Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Cooler /Kill Bag from Scratch  (Read 10703 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I do something similar, but vacuum pack the ice pack with a strip of silver bubble insulation to make it stay frozen even longer.  I got the idea from a Northwest Fishing Reports video.

Interesting...
Does the added insulation affect it's ability to transmit the cold effectively?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I do something similar, but vacuum pack the ice pack with a strip of silver bubble insulation to make it stay frozen even longer.  I got the idea from a Northwest Fishing Reports video.

Interesting...
Does the added insulation affect it's ability to transmit the cold effectively?

My thoughts exactly.  Unless the reflective material is facing the bottom could it help?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
When fishing, assuming I actually catch anything, I put an ice pack on the bottom with insulation facing the bottom and one on top of the fish with the insulation facing the top. Is also helps as an additive to normal ice as it lasts much longer

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
When fishing, assuming I actually catch anything, I put an ice pack on the bottom with insulation facing the bottom and one on top of the fish with the insulation facing the top. Is also helps as an additive to normal ice as it lasts much longer

That makes more sense now, thanks.

You are essentially insulating one side of the ice pack, and that side works in conjunction with the cooler itself to shield the ice pack/and fish from external temperature influence. 

Sounds like a good method. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

• Date Registered: Mar 2017
Where are you putting the D rings?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

I would assume, for lashing it down in the tank well. 

When I added D rings to my kill bag, I chose to go with plastic on purpose.  Won't rust, lighter, super cheap and will give before the PVC gives if the bag is ever subjected to a severe beating in the surf zone.  I can always replace any broken D ring later with a caribiner.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

I am planning on putting a few on each side of the bag so i can secure it in the tankwell using a few extra eyelets i put around the outside edge of the tank well.  I plan on unsing scraps from the heavy duty black liner and cut them into 1 inch by 3 inch strips and then glueing them to the outside of the bag.  It will look like an OSU Beaver Bag.  They did offer 26 colors so i guess i could make college or pro themed bags lol.

I went with stainless steel D-ring but i i do like the thought of plastic as they can be easily replaceable and would break before the bag.  The good thing is that these bags are stupid easy to repair if the stainless steel were to rip the bag.  I would switch to plastic but i cant dont want to buy others and will use what i have.

Last night i was beginning to prep for gluing and decided to cut the long section into 3 different sections for each bag.  The prepping for the glue took much longer than i thought because i am not accurate enough to do it by hand quickly and get straight seems.  I taped each peice of bag to allow a one inch strip of glue.  This will keep the seems nice and straight when gluing.  I am hoping i can just peel off the tape once the glue dries.  If not i will just leave it there as they will be on the inside and wont be showing.  The second stage of gluing they should not show either as the last step is to turn the bag inside out to hide all gluing.  Prepping all the peices took a few hours and i am only able to work a little each night (My toddler takes up all my time :) ).  I got all of the pieces prepped and ended up getting a few roles of the reflective insulation.  These rolls will make me 3 bags i(f is double up the layers) and were fairly inexpensive.  With two layers of this stuff it should hold ice for a long time.  I will test the bags limits once done to see how long ice will hold and if it leaks.

My to do list (expected completion date)

-Finish gluing all sections -3 of 4 sides and dry for 2 hours (8/10)
-Cut insulation to size and stuff into sandwiched pvc layers(8/10)
-Go fishing  ;D(8/11)
-Glue the 4th side to all pieces and add D-rings- dry for 24 hours.  (8/11)
-Water test each piece individually and look for/fix air pockets(8/12)
-Glue first 1/3 of bag- dry for 24 hours (8/13)
-Glue 2/3 of bag- dry for 24 hours (8/14)
-Glue 3/3 of bag - dry for 24 hours (8/15)
-Turn it inside out and Water test(8/16)
-Add Zipper (8/16)

The bag should be completed the night of the 16th.

The dry times just take forever and doing two bags at once can take some time.  I am looking forward to putting some fish in these, they will just need to wait until next week.

Thank you everyone for the tips and suggestions.  Greatly appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:28:40 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Zach looks like you are getting some traction with it.  Nice!

One thing I notice here (and other forums) and find intriguing about how we humans tackle a project.

1. No planning, no idea how or what they are trying to achieve, and just whip out the credit card and get something + $1000 worth of other crap they didn't need to go with it.

2. Some folks come up with a great idea, generalize what it may take to build it, quit and go buy something off the shelf that is close enough to do the job.

3. Then we have those that draw stuff up a million times via CAD or pencil, change things here and there as they find improvements, make sample or test runs of parts of the project to see if it will work.  Then gather the materials and tools to start the project.  Over time they get the project done and it works exactly as planned.

4. With some contrast we have those that have a pretty good idea what they think they are going to achieve, doodle something on paper, hope the materials exist on this planet, go out and build it.  Then look back at the drawing and it looks and works nothing like their original plan and cost 3 times as much, but it works nonetheless. 

5. The frugal engineer approach that includes material cost breakdown spreadsheets, random performance specs, build timelines,
 drinks gallons of coffee working on it, skips dinner every night, stays up late to work on it to maintain the tight planned schedule, pisses off the wife for spending so many days in a row on said project that she leaves and goes lives with her mother.  Project gets done as designed, on time, and under budget.  However, he must now sell this project to help pay for a divorce lawyer.

