Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: bsteves anchor system  (Read 43325 times)

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I'd like to start on an anchor system for winter fishing.  Is there a parts list for the bsteves anchor system?  It looks like a good way to go.  Suggestions, updates, and sources for parts is appreciated.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I'd like to start on an anchor system for winter fishing.  Is there a parts list for the bsteves anchor system?  It looks like a good way to go.  Suggestions, updates, and sources for parts is appreciated.
I'm also interested.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Okay, okay, I'll write an article.   Give me a couple days.  Until then..

1   -  3 lb folding anchor
3  ft of 1/4" chain
1  extension cord winder
1  brass or stainless clip
1  brass or stainless ring
1  crab buoy 
200+ ft 3/16" braided nylon
12 ft 1/2" bow line  (6 ft for bow line, 6 ft for buoy line)
jam cleat for 1/2" line

Here is some old text and photos from a previous post.

My set up is pretty much like this one by FishShim of NCKA except for the cable reel I used (I'm using the extension cord winder) and my choice to add an anchor chain instead of the 2 lb weight.

Oh another difference with mine.. I think my bow line configuration is probably safer than FishShim's stern line in the Willamette.  We saw a lot of large pieces of wood coming down stream and unlike power boats they really don't make much warning noise.  I was glad to face up river so I could seem them coming.  A stern line however would have been much nicer to fish with because it would allow your line to stay in front of you and you wouldn't have to worry about the anchor line in front of you.  I'm choosing safety over convenience.

As for the 300 ft of line.  I probably could have ordered a whole spool somewhere online, but I bought 3 x 100 ft bags of line (3/16" braided nylon) at Joe's for about $7 each.  I tied them together to make one long line.  I'm not too worried about the knots. If anything, I figure they provide a weak link in case I find myself unable to retrieve the anchor from the bottom.  Better to break off deep, then to cut the line near the surface and create a possible hazard to navigation.  Anyway, the knots also work as 100 ft line markers.  I used a sharpie to mark out 50 ft sections in the second and third hundred feet and 10 ft sections in the first 100 ft to use as a rough sounding line.

When I get on station, I detach the reel from the buoy, drop the anchor and let the line spin off the reel pretty quickly.  When I hit bottom I figure out the depth (a fish finder eliminates this stop, but they don't always function right), then I feed out enough line for a 3:1 or 4:1 scope depending on current.  I then reattach the reel to the buoy line such that the line can no longer spin (photo later) and toss the reel and buoy into the water attached to the quick release bow line.  Being made of plastic it doesn't weigh the buoy down but does cause some minor drag.

Anyway, to pull up the anchor, I paddle upstream first until the anchor tightens again, detach the reel from the buoy line and start reeling as I float back down.  Once I get above the anchor with the line straight down I give it a tug and reel the anchor up.  Works pretty well, and I can deploy and pull anchor pretty quickly.

I must add though that the current really wasn't that bad on Sunday, so I'm not sure how good of a test this really was.  I could always get slightly thinner line, a bigger buoy, and a heavier anchor if need be.

Here are some photos.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:07:42 PM by bsteves »
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thanks Brian.  Started collecting parts already.  Hope to be ready for a sturgeon trip in December.

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006

What Brian said except:

1) Let all of the line out. Especially in big current and water more than 50' deep. Just like your big boat, scope is what holds you.

2) Unlike your big boat, don't leave the winder (bucket, crate,,,,) on the line. although the weigh of the winder is not significant, the drag of it is (again, especially in current). In fact, the drag of the anchor line pulling the anchor is waaay bigger than the drag of the boat. Which is why Brian said use the skinniest line you can handle comfortably (didn't he? ;D) I'd use 1/4" or even 3/8" if you can find it.

Oh, and a length of pool noodle makes a great float. If you weight one end of it, it stands up and is easier to find at kayak eye level.

What he didn't mention was that this is yak fishing 400. Anchoring in deep moving water in a kayak is genuinely dangerous. Throw in the fact that your fishing for 6' prehistoric beasties from hell and your definitely kicking it on the graduate level. Add that minor detail that your in cold, hypothermia inducing water and you should be able to figure out that this is not the trip to introduce your mother to kayak fishing with.
Mother-in-law?
Well, that's different.

"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks Wali,  although I think a lot of anchoring depends on location, tide and water conditions.  Most of the time I've anchored in the Willamette near St. Johns the current hasn't been bad.  Now if I was going to try and anchor near Willamette falls or something that would be a different story (yak fishing 400 as you say).

Brian

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
At what point does one make the switch from the anchor trolley to a drift anchor?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
At what point does one make the switch from the anchor trolley to a drift anchor?

Sadly, I started to do the math on this, at least I started to try and figure out what parameters I would need to calculate this along with a sketch of a figure complete with arrows.     At this point I'm thinking a field test might just be easier method of figuring that out.

Brian

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
   At this point I'm thinking a field test might just be easier method of figuring that out.

Brian

I might have an idea or two.....  8)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures

I actually bought one from Cabela's a few weeks ago but haven't even tried to figure out how to rig or deploy. Probably simple but no time to fish, let alone think about more new stuff   :(

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
   At this point I'm thinking a field test might just be easier method of figuring that out.

Brian

I might have an idea or two.....  8)

How about a mini get together to test out new gear and techniques? I'll be available beginning day after turkey day but I'm gone all of January.

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!

How about a mini get together to test out new gear and techniques?

Jay

I'd be up for that.  I had some extra time this weekend and managed to put together a ghetto drift anchor system for my Cobra.  She aint the prettiest girl at the dance but she's solid (made from unistrut).

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Spot,

I guess I misread your original post regarding anchor selection.  For some reason, I thought you were making a comment on when the line winder starts acting as a drift sock of sorts due to heavy current. I think I was still thinking about FFTW's comments earlier.

Now that I've re-read things I think a lot of it has to do with depth.  For sitting on a 60 ft sturgeon hole the anchor system described above makes the most sense to me.  For drift fishing a shallow river you wouldn't need all that line and the folding grapple anchor is likely to get permanently stuck on a rock.  In this case the 10 lb pyramid anchor is going to be a better option as well as the ability to lift and drop the anchor at will.  What's the cut off depth?  I don't know.. 15 ft or so.  Here's my rationale for that number.. I have a 50 ft line on my drift anchor set up and that's about the max I can keep organized without a winder of sorts.   I figure I want a 3x scope when anchoring so then we're looking at roughly 15 ft depth.  This should be plenty in most small rivers looking for steelhead.

Brian

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I tested my PVC + Scotty Anchor Lock up in WA this past weekend and it worked great in the slow current we had. 

The problem with the Scotty Anchor Lock is that is has a lock which makes it impossible to ditch the anchor in an emergency.  I removed the lock mechanism and use a jam cleat on the side of my kayak near my seat instead.  The PVC arm holding the anchor lock works better on my old Cobra than my OK Caper mostly because the Caper rides lower in the water and my anchor drags a bit.  I need to come up with a riser or sorts.

I don't have pictures of my drift anchor system with me, but I'll take some soon.  This is my inspiration from Mickfish of NCKA...

Mine is very similar.  Note that the anchor line is stuck in the "anchor lock" which I removed on mine.  If I knew how to weld I'd fabricate something better.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:35:51 PM by bsteves »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Here's the rest of the orginal NCKA drift boat style anchor thread.  Lots of pictures of anchor set ups from when this was first being tested out.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6672.0.html

Thinking about the depth question of when to use these anchors, from reading the NCKA post I might be able to cut my rope length in half which would be good for reducing tangles.

Brian