished product with water and look for leaks.  I know it can leak from the zipper, but how the bags are shaped the zippers should be facing up in transport from kayak to car to home.  I am wondering if I should just make a large sheet and form it around the triangle, or cut the bag into three different pieces for the triangle.  I started off with thinking of one large sheet wrapped around the triangle, but the more I think about it the more I think it should be cut into individual sections.  What do you guys think?  This will add a few days to the project (and slightly shrink the dimensions of the bag) and it wont be ready by the weekend but I think it will make a better finished product.  Hope to have this done Sunday or Monday.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:45:30 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Currently, I use my silver hoard cooler bag in the front hatch with the revo.

How do people get to their front hatch without tipping?  I feel uncomfortable doing that in an Outback lol.

Is your center hatch upgraded to a square?  How would you fit a large ling or salmon down your hatch?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Currently, I use my silver hoard cooler bag in the front hatch with the revo.

How do people get to their front hatch without tipping?  I feel uncomfortable doing that in an Outback lol.

Is your center hatch upgraded to a square?  How would you fit a large ling or salmon down your hatch?

Take your kayak to a lake.  Practice climbing all over the kayak from different directions.  You will eventually get the feel for balance and be able to scoot your way up to the front and diddle around in the front hatch.  I have to do it every time I get through a surf launch, and just before I prep for a surf landing, as I store my fishing poles in the front hatch of my Revo. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
On the Columbia, or other bays and rivers, it is fairly easy. If the ocean is rough, I will toss them in the tank well. Basically, I scoot forward with my legs hanging over each side in the Revo.  The Outback I do something similar with both legs over one side.  It keeps the center of gravity low.  I have found with the Revo that is the best fish storage for me because I keep no gear in the front. I drop the fish in and don't have to worry about them until I get back to the beach.  Also, with no deck bag up front, there is less windage issues.

My Outback has a square center hatch, but I keep all my tackle below decks there. No fish allowed.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

Take your kayak to a lake.  Practice climbing all over the kayak from different directions.  You will eventually get the feel for balance and be able to scoot your way up to the front and diddle around in the front hatch.  I have to do it every time I get through a surf launch, and just before I prep for a surf landing, as I store my fishing poles in the front hatch of my Revo.

I will have to play with that.  That sounds better than my current method which is to tie everything down on landings.

I am picking up a roll of FBF Reflective insulation at Ace Hardware on my lunch break.  They have 24"x 50ft for $25. This will allow me to make several bags at 3 layers thick and have plenty of leftover to make other types of bags.

Right now if i were to not have gotten the polyfill the cost of both bags is roughly $50-55 in materials plus lots of time haha. I have $110 invested in the two bags but am hoping they last several years 5-10 years I i can easily patch the bags with the leftover materials.  I was looking at getting the IceMule 32inch bag and it is $109.  I am getting two bags and they will be top entry.  I am also having lots of fun doing it.  I feel like this is a semi-frugal win.  If i were to make 3-bags or more the price of bag would drop significantly.  The H66 glue is somewhat costly and does not have a long shelf life and one jar could make a lot.  The minimum purchase for a fabric is one yard and with a few yards you can make a few bags.  So there is an upside to a larger order.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:39:48 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
The three layers will hold ice for a long time. I have H66 glue from last summer. I keep it in my beer fridge.  It lasts much longer refrigerated.  If you have leftover H66 you want to get rid of, I may need some and I will buy it.  I plan to make a kayak cover that drapes over the kayak when it sits on top my van for long periods of time. It is just for sun exposure prevention.  Think of all the bags you could make with this (problem is it is 9-12 0z): https://www.billboardvinyls.com/products/14-x-48?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=14091744135&gclid=CjwKCAjwqarbBRBtEiwArlfEIA91vWzMRaISZh2cRvbcLS7HJ4wKMDp1pSa3rkehlRSGj56h7ic9CBoCjBkQAvD_BwE

It would make a lot of dry bags and float bags though. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:53:49 AM by craig »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
I am hoping the three layers will make it last a long time I am thinking of putting ice in a separate dry bag to keep it separated from the fish to prevent the water from breaking down the fish  Also tempted to buy the cheap clear vinyl to make an insert to hold the fish but i think i may be over doing it.  That billboard would last forever  ;D.  Unfortunately its not 22-34 oz.  I bet it would make a cool design for a kill bag.

