Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Walleye Trips in March and April  (Read 2482 times)

Aervax

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
The guides all say late February to mid April is the time to catch the biggest walleye.  That is perfect timing from my point of view as I am looking to catch a few fish here in the gorge while waiting for the water to warm up and bass fishing to pick up. 

I am looking for partners in crime to make the experience safer and more fun. Honestly, I am a blank slate when it comes to walleye fishing.  I have caught a few on accident over the years, but never on purpose.  Haha. 
It is time time for me to learn another species, and walleye fill this slow fishing time slot perfectly before bass and wild trout fishing start to pick up in the gorge and nearby rivers.

Dates I am looking at this week are March 5, 6 or 7.  That is Tues, Wed or Thurs.  I am flexible on the day or the plan if a different date is better for interested fishing pardners.  Of course I will be planning more trips over the weeks to come.

Location is partially dependent on wind and weather. I am thinking about the John Day Arm of the Columbia out by Le Page Park.  There is an old farm road that drops into the John Day Arm about 3 miles below the narrows and the falls.  If the snow isn't too bad that is my preferred launch for a starting point in kayaks this time of year.  Second choice is Le Page Park as long as it is not too windy there.  There are some very specific spots that I am going to try bank fishing for walleye if it is too windy to safely or comfortably fish from kayaks. 

All the above locations are good spots to launch kayaks, pontoons, small skiffs or drift boats. I am open to walleye fishing partners with any of the above. 

Send a PM if you are interested in putting something together with me.  I look forward to reporting back on my new hunt for walleye on the Columbia. 

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Not trying to burst your bubble but that road your talking about has 3-4ft snow drifts on it.they are using snowblowers from mt hood in Sherman county if that gives you any idea. I work for odot so I know lol. I'm not 100% sure that road is open to the public anyway. It goes to Philipi park but I think it's only useable by boat.

If I was you I would focus on the Columbia below the Johnday dam to celilo. I fish walleye a lot in winter,spring,early sumer. I can't even get my boat or kayak out right now.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I live just outside of The Dalles and fish often here in the gorge. I would always enjoy some company out there on the water. I will be on an out of town work assignment for the month of March but in early April I am game to chase down some walleye pigs. I have some stretches that have produced really well in May and I expect the same in April. I will hit you up when the time comes.

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I’ve done a few trips for walleye outside the mouth of the deschutes (with mixed results), and I’m certainly into it. I can’t go out the dates you’ve posted, but I’ll respond and show up for other group outings in March-May if folks put them up here.

Good luck.

Aervax

• Krill
@yaktastic

Consider my bubble burst.  Haha.  I also have 3 feet of snow at my place.  My kayaks and my rack are still buried in it, which does not motivate me much. It was 5 degrees here in the hills, last night.  I was going to hit a spot near The Dalles and try a little Bank fishing  for walleye, today.  Time to press reset on that idea.  For now, I am going to wait for warmer temps and fish later this week.  I will get the yak and rack set up in  a week or so.

Aervax

• Krill
@lutefisk
@nomas
As the weather evolves I will post reports and updates on my outing plans here.  I hope we are able to meet up on the Columbia or thereabout, sometime this spring. 

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Awesome. You had me at local walleye reports. Looking forward to it.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
@yaktastic

Consider my bubble burst.  Haha.  I also have 3 feet of snow at my place.  My kayaks and my rack are still buried in it, which does not motivate me much. It was 5 degrees here in the hills, last night.  I was going to hit a spot near The Dalles and try a little Bank fishing  for walleye, today.  Time to press reset on that idea.  For now, I am going to wait for warmer temps and fish later this week.  I will get the yak and rack set up in  a week or so.

When the weather turns and you want to go with me your more than welcome. I use my hobie and my jetboat.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Aervax

• Krill
I have been dabbling and scouting for smallmouth from the bank, more scouting than fishing so far. No bites. Still too cold out there for bass from the bank of the Columbia anyway.  Got my kayak up on the truck bed rack now for the first time this year.  Gearing up to do some walleye fishing on the Columbia second half of next week.  It would be great to make it an outing with fishing partners.  Send me a PM if you are interested. 