6. Oh wait, then there are idiots like me that have a zillion projects rolling around in the head, none of which are ever put on paper.  Each project gets pulled from mental file cabinet at random times, looked at, analyzed, flipped around in 3D, tested for flaws or corrections needed, and put back in the mental file cabinet.  This repeats itself nonstop, even during sleep.  Just when I thought I had this project mentally complete and ready to go start the real one the brain says "Nope, do this instead - trust me it will work." The problem with this approach is that each project that gets started requires the purchase of a single tool that cost way more than the project itself, and takes up valuable space in the garage/bedroom/attic/cargo trailer/back yard/etc.....   :-\

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

5. The frugal engineer approach that includes material cost breakdown spreadsheets, random performance specs, build timelines,
 drinks gallons of coffee working on it, skips dinner every night, stays up late to work on it to maintain the tight planned schedule, pisses off the wife for spending so many days in a row on said project that she leaves and goes lives with her mother.  Project gets done as designed, on time, and under budget.  However, he must now sell this project to help pay for a divorce lawyer.

Haha i am pretty close to this.  Stayed up until midnight last night to get everything taped off.  I work all day at.  Hang with the kiddo till she goes to bed at 8.  My wife is going back to school to become a nurse and is studying a lot.  This leave me with a bunch of TV time.  I hate sitting at home watching TV and wasting away, but it is too late to go outside.  So i do other fishing hobbies- mostly research (old fishing books are the best-they include maps  ;D) and thinking of what i will do to maximize my chances to catch fish with the limited time i have on the water  (due to having a wife/toddler).  I have built fishing rods in the past but they are extremely time cumbersome and taxing on my back.  This bag has been a fun break from the research of Salmon fishing research. I did go to a seminar this week and stayed late to ask lots of questions until i was the lat one in the store. Conversations like that and seeing how things are rigged is worth weeks of research,
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:42:14 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Zach looks like you are getting some traction with it.  Nice!

One thing I notice here (and other forums) and find intriguing about how we humans tackle a project.

1. No planning, no idea how or what they are trying to achieve, and just whip out the credit card and get something + $1000 worth of other crap they didn't need to go with it.

2. Some folks come up with a great idea, generalize what it may take to build it, quit and go buy something off the shelf that is close enough to do the job.

3. Then we have those that draw stuff up a million times via CAD or pencil, change things here and there as they find improvements, make sample or test runs of parts of the project to see if it will work.  Then gather the materials and tools to start the project.  Over time they get the project done and it works exactly as planned.

4. With some contrast we have those that have a pretty good idea what they think they are going to achieve, doodle something on paper, hope the materials exist on this planet, go out and build it.  Then look back at the drawing and it looks and works nothing like their original plan and cost 3 times as much, but it works nonetheless. 

6. Oh wait, then there are idiots like me that have a zillion projects rolling around in the head, none of which are ever put on paper.  Each project gets pulled from mental file cabinet at random times, looked at, analyzed, flipped around in 3D, tested for flaws or corrections needed, and put back in the mental file cabinet.  This repeats itself nonstop, even during sleep.  Just when I thought I had this project mentally complete and ready to go start the real one the brain says "Nope, do this instead - trust me it will work." The problem with this approach is that each project that gets started requires the purchase of a single tool that cost way more than the project itself, and takes up valuable space in the garage/bedroom/attic/cargo trailer/back yard/etc.....   :-\
# 4 & #6 for me  ;D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

What kind of idiot would teach themselves CAD just to make their own fishing crap?  Me!

My new "Scottish Mount" (not Scotty) for the back of my new mango colored kayak to hold the flag.  It is being printed out in purple ABS right now because I am actually pimping it out, hence the purple. Purple and mango.  Can't get much more pimp then that.

Yup.  This is also me.  I spent about $1700 designing and making a CNC router for cutting plates, and doing lots of other stuff.  I spent a little at a time and figured it cost me about $600...until I added it all up. It was a fun project itself, and I learned a ton about machining, CAD, CAM, programming Gcode, programming Arduino boards, and other general electronic stuff.  The knowledge itself was worth the price.

So far I have recouped at least $25 of that money by making some aluminum Scotty mount plates for gear trac. There are two 15 degree arcs on the plate for fine tuning the Scotty base.  Scotty mounts are 30 degrees per adjustment.  Mine are now able to be adjustable in 7.5 degree increments (I theorize, and suck at math :P). Yeah, I am cool like that. ;)  I did this because while salmon trolling, my rod either stuck out too far forward, or too far back. Call me Goldilocks.  I wanted it just right.

Cut from HDPE (cutting board material) and 3D printed knobs. 

So enough of the thread hijack.  I got distracted by commiserating with Insayn about having too many projects in the head.

p.s. Fusion 360 by Autodesk is free for hobbyists if you want to be like #3. They have a sheet metal bending option which I think would work for vinyl applications because after you design your do-hicky, it flattens it out and adds in the overlaps for attachment (ie vinyl gluing area.) https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:46:01 PM by craig »

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
you selling those plates at all? They look nice!

craig

• Sturgeon
I will pm you.  Don't want to hijack the thread.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Those are really cool and I would also be interested in a pair.

I fished yesterday and my cooler bag that I had did okay but I would like some more room haha ;D. So I got inspired to get back at it this morning. Got all the cuts. Will glue them tonight.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:41:37 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

craig

• Sturgeon
That is looking good!  The fish are nice too.