I bought a pint so i may use it all but if i have extra i could bring some by.  Thanks for the refrigeration tip with the H66.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:18:55 PM by craig »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
For ice packs, put water, or salt water in a vinyl pouch then seal the seams. Freeze it and you will not have to worry about the water.  I actually will vacuum pack (extra protection from leaking)
these types of ice packs https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7361/Insulated-Shippers-and-Supplies/Cold-Packs-8-oz?pricode=WB0646&gadtype=pla&id=S-7361&gclid=CjwKCAjwqarbBRBtEiwArlfEIFu5AIENoQVb2DALw9HbVaWAkmTE9EqJ_GYibP-mTWF3acey6mE8hRoCxmcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.    I got them for free because I know people that get them with medical supplies shipped to their houses.  But that is cheap for a 36 pack if you know others that want to get some.

Or here is a case of 48 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K9609I/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

case of 18 https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Tech-TP8-MS-Refrigerant/dp/B007PB0UMA/ref=pd_sim_328_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007PB0UMA&pd_rd_r=926c5c74-9b3f-11e8-9964-87cf98f5eb50&pd_rd_w=AFh0k&pd_rd_wg=4yBwI&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a180fdfb-b54e-4904-85ba-d852197d6c09&pf_rd_r=8TH0Z48D4C46QWT714N1&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=8TH0Z48D4C46QWT714N1

This is brilliant!  I hate buying ice every trip and so does my wife.  It is an annoying expense and i typically get it on the way home delaying my trip.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I do something similar, but vacuum pack the ice pack with a strip of silver bubble insulation to make it stay frozen even longer.  I got the idea from a Northwest Fishing Reports video.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
For ice packs, put water, or salt water in a vinyl pouch then seal the seams. Freeze it and you will not have to worry about the water.  I actually will vacuum pack (extra protection from leaking)
these types of ice packs https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7361/Insulated-Shippers-and-Supplies/Cold-Packs-8-oz?pricode=WB0646&gadtype=pla&id=S-7361&gclid=CjwKCAjwqarbBRBtEiwArlfEIFu5AIENoQVb2DALw9HbVaWAkmTE9EqJ_GYibP-mTWF3acey6mE8hRoCxmcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.    I got them for free because I know people that get them with medical supplies shipped to their houses.  But that is cheap for a 36 pack if you know others that want to get some.

Or here is a case of 48 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K9609I/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

case of 18 https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Tech-TP8-MS-Refrigerant/dp/B007PB0UMA/ref=pd_sim_328_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007PB0UMA&pd_rd_r=926c5c74-9b3f-11e8-9964-87cf98f5eb50&pd_rd_w=AFh0k&pd_rd_wg=4yBwI&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a180fdfb-b54e-4904-85ba-d852197d6c09&pf_rd_r=8TH0Z48D4C46QWT714N1&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=8TH0Z48D4C46QWT714N1

A few years ago I purchased a full box of Koolit packs from Hoggs at ORC for $20, I think I got 14 in the box.  These are 7" x 7" x 1" and stay frozen all day.  I usually only need to use 4 at a time.  Freaking great for day trips or if I have my truck camper to be able to refreeze in the freezer over night.

I've thought about sealing some of them in PVC fabric so I don't have to deal with putting them in a dry bag to protect them from rockfish and crab pokies.  They lay flat in the bottom of my orange kill bag nicely.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:11:28 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
I went to Home Depoe as Ace was out of the reflective insulated rolls.  Home Depoe only had the 16".  So i will probably do two layers thick with some poly filling.  I had planned to do the 24 inch roll and fold down 8 inches and with two sheets put together folded down it could be essentially 3 layers.  After looking at the product i think 2 layers will be plenty thick to keep ice for a few days.  At least thats the hope.  With future models i could special order it to the store.  I will post an update with glue and more cuts tonight .
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

anything