Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: My homemade kayak trailer  (Read 44484 times)

smitty24

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

My wife and I got our new kayaks a couple weeks ago and went back and forth on how to transport them.  She's got a Jeep Wrangler with a hardtop so it's a little more complicated than just throwing them on the roof rack.  Long story short, decided to put together a trailer so we can use it with any vehicle we own now or in the future.  I got a harbor freight 4'x8' "heavy duty" kit with the 12" wheels for just under $350.  I found the Yakima hullraisers used on craigslist for $125 for all 4, and then about $75 in steel.  I figure I've got less than $600 in the whole thing.  The cradles slide right off to store inside the vehicle while out paddling or using the trailer for something other than hauling yaks.  Anyway, seems to work real well.  Thought I'd post it since I spent a few days scouring the net looking for ideas on how to do a yak trailer.  I intended to get a 5'x9' trailer originally but they didn't have any in the store.  I'm glad now.  With the way I mounted the supports on the outside of the rail there's plenty of room left on the trailer for bikes and eventually a removable storage area/gear locker.  A 5'x9' would have hogged more garage space.

One quick question.  Is there any reason I can't store the yaks on the trailer the way they sit? 

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006

One quick question.  Is there any reason I can't store the yaks on the trailer the way they sit? 

Sure!

They'd be happy on those racks or flat on the trailer (as opposed to on edge). I modified a small daysailer trailer by adding a couple of athwartship bunks and my boats live on it full time. I like to store mine upside down to keep the bunks from denting the hull.

Nice looking work on your trailer! :thumbsup:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,556.0.html

"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

On their edge like that in those J-craddles is ideal.   Even flat on the trailer like Wali suggests isn't so bad.

However, if were usng regular saddles, keeping the boats with the bottom of the hulls resting on the saddles long term isn't so great and can cause your haul to warp.

Brian 
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
When I build my utility trailer for towing behind my truck camper (whenever that happens  ::)),  I plan to have mine store upside down like they do on my Toyota rack.  I'll still probably build some "J" brackets for when we need more room for more kayaks, bikes or other toys.

But, the way my kayaks ride up above the Toyota, they seem to be holding shape great.  I've had my T13 locked up there for two weeks now.  Even fits in the parking garage at work.  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I think I saw you guys the other weekend out in the harbor paddling around. Trailer looks great.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

squidgirl

• Salmon
insayn... i have to agree . most people around here know me from my yak on my truck.. its been there all week. just incase the weather broke and i could go out.
"Life is short lets go fishing"

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
insayn... i have to agree . most people around here know me from my yak on my truck.. its been there all week. just incase the weather broke and i could go out.

Mine being left on the truck was partly because I was too lazy to take it down and put it away, and the other was to tease some buddies at work.  I usually get to work sooner and leave later then they do.    They are on the fence right now on getting kayaks, so I thought I'd stir the pot for them.  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

squidgirl

• Salmon
i wasnt going to admit it but mine is still on the truck cause of that. laziness. i havent taken it of since i went out with Yak Monkey and Huntnhick the other weekend. i do plan on taking it off sunday when i put it in the water. LOL
"Life is short lets go fishing"

smitty24

• Plankton
Thanks everyone!  I'm glad I can safely store the yaks right on the trailer.  Makes it nice and easy when we head out.  And that was probably us the other day out in the harbor.  That was our maiden voyage, so we decided to just paddle along the hook while we got used to them.  Gonna go paddle Lake Crescent or Aldwell Wednesday I think.  Wanted to go this weekend but didn't find the time!

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Very nice work Smitty, I'm gonna be doing some metal work on my neighbors trailer to hold 3 yaks, so all the ideas i can get is good
See ya on the water..
Roy

anything