Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Granny Walker D.I.Y. kayak cart  (Read 90191 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
by NWKA member INSAYN

I tried to utilize alot of the parts and pieces from the Granny Walker to keep the final product looking clean and not all hacked together.   I started by tearing it all down and then cutting an elbow from each handle.  

Using one of the adjustable legs from the Granny Walker, I am going to reinforce the lower tube with this outer tube.

Then using a support bar from the Granny Walker, I reinforce this area even more by slipping a tube inside.  

All three layers are then riveted together.

Being that my hand truck had these plastic wheels on the tires, I purchased a cheap set of steel Harbor Freight wheels/tires to put back on the hand truck.

The gray plastic caps hide the fact that I have just riveted 3 layers of Granny Walker tubing together to support the axle.    The axle itself it solid 5/8" steel rod.  This will eventually be replaced with stainless tube.  Not a priority at the moment.  

The blue foam is a $1.00 noodle from the Dollar Tree.  The wide black webbing is from some scraps that my aunt gave me several years ago.   I had the wifey sew loops into the webbing and was then riveted into place to keep it from sliding on the tube. And the yellow webbing is a set of Harbor Freight lash straps that I cut down and had the wife sew loops into as well.

The mesh bag (from my first Brunton headlamp) is to stow the bulk of the yellow strap in as well as the cotter pins in.  

I made it fit the bottom of the wife's Malibu Two XL, as I wanted to be able to piggy back my two kayaks.

After strapping the two naked kayaks together, I pulled them around the yard, down some stairs, off the curb, over some various rough surfaces and everything handles great!  Nothing slipped, bent, or even tipped over.  

The tires fit down under the sonar mount up against the scupper holes.

The tubes fit up along side the battery bag in the T13.

With it stowed away in the T13 front hatch you can barely see that it's in there.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Yakky Doodle

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Fantastic design and great way to recycle!

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:38:05 PM by CastIronTrout »
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Ingenious, and elegant!  YOu're not in the Hobie??????
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
They say, "Copy is the best form of flattery" As with many of your creations INSAYN, be flattered.
I picked up my Granny cart at Goodwill this past Saturday for $6.99 and my straps from Harbor Freight last night for $4.99. I've got a small collection of pool noodles for projects in various sizes and colors and I've got the same wheels you used from my Harbor Freight dolly, but they seem heavy. I also have (from another project that didn't happen), four of the inflatable dolly wheels and tires. They have the advantage of being wider so better in sand and boyant, but wheels are steel and tires being inflatable are prone to flats. I'm also looking at my lawn seed spreader and a 90 gallon yard debris bin in the back yard. Neither ever gets used and both have large plastic wheels....hmmmm?

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Eli Whitney!!! Dang!

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
I know that this is an old post but what do you do when you need your walker back? Just say-in. :dontknow:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
No worries.  Granny walkers are cheap, buy two!  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
No worries.  Granny walkers are cheap, buy two!  ;D

No doubt, I almost did. The one I just bought was $6.99 and the nicer of the two they had. It was also twice as much as the other one was going for a whopping $3.99. If I understand the procedure and am right, one of the supports or uprights (either left or right) of the Granny Walker can be cut in half and both halves used for one cart sub- frame, leaving the other for another cart and or another project. Hit me back INSAYN, if you get a chance and let me know if that's right and thanks in advance....Dave

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
You need to capture as much material between the bends where you cut to give the cart enough lift.  By doing so, you will be left with 4 elbows, 2 that have long arms, and 2 with stubby arms.  Use the 2 with the long arms for your kayak cart.  The arms will be the vertical areas where the axles will go through.  Use the 2 shorter ones for some other project, not necessarily a kayak cart.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
You need to capture as much material between the bends where you cut to give the cart enough lift.  By doing so, you will be left with 4 elbows, 2 that have long arms, and 2 with stubby arms.  Use the 2 with the long arms for your kayak cart.  The arms will be the vertical areas where the axles will go through.  Use the 2 shorter ones for some other project, not necessarily a kayak cart.

Thanks Bro...if you're still online, here's another dilema I could use some assist on.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6879.0.html

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Got the Hobie well after I had been sporting these OK's, and the Revo even has a custom scupper cart, too!

Using Sched 80 PVC, 3/4" solid Aluminum axle, and some Wheeleez, it comes apart into 3 plastic pieces, the axle, the Wheeleez, and locking pins.   Everything but the Wheeleez fit inside a small camp chair bag and inside the rear hatch.  Or just strapped on back as seen here.

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
I considered the scupper idea as I'm floating an OK Trident T-11, but there's enough controvery about stressing out the scuppers (maybe outdated and incorrect) that underneath seems safer ??? Any thoughts?

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
Insayn I noticed a few things on your boat that I am courious about. First the red pole with the elastic cord that look like it is comming from the top of the pole to your top deck. Second the tie down for your rudder. What is the pole for and can you post a full shot of it? Did you install the rudder tie down or did your revo come that way, or is there another purpose for it?

Got the Hobie well after I had been sporting these OK's, and the Revo even has a custom scupper cart, too!

Using Sched 80 PVC, 3/4" solid Aluminum axle, and some Wheeleez, it comes apart into 3 plastic pieces, the axle, the Wheeleez, and locking pins.   Everything but the Wheeleez fit inside a small camp chair bag and inside the rear hatch.  Or just strapped on back as seen here.