Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:13:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: salmon hook reg Q  (Read 2655 times)

Rock

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I'm new to fishing in this area & it seems the 2 hooks for salmon is the magic number on 1 rod if I read it right? About the hooks on that rod, many of the "Rapala" baits I have brought with me are out of the box with up to 4 treble hooks located evenly from tip to tail of the bait- for proper action. Besides smashing all kinds of barbs will I need to remove a hook or 2 (& likely re-tune ea. 1) from some of my baits to avoid doing something wrong?

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I'm new to fishing in this area & it seems the 2 hooks for salmon is the magic number on 1 rod if I read it right? About the hooks on that rod, many of the "Rapala" baits I have brought with me are out of the box with up to 4 treble hooks located evenly from tip to tail of the bait- for proper action. Besides smashing all kinds of barbs will I need to remove a hook or 2 (& likely re-tune ea. 1) from some of my baits to avoid doing something wrong?

It depends on where you're fishing.
From the regs pertaining to the ocean:
No more than 2 single point barbless hooks allowed at all times when angling for salmon in the ocean or when angling for other species if a salmon has already been retained.
So no trebles, no barbs, only 2 hooks. Also, only one line per person.
Other areas, such as bays and rivers have different regs for hooks and barbs. Check the regs for the specific area you plan to fish in.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Everything Rawkfish said is spot-on.

If you want to keep your Rapalas intact, there are dozens of alternative baits and lures available that are very effective on salmon.  Some of the more popular options out here include straight bait (typically frozen herring or anchovies), cut-plug herring, hoochies, Apex, spoons, Brads Super Baits, and many others.  All of these offerings are amenable to being fished with one or two single barbless hooks in the ocean.
aMayesing Bros.

Rock

• Krill
Thanks, - I thought a treble hook was considered only 1 hook so on baits with only 2 of those on they are still ok right? Only 1 rod still. I do have the regs and read them regularly but I've been told many many times that I'm bad with directions, the regs here have many differences compared to what I knew & can be confusing. (I had a hard time just getting into this forum sadly.) Some days/moments are better than others. Having had a severe TBI has some difficulties but I try not to complain. Anyways, I have many other various baits by most the brands on the market, just trying to avoid errors being new to Oregon and salt as I try to get back out M-F & sometimes even more. Thanks again-

Rock

• Krill
BTW- I plan on mostly fishing around, in, or out of Newport/Yaquina bay area I believe.   :-\

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks, - I thought a treble hook was considered only 1 hook so on baits with only 2 of those on they are still ok right? Only 1 rod still. I do have the regs and read them regularly but I've been told many many times that I'm bad with directions, the regs here have many differences compared to what I knew & can be confusing. (I had a hard time just getting into this forum sadly.) Some days/moments are better than others. Having had a severe TBI has some difficulties but I try not to complain. Anyways, I have many other various baits by most the brands on the market, just trying to avoid errors being new to Oregon and salt as I try to get back out M-F & sometimes even more. Thanks again-

On any particular river and out of any particular port people tend to fish the exact same baits and terminal tackle at any given time. I’m talking like 80%+. Go to the local tackle shop and they will show you the rig and sell it to you. You can do quite well by mimicking the folks around you until you get your bearings.  It is really as simple as going to the tackle shop and chatting them up.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013

Rock -  4 treble hooks = 4x3= 12 points of hooks, so, no, that's not legal for ocean salmon in Oregon.  The regs say you are allowed two single pointed hooks fishing for Oregon ocean salmon, and those two pointed hooks need to have the barbs pinched down so they are barbless.  Count the hook points, you can only have two.

Rock

• Krill
Thanks everybody.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
On any particular river and out of any particular port people tend to fish the exact same baits and terminal tackle at any given time. I’m talking like 80%+. Go to the local tackle shop and they will show you the rig and sell it to you. You can do quite well by mimicking the folks around you until you get your bearings.  It is really as simple as going to the tackle shop and chatting them up.

^^^This^^^

No need to reinvent a well-greased wheel.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

Rock -  4 treble hooks = 4x3= 12 points of hooks, so, no, that's not legal for ocean salmon in Oregon.  The regs say you are allowed two single pointed hooks fishing for Oregon ocean salmon, and those two pointed hooks need to have the barbs pinched down so they are barbless.  Count the hook points, you can only have two.

and I'm pretty sure that 2 single point hooks means two separate hooks with single points.  A treble with one hook cut off would a no.  Also one of the double point hooks that are bent so you can easily add them to a lure, also a no.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Rock

• Krill
This is what I could find regarding treble hooks

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
That’s for ground fish, aka bottom fish ,aka rockfish.... not salmon ifyou have a salmon on board you MUST still fish with salmon legal gear ....2 SINGLE POINT HOOKS only....... So treble hooks and salmon = $1000 +<- fine and loss of fishing license for a few years.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012

But it has to be a single point barbless hook.   A Treble hook  is a three-point hook. So no treble hooks allowed for salmon in the ocean. "• Ocean salmon — no more than two single point barbless hooks when angling for salmon in the ocean, or when angling for other ocean species with salmon or steelhead onboard."
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Stop trying to figure this out on your own. It’s not working. Go to the tackle shop.  An honest to goodness old school sporting goods store that has been there for decades.  Not Freddie’s or Bimart.

I’m lucky enough to bring a lawyer with me when I go fishing and have the regs pretty well figured out, and even then I stick to what everyone else is doing unless I know something that they don’t.

Rock

• Krill
thanks- I avoid any box store whenever possible & haven't any intention on going to one. I'll find somebody to talk to about fishing when it works out I suppose, I'll likely go to the ODFW office & talk to a officer there or at the ramp directly & I won't go get sold whatever the bait shop has if I can avoid it.  Looks like lots of boat rides & clamming until it comes around, I've got time & I'd like to avoid a 1K$ reg reminder. Thanks again all