Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:36:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Wheels for a Revo13  (Read 3563 times)

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
 Hi all, I’ve been debating on what wheels to get for my kayak. My favorite place to fish is a really long walk up the beach. I’ve taken this walk many times with some interesting homemade wheels. I’m over that. Wheelzze are the type I’ve been looking at most. My concern is how to store them on or in the kayak when fishing. It would totally suck to have them stashed in the bushes and get them stolen while out on the water. Also the product description says they weigh 15lbs and I’m wondering if that weight in addition to a load of fish could make the kayak a little unstable depending on where the load is. I normally store my catch in a kill bag in the area behind the seat. Having a big set of wheels back there could mean that system would need to change. It’s probably past time to get a game clip, but still the kill bag is totally necessary. What do you do? Would the mini Wheelzze work well enough with a load of fish and maybe another kayak on top? The walk is a solid two miles and the beach isn’t exactly flat, because there are a couple  stream crossings and it’s just not a flat beach.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Doesn't the wheeleez cart come apart? 
You could store it in the bow of your revo while you're out on the water.  Out of sight, in your possession and it balances the load of your fish kill bag at the stern.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
The mini-wheeleez would not be ideal.  Is there a place you could lock up your wheels on the beach with a cable lock, like a tree or something?  Carrying them on the revo is also not ideal.  If it is a 2 mile trek to the spot from the parking lot is theft a big concern? 

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I don't know the answer to your questions but I appreciate the hardcore nature of your kayak fishing. Two miles on sand! I'm also thinking of buying a Wheeleez. Carrying and dragging a kayak and all the accessories  even short distances has been no fun.

Casey

• Salmon
Doesn't the wheeleez cart come apart? 
You could store it in the bow of your revo while you're out on the water.  Out of sight, in your possession and it balances the load of your fish kill bag at the stern.
I think it does come apart. I just don’t know that it would fit.
My Wheeleez wheels come off and stow in the front hatch of my 2017 Outback, if needed.

Enough about wheels...where is this magical fishing spot worth trekking 2 miles to?
It’s the south side of cape lookout. The fishing is good, but what I love about it is that the cape completely blocks the north wind and swell so on days that could suck do to north wind it’s calm and beautiful by the cape.
The mini-wheeleez would not be ideal.  Is there a place you could lock up your wheels on the beach with a cable lock, like a tree or something?  Carrying them on the revo is also not ideal.  If it is a 2 mile trek to the spot from the parking lot is theft a big concern?
Locking them wouldn’t be an option since the come apart, right? I would have to stash them in the bushes. Even though it’s a long walk there are still a few people down there every time I’ve been.

Casey

• Salmon
I don't know the answer to your questions but I appreciate the hardcore nature of your kayak fishing. Two miles on sand! I'm also thinking of buying a Wheeleez. Carrying and dragging a kayak and all the accessories  even short distances has been no fun.
[/quote
Thanks! I really only make the trek when the conditions are crap elsewhere. Whatever it takes to get to the fish! Having a good set of wheels will make it a walk in the park. 😉

crash

• Salmon
Locking them wouldn’t be an option since the come apart, right? I would have to stash them in the bushes. Even though it’s a long walk there are still a few people down there every time I’ve been.

The carts come with wheels held on with cotterless hitch pins.  You can fabricate something different that doesn't come apart easily if you are handy, the wheels are available a la carte from the wheeleez website, a some EMT conduit, a pipe bender, pipe insulation and some fasteners and you are in business.  You might also be able to DIY a cart carrier on the rear well of the kayak.  I'm pretty sure the cart would not easily fit in the front hatch of a revo 13.  It might not fit at all, I haven't tried.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I built mine out of PVC eight years ago when I was told by many that PVC was a bad idea and never going to last. Whatever?  ::)

Anywho, I built mine to come apart into three parts of frame, one axle, and two wheels. All with just four locking pins.

The beauty of this unit is that I can change my axle (have two lengths) and run either size of the Wheeleez.

It can all fit inside the hull, or just plug in behind my seat. Never been a problem with weight distribution and I'm a bit more plump than you Casey.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
One more thing. If you end up running the larger Wheeleez and walk the distance, you can take a stem puller and remove the stem, squash the tires into a sort of triangle shape, reinstall the stem and the cap. This gets them to fit nicely in the front hatch. The Hobie cart frame can go behind you upside down, or under your cooler.

