Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Front hatch retrieval cord  (Read 2284 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
When you flip the front hatch of your kayak open when you're on the water, it can be awkward to close it.  Unless you have installed a retrieval cord on the hatch.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Nice tip.  I never put anything needed on the water in that hatch, but have learned to have clips for bags even in the center hatch.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
That is where I put my kill bag and then the salmon I catch. That has been the best storage spot I have found for the larger fish.  There is not enough room in the rear tank well for my gear and fish. I have something similar.

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
That's a great idea, what did you use to attach the cord?

Kevin

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
That is where I put my kill bag and then the salmon I catch. That has been the best storage spot I have found for the larger fish.  There is not enough room in the rear tank well for my gear and fish. I have something similar.

You just take too much crap on your kayak, bro.   ;)

All my tackle goes in the center hatch in the Playno Guide Series waterproof boxes.  They are tethered to bungees on the underside of the deck and pushed to either side of the Mirage drive to keep the area clear when I open the center hatch to retrieve one.  My orange kill bag and wheels pretty much fill up tank well and keep all my fish weight behind me. 

When I surf launch I do keep my rods stored inside the front hatch of the Revo down either side of the Mirage drive. 
Pretty easy to get them in and out of there.  I have long enough arms and can scoot quite aways forward, that I can just grab the very edge of the lid and flip it back towards me without any issue. 

The cord is an interesting idea though.  :icon_thumright:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon

You misread.  I said the fish I catch are  "larger"  so they don't fit in the tank well and I can't find a suitable kill bag.  In fact I had to order a 32 0z can of HH-66 in hopes that was enough to weld a suitable sized custom kill bag.  Most people could probably get away with 8 oz.  :toothy9:

The inside of the front hatch from bow to Mirage drive well on the Revo is about 48" which allows me to fit a salmon I catch inside if I bend it in at least a 120 degree arc -- which is why I chose that location. The tank well usable area is only 27" so a significant portion of my fish would be hanging off the back of the boat waiting for a sea lion to grab them.   ;D

I pack light for fishing. Most of my tackle goes in the center hatch in the bucket. I put a crate in the back that holds a waterproof plano box with extra leaders and terminal tackle along with a water bottle. The bait cooler also sits inside and it is also where I put trash I find floating in the river.  I take a couple extra flashers which fit in a side pocket in the cockpit and the bait knife and pliers go in the other side pocket. For ocean fishing, all tackle fits inside the center hatch bucket.

But back to the topic on hand, Pete.  Did you use existing holes/hardware to mount the cord? It appears that you did.  I am trying to drill as few holes as possible on my new Revo. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:04:48 PM by craig »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
That's a great idea, what did you use to attach the cord?
Kevin
Each end of the cord is attached with a small stainless steel bolt and locking nut and a plastic strap which is intended for use in screwing a wire to a wall.
But back to the topic on hand, Pete.  Did you use existing holes/hardware to mount the cord? It appears that you did.  I am trying to drill as few holes as possible on my new Revo.
I drilled a hole for the bolt at each end of the cord.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 05:00:11 PM by pmmpete »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

You misread.  I said the fish I catch are  "larger"  so they don't fit in the tank well and I can't find a suitable kill bag.  In fact I had to order a 32 0z can of HH-66 in hopes that was enough to weld a suitable sized custom kill bag.  Most people could probably get away with 8 oz.  :toothy9:

The inside of the front hatch from bow to Mirage drive well on the Revo is about 48" which allows me to fit a salmon I catch inside if I bend it in at least a 120 degree arc -- which is why I chose that location. The tank well usable area is only 27" so a significant portion of my fish would be hanging off the back of the boat waiting for a sea lion to grab them.   ;D

I pack light for fishing. Most of my tackle goes in the center hatch in the bucket. I put a crate in the back that holds a waterproof plano box with extra leaders and terminal tackle along with a water bottle. The bait cooler also sits inside and it is also where I put trash I find floating in the river.  I take a couple extra flashers which fit in a side pocket in the cockpit and the bait knife and pliers go in the other side pocket. For ocean fishing, all tackle fits inside the center hatch bucket.

I'm just ribbing on ya bud. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
I know.  I just used it as an opportunity to tell a fish tale.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Nice idea. Thanks, Pete!

I'll probably add this mod. to my revo.

I need to get in there and fix the bungee that pulls back my "down cable" for the rudder. I thought I was hosed the other day when it quit working but I was able to slip the cord in that little slot by the side pocket to hold the line taught and kept on fishing. Truth is, I probably need to redo all of the cables. They're getting quite old. Also need to go over my mirage drive...Maybe in the off season this year.