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
I plan to get out this week/weekend. Watching the wind forecast to pick the good days. Will probably fish near Biggs and/or Doug Beach State Park downriver from The Dalles.

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
I plan to get out this week/weekend. Watching the wind forecast to pick the good days. Will probably fish near Biggs and/or Doug Beach State Park downriver from The Dalles.

I was looking at going either thurs or fri.  One day looks dryer, the other day looks calmer.  Still a few days out. Post back up if you firm up your plans....I may join you out there.

Aervax

• Krill
My plan is to fish Thursday and Friday, this week.  I am open to launching out of Rufus, or Doug's or, Heritage/Deschutes more or less in that order.  It sounds like I probably should lean toward Rufus if the wind forecast holds.  If the wind shuts down kayak fishing on the Columbia I will switch to bass fishing in one of the sloughs by either kayak, or wading.  I am compelled to get out there one way or another for fresh air and exercise.  Catching a few would be a bonus, but at this point in the year I am sort of okay with flailing the water for the sake of just being on the water and enjoying the outdoors.  I would love fishing companions if you are up for it, and am open to following your lead on launch time and location. 

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
I will fish Friday at Rufus, I have not fished there before but @Aervax wants to hit it up and I will join. Put in at that large gravel pit down river from the actual boat launch, little before 7 AM?

Saturday I will put in at Doug's Beach State Park downriver from The Dalles.

Might fish Sunday too.

Open invite to anyone who wants to join. FYI there is free camping at Avery Recreation Area on the Washington side just upriver from The Dalles. Its a government-treaty fishing area. There is usually no one there this time of the year and I have never had problems there. But the trains run all night long and it can be noisy.

Aervax

• Krill
Starting to kayak bigger waters is making me more aware of wind forecast when planning trips.  Weather forecast shows some rain both Thursday and Friday, but not too bad.  Wind forecast for Rufus is light on Thursday, but starts picking up to 7 mph by late morning on Friday.  Friday wind forecast is better in the Dalles, but still picking up by Friday afternoon.  In your experience what wind speed starts making big water uncomfortably choppy for kayak fishing?  I am usually on smaller  bodies of water where big wind pushes my kayak around some without making big waves.  Generally speaking, what wind speed is your cutoff for kayaking on the Columbia?  How do you think wind forecast compares to general weather forecast in terms of accuracy?  Personal experiences are not an exact science, but can still be a good starting point.  Experience based feedback on this would be much appreciated. 

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
In your experience what wind speed starts making big water uncomfortably choppy for kayak fishing?  I am usually on smaller  bodies of water where big wind pushes my kayak around some without making big waves.  Generally speaking, what wind speed is your cutoff for kayaking on the Columbia?

Cut off is a hard thing to pin down.  Wind is only one piece of the puzzle in the Gorge.  As runoff starts the Columbia will drastically increase flow rate. The Columbia with a 10 mph West wind at 150k will feel way different at 300k. 

Wind direction is important.  The same amount of wind blowing from the opposite direction, E vs W, will feel different.  The fishing method matters too.  Trolling is generally more wind tolerant than vertical jigging.

How do you think wind forecast compares to general weather forecast in terms of accuracy?  Personal experiences are not an exact science, but can still be a good starting point.  Experience based feedback on this would be much appreciated. 

All the forecasts look at the same data and can be inconsistent.  The Gorge is a tough place to predict accurately, particularly in the Spring and Fall.  The interpretation of data Temeria does at www.thegorgeismygym.com tends to be more accurate than most.

I always compare the forecast to real time data before heading out.  https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap is a good source and if you want to see what's happening
http://www.sailworks.com/bp/Gorge_Wind_Cams.html

anything