Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:21:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:07:15 PM]

[Today at 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Help - fish finder wiring  (Read 1658 times)

Chromer

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I understand this might be a simple question but I don’t want to do anything wrong.  I received my lowrance hook 2-5 in the mail yesterday and started to install it.  My question refers to the fuse.  I know you connect the fuse to the positive power wire (the red one) but my entire fuse holder is black. Do I still connect it the the red power cable (red to black)?  I am new at this and am confused as to why Lowrance would make a cable black that connects to a red.  In the installation videos I have seen, the fuse holder wire is red and in the users manual, the picture of the fuse holder has a red cable.  Lowrance is no help because their support lines close early and their email questionare doesn’t work.
I thought I’d take this to the experts before making any stupid mistakes.
Thanks,
Joe

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Yes, the fuse block always goes into the red (positive) lead.  Don't let the colors confuse you.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Yes, the fuse block always goes into the red (positive) lead.  Don't let the colors confuse you.

Sort of.  There are times that a fuse should be placed on the negative lead (and almost always as a redundant protection for reverse polarity or you are are in a situation that requires a positive ground), which may be why you got a fuse holder with black wires that someone mixed up somewhere.  I agree that they should generally be red.

If you do not seek out one of those times where you would put the fuse on the negative side, you are extremely unlikely to encounter it.

Or mostly just roll with what Tinker said, and don't let the colors confuse you.  And definitely don't let me confuse you.  Go ahead and connect black to red in this instance.  Get some red heat shrink tubing if it makes you feel better.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I understand this might be a simple question but I don’t want to do anything wrong.  I received my lowrance hook 2-5 in the mail yesterday and started to install it.  My question refers to the fuse.  I know you connect the fuse to the positive power wire (the red one) but my entire fuse holder is black. Do I still connect it the the red power cable (red to black)?  I am new at this and am confused as to why Lowrance would make a cable black that connects to a red.  In the installation videos I have seen, the fuse holder wire is red and in the users manual, the picture of the fuse holder has a red cable.  Lowrance is no help because their support lines close early and their email questionare doesn’t work.
I thought I’d take this to the experts before making any stupid mistakes.
Thanks,
Joe
As long as you know it’s hooked to positive your fine, if you sell it the new owner may look ang wtf but who sells a kayak anyways... I just buy more kayaks  ;D if you gots the know how solder the connections and heat shrink them. Color don’t matter as long as the installer knows the connection sequence. Unless your doing the job for someone else for pay.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

anything