Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 18, 2024, 10:19:10 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 11:30:33 PM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 15, 2024, 05:06:01 PM]

[March 12, 2024, 12:47:00 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[March 07, 2024, 07:18:54 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

[February 23, 2024, 05:38:08 PM]

[February 20, 2024, 05:22:22 AM]

by shad
[February 14, 2024, 08:33:25 AM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Video: Run in with boat  (Read 16118 times)

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009

Yeah, or better yet, one person anchor pointing up river, one pointing down river so you can watch each others' backsides.

This isn't the 'Butt opener thread!

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
You know, I was gonna say, every time I've, ahem... "ACCIDENTLY" rear-ended someone, I've at least been gracious enough to buy them dinner.

Those Dorito-shell tacos come in six-packs, you know?

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

FisHunter

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
YIKES! could have easily been way worser! Good thing he saw you at the last second....i would have lost my head!

that as crazy as crazy gets! right up there with getting hit by Whitey! :icon_pale:

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

Yeah, or better yet, one person anchor pointing up river, one pointing down river so you can watch each others' backsides.

This isn't the 'Butt opener thread!

Yeah, I guess I should've seen that one coming.  :laughing7:

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Glad you are okay.  You have not mentioned any damage to your kayak.  At first I thought your rudder was torn off, but I think it was the lower on their outboard.

Actually, I am surprised this does not happen more often.  In the past when I bank fished I'd see PBs zooming up and down the river at 30, 40, or more MPH.  Even at the time I thought it reckless and dangerous.  Add a few beers ...   The salt seems safer but it could just be the "big sky effect".  Sometimes as I watch a PB barreling toward me from afar I wonder if there is even someone at the helm.

Again, glad you're okay.  Let's keep our heads on the swivel.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Man, j that's nuts. I'm glad you're ok. Also glad the guy was cool about it. My first inclination was to type "what a douche!" but the fact that he didn't take off and was super apologetic makes this just a crazy "shit happens" situation with no real douchers involved. Perhaps he was planed as pelagic suggested. Who knows. So cool you got it on video. I always say...gotta keep that thing runnin ALL THE TIME when yer on the water cuz you never know what crazy shit's about to happen.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Glad to see you are OK.  Mind if I use the video in the presentation for the CCA?

THAT is a great idea! 

Time to start a new line of bumper stickers based on the Share the Road theme.  "See Kayaks"
Glad you made it thru that ordeal with all your limbs in tact!

... I always say...gotta keep that thing runnin ALL THE TIME when yer on the water cuz you never know what crazy shit's about to happen.

And, no one would know better than you Rory.  ;D

-Spot-
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:54:23 AM by Spot »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
No doubt. "Crazy Shit" is Rory's middle name.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Glad you're ok.  Thanks for showing a vivid reminder not to ever feel fully relaxed while on the water.

I thought the first one of these I'd hear about would be in the toilet bowl at Drano, a choppy ocean or on a white capped Columbia.   Areas where visibility could be impaired or boat density is maximized. 

Did they come form the what looks like a boat launch near you?

X2 getting it on video.  Could lead to some good discussions with the PB crowd.

hydrospider

Strong work Jammer. Not just documenting an event that will bring about increased awareness, but displaying great composure and class during the situation.
I think the safety flag in full effect is what I find most disturbing.
Oh, and way to avoid a swim! You represent Hobie well.

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
This is one of the reasons I like these GoPro's. You can just turn em on, set the angle and forget about them. I'm soooo happy i ended up Ok after this. I'm sure we can all see that it could have been a lot worse. When the guy brought back my paddle he mentioned that he and his buddy were in fact pretty busy chatting and weren't paying very close attention. Do you think???
As far as damage to my Outback is concerned, NOTHING IS BROKE! :)
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Glad to hear your boat is not damaged.Oh yeah and that you are ok too.That could have had soooo much worse an outcome.
       Hope this won't freak you out for future adventures...but I doubt that it will.You are a strong man,Micheal.And I'm sure you'll get right back out there.
        Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I think I'm always going to leave the mast on the TI and hang a massive American Flag on it. Plus a huge strobe! Maybe a disco ball...
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

kykfshr

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Yikes that was close Micheal, Glad your OK.  Thanks for posting the video, It will for sure increase safety awareness for kayak fishers.  Hopefully it will be posted on the other fishing forums to spark discussion. 

Scott

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Jim Sammons shared the video on Facebook. I think it could go viral! I am so glad you, and your yak, are OK. This incident should be a wake up call for all of us. Whenever I here a PBr approaching, I always keep an eye on them!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover