Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Depoe Bay bottomfish report - 1/29/2019  (Read 3057 times)

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Some of my best days on the OR salt have been in January. Freezing temps in Portland, 14 degrees coming over the coastal range, and a bluebird 40+ degrees on the coast.
Life is better on the OR coast! A couple buddies went out in a PB that same day & pulled in some beauties. I enjoyed their music selection but prefer netting my own fish.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2B9FdPEDrFw
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Nice fish and report Clayman.
Some of my best days on the OR salt have been in January. Freezing temps in Portland, 14 degrees coming over the coastal range, and a bluebird 40+ degrees on the coast.
Life is better on the OR coast! A couple buddies went out in a PB that same day & pulled in some beauties. I enjoyed their music selection but prefer netting my own fish.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2B9FdPEDrFw
Those are some donkeys Hugh.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I know that part of the quota goes away from the reports of C&R cabezon. Every time the F&W rep does a survey and someone reports catching and releasing X number of cabezon it counts against the quota. I believe they use a percentage, say for instance if they figure out that 10% of fish released may have been harmed, or something they then use that average every time a boat reports releasing a fish. Especially when you start factoring in charter boats and stuff there are a lot of cabezon released before July 1, therefore a decent chunk of the quota is gone before the season even opens.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'd heard something along the lines of that the average size of last year's retained cabezon was much larger than usual, which accounted for the quota filling quickly and the resulting mid-August closure.  But I haven't looked into this to confirm.  It doesn't really bother me one way or the other if I can or cannot keep a cabezon.

There was an ODFW fish checker at the ramp on Tuesday, but she was only interested in checking the power boats.  So at least my four released cabbies won't go against the 2019 quota  ::).
aMayesing Bros.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I'd heard something along the lines of that the average size of last year's retained cabezon was much larger than usual, which accounted for the quota filling quickly and the resulting mid-August closure.  But I haven't looked into this to confirm.  It doesn't really bother me one way or the other if I can or cannot keep a cabezon.

There was an ODFW fish checker at the ramp on Tuesday, but she was only interested in checking the power boats.  So at least my four released cabbies won't go against the 2019 quota  ::).

I alss think the Cabs last year were larger than normal.  My buddy hooked a 30 inch Cab at ORC and i believe had one a bit larger but never took a measurement
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Cabezon is one of my favorite fish for the BBQ. Here's the email I got from ODFW about the Cabezon quota.
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:08 PM
To: Paul; Maggie.Sommer@state.or.us; Christian.T.Heath@state.or.us
Subject: RE: sport anglers can no longer retain cabezon

Hello Mr. Walker,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.  I’ve attempted to respond to your questions, with some additional detail in an effort to anticipate some follow-up questions that might arise:

“When was the last time this species had a population survey conducted & analyzed?” 
•        The last stock assessment was conducted in 2009, and the next assessment will be in summer, 2019. 
o   Stock assessments are scheduled by the Pacific Fishery Management Council, which has a goal of assessing each of the more than 90 groundfish species at least every ten years. 
o   Data used in the assessment will include information on catches and released fish collected by the states’ sampling programs through 2018.  We have been hearing reports similar to yours from a lot of anglers this year, who say they have encountered more cabezon, and larger ones, this year than ever before.  It’s too early to say how this might translate into the assessment results, but good to know it will be considered.
o   Total annual catch limits (the amount of all fishing-related annual mortality that a stock can sustainably support on a long-term basis) are set by the Pacific Fishery Management Council based on stock assessment results. The Council manages on a 2-year cycle beginning in odd years, so the first year in which we will have a new annual catch limit for cabezon based on the upcoming 2019 assessment will be 2021.

“What is the quota limit for recreational retention versus commercial retention?”
•        In 2018, the recreational quota for cabezon is 16.8 metric tons, and the commercial quota is 30.2 metric tons. 
o   These amounts are determined by applying specified proportions (36% recreational, 64% commercial) to the overall total annual catch limit for Oregon cabezon. 
o   The proportions are approved by the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission each year when they adopt the recreational and commercial quotas.  They are different for each nearshore species or species group.  The proportions were initially set by the Commission in 2005, based on the actual harvest levels for each nearshore species/group in the recreational and commercial fisheries in Oregon in 2000. 
  The year 2000 was chosen by the Commission as a point that reduced commercial harvest of nearshore groundfish below the higher levels to which it had grown by 2005.  The commercial nearshore fishery began a period of rapid growth in 1997, and the Commission wanted to limit it at a level that recognized some of that growth, but not the full amount of it, due to concerns about the status of nearshore stocks (little was known at that time). 
  For cabezon, the quotas set in 2005 represented about a 30% decrease from the year 2000 commercial harvest levels, and about a 6% increase from the 2000 recreational harvest levels. 
o   The proportions are different for other species, with black rockfish and nearshore rockfish going more to the recreational fishery and more cabezon and greenling to the commercial fishery, based on that original year-2000 baseline.  Currently, the recreational share of black rockfish is 76%, of minor nearshore rockfish is 72%, and of greenlings is 25%. 
o   The proportions have not changed, except for technical adjustments associated with changes in species groupings, since they were established; the Commission has continued to reaffirm them on an annual basis and it would take Commission action to change them. 

“Is commercial cabezon retention also closed? If not, why not?”
•        Commercial cabezon retention remains open because the commercial fishery has not reached its quota (30.2 mt this year). 
•        The commercial and recreational fisheries are managed independently of each other, with the goal that neither one affects the other in-season. 

I hope I have answered your questions.  You are welcome to call our office next week (541-867-4741, ask for me or Christian) if you would like any additional information.

Regards,
Maggie

Maggie Sommer   Marine Fisheries Section Leader
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, 2040 SE Marine Science DR., Newport, OR 97365
(541) 867-0300 x227   maggie.sommer@state.or.us

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
That's some great info PNW, thanks for passing it along!

Sounds like the current cabezon season/limit will remain in play for a while.
aMayesing Bros.

JamesM

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
That is a nice cab!

anything