Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: New yak rak in progress  (Read 1853 times)

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Just a quick post in case anyone else is interested.  I had thought about sinking posts but I like to test things and change my mind a lot.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
First rack?  The only comment I have is about the bottom kayak.  I have a kayak in a low lower rack about the same height above the ground as yours, and it's been a PITA getting it in and out - mostly putting it back in after a long day.  My old back would have appreciated it if I'd given it a bit more vertical space.  Your mileage will most definitely vary.   ;D

Otherwise, it's looking good.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Yep, first rack and a prototype.  Could go higher but I'm trying to keep it semi unobtrusive and below the top of the fence.  Debating some kind of roof before I trim the awkward looking verts.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I vote you go fully enclosed shad with two large doors! Looking good man keep them things off the ground.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks for posting! I am also in the middle of a kayak rack build, but with different design considerations. I'll post up if I ever get time to finish it.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
+1 on Mojo for fully enclosed to protect from the sun, but looking good. 

Is there enough room for a smaller door on one or both ends?  Bigger center doors create hanging challenges.  Maybe a door on one end and a plastic roof panel(s) in the center or ends so you can have some light? Walk in, lift and deposit?  Maybe even a removable PVC pipe ramp with hooks over the end of the rack?  Walk up, lay it on the pipes, slide it in, tip it up and store the ramps?  Just quick thoughts.  Also, it it's not posted in the ground, maybe look for a way to secure it to the side of the house.  Blow downs aren't good and it might be a tad top heavy?

All of that said, don't let us increase the size of your project, cause we will :spittake:

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I have been needing to build one of these for my garage. 

I would consider some sort of locking mechanism.  I would be scared to keep my kayaks outside due to theft.  I live in a nicer neighborhood but you never know.

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
After a better look at the picture.... If you have enough WAF points and $$ for lumber you could build a long shed that comes out to the side walk and your golden! Walk them in next to the rack then lift onto the rack. Plus side is less grass to mow and a place to put the kayak gear out of the way. It’s a win-win.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
First rack?  The only comment I have is about the bottom kayak.  I have a kayak in a low lower rack about the same height above the ground as yours, and it's been a PITA getting it in and out

Raising the lowest rack a little might also make it easier to mow/weed whack through there. It also might discourage neighborhood cats from turning it into a litter box or having a litter of kittens under there. Some corrugated fiberglass would make for an easy durable cover.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy