Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: I Think My Battery Tender Jr Has a Problem  (Read 2194 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I hooked my 12V/9A SLA to it yesterday and the status light turned red - that's normal - but after 8 hours it hadn't turned green.  I switched from the 9A to my 8A battery and it was the same thing after 6 hours.  They're in separate battery boxes, the inline fuses are intact, and both charge directly through a 2-pin SAE connector - my battery boxes are similar to those pmmpete uses.

I haven't yet dragged out the volt/amp meter to check the batteries or the Battery Tender and before I go through that chore (the garage could be better organized) I wanted to ask if anyone else has seen this happen, and was it something that can be corrected in the garage or was the charger toasted?

Poo!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I have definitely seen this happen, a garage can get disorganized fairly quickly when your busy with daily life and hobbies!  >:D

Check the output amps, electronics fail over time plain and simple.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Sounds like it's time for you to buy a new charger.  Think of it as yet another investment in fun!  I have a Genius charger which I like.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I have definitely seen this happen, a garage can get disorganized fairly quickly when your busy with daily life and hobbies!  >:D

The real problem comes from allowing The Boss to organize the garage.  Years later and I still haven't changed her system...

Sounds like it's time for you to buy a new charger.  Think of it as yet another investment in fun!  I have a Genius charger which I like.

Thank you, pete.  I was looking at them this morning and the pictures made it appear to me that they use a proprietary 2-prong SAE connector.  Is that so?  Did you have to connect a standard SAE connector to be able to plug it into your battery box? 

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:53:46 PM by snopro »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I saw a good deal ($29) at costco yesterday...

Thanks!  Good to know and I appreciate the heads-up.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013

Thank you, pete.  I was looking at them this morning and the pictures made it appear to me that they use a proprietary 2-prong SAE connector.  Is that so?  Did you have to connect a standard SAE connector to be able to plug it into your battery box?
The plug on the output wire of the Genius chargers plugs into three or four alternative terminal connectors, one of which is the standard 2-pin SAE connector.  The others include spring clamps and screw-down spade connectors.  So you have a lot of options for how you connect the charger to different batteries.  In the picture shown below, the black thing in the lower right corner of the picture is the connector to the various terminal connectors.  But I recently noticed that Genius chargers have a different design than the one shown in this picture, so check the current model of charger to be sure it includes a 2-pin SAE connector.

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I had a jr quit working similarly after maybe 4 or 5 years.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
The plug on the output wire of the Genius chargers plugs into three or four alternative terminal connectors, one of which is the standard 2-pin SAE connector.  The others include spring clamps and screw-down spade connectors.  So you have a lot of options for how you connect the charger to different batteries.  In the picture shown below, the black thing in the lower right corner of the picture is the connector to the various terminal connectors.  But I recently noticed that Genius chargers have a different design than the one shown in this picture, so check the current model of charger to be sure it includes a 2-pin SAE connector.

It would seem they'd have to have a standard SAE plug (Duh on me) but I'll look first.  Thank you.

I had a jr quit working similarly after maybe 4 or 5 years.

What is the world coming to if we can't get a $24 charger to last a lifetime.  Thanks for the note.  I guess it's toast because the output volts and amp are way below what they're meant to be.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I was told by a friend that worked for a number of years at an Interstate battery distributor that BT's "re-contracted" their manufacturing a number of years ago. She said the newer ones have cheaper components and don't stack up in performance or longevity as compared with the older models.

If you see an older one at a garage sale snag it.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I was told by a friend that worked for a number of years at an Interstate battery distributor that BT's "re-contracted" their manufacturing a number of years ago. She said the newer ones have cheaper components and don't stack up in performance or longevity as compared with the older models.

If you see an older one at a garage sale snag it.

Thank you.  I'll probably need a new charger before I can find an older Battery Tender, anywhere, but it's good advice and I'll take it!