I use a ball pump with an extension to put in a few lbs of air when ready to roll home.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

crash

• Salmon
One more thing. If you end up running the larger Wheeleez and walk the distance, you can take a stem puller and remove the stem, squash the tires into a sort of triangle shape, reinstall the stem and the cap. This gets them to fit nicely in the front hatch. The Hobie cart frame can go behind you upside down, or under your cooler.

I use a ball pump with an extension to put in a few lbs of air when ready to roll home.

That would definitely work but it seems like a giant PITA. 

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

It's less of a pain in the ass than hauling your kayak 2 miles in the sand with the wrong wheels.
Been there done that.

If you take the stem back out and massage the tire back to a round shape you are half way there.  Put the stem back in and its only about a dozen pumps to 3psi in that big tire.

I would also suggest keeping a few spare valve stems in your first aid kit or other dry bag in the event one gets dropped in the sand and gets lost.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I built mine out of PVC eight years ago when I was told by many that PVC was a bad idea and never going to last. Whatever?  ::)

Anywho, I built mine to come apart into three parts of frame, one axle, and two wheels. All with just four locking pins.

The beauty of this unit is that I can change my axle (have two lengths) and run either size of the Wheeleez.

It can all fit inside the hull, or just plug in behind my seat. Never been a problem with weight distribution and I'm a bit more plump than you Casey.

Do you have a picture of it?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
My favorite launch is across a hundred yards of sand that's so soft and so deep that it feels like two miles.  Two miles or two "virtual" miles, it only takes a couple of those crossings to learn that nothing is more of a PITA than a cart with the wrong tires.

How may fish are you claiming you catch?  I wouldn't think five rockfish and two lings could weigh enough to throw a Revo too far out of trim.

I don't own a Wheelez so I don't know if this is true, but it seems to me that if you remove the wheels and axle and store them in the bow, the full-size scupper-mount Wheelez frame shouldn't be too heavy or take up too much room if carried in the stern well - and it wouldn't add much extra weight above the water-line without the wheels attached.

Let me know if I'm right.  I need to solve me own neverending beach problem.    :banjo:

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon

It's less of a pain in the ass than hauling your kayak 2 miles in the sand with the wrong wheels.
Been there done that.

If you take the stem back out and massage the tire back to a round shape you are half way there.  Put the stem back in and its only about a dozen pumps to 3psi in that big tire.

I would also suggest keeping a few spare valve stems in your first aid kit or other dry bag in the event one gets dropped in the sand and gets lost.

Can't disagree with that.

My favorite launch is across a hundred yards of sand that's so soft and so deep that it feels like two miles.  Two miles or two "virtual" miles, it only takes a couple of those crossings to learn that nothing is more of a PITA than a cart with the wrong tires.

How may fish are you claiming you catch?  I wouldn't think five rockfish and two lings could weigh enough to throw a Revo too far out of trim.

I don't own a Wheelez so I don't know if this is true, but it seems to me that if you remove the wheels and axle and store them in the bow, the full-size scupper-mount Wheelez frame shouldn't be too heavy or take up too much room if carried in the stern well - and it wouldn't add much extra weight above the water-line without the wheels attached.

Let me know if I'm right.  I need to solve me own neverending beach problem.    :banjo:

I'd skip the scupper mount.  The scuppers on the newer hobies are reinforced but still, that's not a place you want to put a whole lot of stress on your kayak.

Casey

• Salmon

All great points. Your advise is very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
I’ve used dirt bike tires with a conduit axle, old lawn mower trailers converted into kayak trailers, and bicycle wheels wrapped with pool noodles and a conduit axle to get to and from the cape. Most of the time with two kayaks per cart. All of those redneck contraptions have worked and sure as hell didn’t get stolen off the beach while I was fishing but I can’t wait to make the hike with a quality set of wheels! I’m going to order them now. I’ll keep the redneck wheels around for any of my buddies who come along without a set.  ;D

Been there done that.

Can't disagree with that.

I'd skip the scupper mount.  The scuppers on the newer hobies are reinforced but still, that's not a place you want to put a whole lot of stress on your kayak.

anything