Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:25:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Anyone tried the new PFD from Kokatat or stohlquist?  (Read 7160 times)

Jrob

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I find myself looking to upgrade my Walmart PFD (which actually worked OK)
Researching this forum, the popular 2 seem to be the Kokatat bahia tour and the NRS chinook.
Online, there are 2 new PFDs that look feature loaded:
Kokatat Leviathan- tons of pockets, + hand warmer pockets.
https://kokatat.com/product/leviathan-pfd-lvulev
Stohlquist Keeper- Again tons of pocket, sleek profile
http://stohlquist.com/life-jackets/fishing-pfds/keeper.html

Has anyone tried either of these?
Thanks!

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
All 4 of those are good choices from a fishing/safety point of view; the 2 new ones from Stohlquist and Kokatat look very interesting, but have not tried them.

I had a NRS chinook which I really liked and then moved to a Bahia tour which is a fantastic pfd, and very comfortable.  The Bahia tour generally goes on sale for a bit over 100 bucks.  Just make sure to get a bright color especially if your immersion wear is not that noticeable on the water.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't know if it's important to you, but nether of the new PFD's, the Leviathan or the Keeper, have a radio pocket.  That's important to me so I wouldn't be interested in either, but it may not bother others.

I had a Stohlquist Coaster PFD - although the pockets on mine were more similar to the pockets on the Keeper than those of the current Cruiser - and when I put anything in those belly pockets, it made it more difficult to get back on my kayak during self-recovery practice (which is why I no longer have it).

Just my thoughts from looking at the catalogue photos.  I've never seen either of them.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I don't know if it's important to you, but nether of the new PFD's, the Leviathan or the Keeper, have a radio pocket.  That's important to me so I wouldn't be interested in either, but it may not bother others.

I had a Stohlquist Coaster PFD - although the pockets on mine were more similar to the pockets on the Keeper than those of the current Cruiser - and when I put anything in those belly pockets, it made it more difficult to get back on my kayak during self-recovery practice (which is why I no longer have it).

Just my thoughts from looking at the catalogue photos.  I've never seen either of them.

I agree with Tinker on the self recovery with the pockets loaded but I do carry my radio in the left pocket with a handset clipped to the harness of my Keeper. As PFDs go its a good PFD for me.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I have the keeper and really like it from a comfort perspective.  I dont have a radio so its not an issue for me.

I also like the look of the new wilderness systems pfd that has a built-in waterpoof hood.  which would be really nice since almost all the dry suits dont have hoods

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Looks like that diagonal strap on the Leviathon is made for a radio clip.  Not a fan of the knife mount location.
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

FilthyFuzz

• Herring
  • I’m lost, but I’m making good time!
  • Date Registered: May 2016
+1 on the Bahia Tour.  The front pocket holds my Motorola walkie talkie perfectly and I can transmit and listen with it inside the pocket. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I have the keeper and really like it from a comfort perspective.  I dont have a radio so its not an issue for me.

Good point.  I noticed the folks modeling the Keeper and the Leviathan in the catalog photos aren't carrying radios and if that's the case, the lack of a radio pocket isn't a problem.

I also like the look of the new wilderness systems pfd that has a built-in waterpoof hood.  which would be really nice since almost all the dry suits dont have hoods

This one?  https://www.harmonygear.com/products/25039/Wilderness-Systems-Wildy-Fisher-Life-Jacket-PFD.html

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
That's the one.  The hood definitely intrigues me

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Hey Jrob, I've been trying to get ahold of you. Can you check your PMs and wave back?  :banjo:

Otherwise I might have to donate your AOTY prizes to a good cause... like my tackle box  ;D

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I may be getting a Leviathan soon to give it a whirl but haven't seen one in person yet. I'm a huge fan of the Bahia Tour personally.  When it comes down to two similar items like this I tend to go with the company that has a better customer support history with the community, if ya know what I mean.  ;)

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I just got back from REI in downtown Seattle, went there to try on the Leviathan as well as the the NRS Chinook and the new version of the Stohlquist Fisherman.  Looking online I was leaning towards the Leviathan.

It was the first one I tried on and it did fit well but the knife mount location and the diagonal straps on the other side were made out of cheap material and didn't appear to be held on very well, they looked liked they rip of after the first couple trips.  That pretty much turned me off of the Leviathan.

Spent the rest of the time going between the Chinook and the Fisherman, I liked the way they both fit.  Just for kicks I tried on a Bahia (which was on clearance) but didn't like it.  Ended up going with the Chinook

Kevin

jasperg

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
One thing to notice is that neither the Stohlquist nor the Wilderness Systems PFD's mentioned have an "under the rib-cage" strap. This strap is what keeps the PFD on your body if there is any chance you'll end up in dynamic water (surf, etc..)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
One thing to notice is that neither the Stohlquist nor the Wilderness Systems PFD's mentioned have an "under the rib-cage" strap. This strap is what keeps the PFD on your body if there is any chance you'll end up in dynamic water (surf, etc..)

Huh? What?  That belt is theoretically useful only if you happen to be a certain shape.  Round people get no benefit from it whatsoever, do they Mojo?   >:D

Both the Kokatat and the Stohlquist do, indeed, have belts below the rib cage - they're visible in the photos if you look for them.  Can't tell about the WS Wildy Fisher from their online photos.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

I got the Leviathan back in April and absolutely love it, no restriction of my arm movement, no issues with crab pot pulling or self recovery. 

The attach clip on the back of my radio lets me mount it to the PDF as you can see in this picture.  Also, my crab stick slides into one of the fleece lined hand warming pickets, it fits all the way in, I have pulled it out a bit in this image so you can see it.

For anyone considering the Leviathan, I am 6' 185# and the M/L fits great, plenty big enough over my suit.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:50:46 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)