Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:06:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: My D.I.Y. Cobra Drift Anchor  (Read 73297 times)

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Stoked to see so much interest in drift anchors on this site.  I have started making my newest ones out of relatively light steel with enough kick to get the anchor all the way out of the water.  Here is a pic...
I'm wondering if the top bolts could be turned around & wing nuts used to make this configuration easily removable? I'd be real interested in that.

SBD

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
All six bolts screw into the stock threaded rudder mounts.  You can take it off in less than a minute, even faster with a Makita.  Here is another angle...

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
All six bolts screw into the stock threaded rudder mounts.  You can take it off in less than a minute, even faster with a Makita.  Here is another angle...
Pardon my ignorance, but what are stock threaded rudder mounts? Do you put the bolts back in after removal so the the yak won't take on water?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Spot and anyone else local to me that plans to use the Unistrut or similar material, and want a solid permanent attachement at the "T" joint, just let me know.  I have da tools to get're done!  I can also very easly make that notch with my plasma cutter in seconds. 

Thanks for the offer!  I think I'll probably take you up on this.

Maybe we can collaborate on a design for our Tridents also.....

Absolutely!   :thumbsup:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

Nice!  I'm even more impressed now.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

SBD

• Perch
Pardon my ignorance, but what are stock threaded rudder mounts? Do you put the bolts back in after removal so the the yak won't take on water?

Most SOTs have a number of threaded lugs that are cast into them for mounts that need to be strong.  Typical spots would include the rudder and the carry handles.  The threaded lugs are "blind"...in other words the hole doesn't go all the way through so they are always sealed.

These threaded lugs are great for attaching anchors if your yak has them.  The new OKs have six on the stern which is ideal. My old MK boats had two lugs for the handle and two lugs for the rudder which also worked well...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:43:16 AM by SBD »

SBD

• Perch
My Mini-X only had two lugs for the rear handle.  While it never had any issues, I was never in love with two bolts in a single plane...

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:30:44 AM by SBD »

SBD

• Perch
It never bothered the fish however...

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

Most SOTs have a number of threaded lugs that are cast into them for mounts that need to be strong.  Typical spots would include the rudder and the carry handles.  The threaded lugs are "blind"...in other words the hole doesn't go all the way through so they are always sealed.

These threaded lugs are great for attaching anchors if your yak has them.  The new OKs have six on the stern which is ideal. My old MK boats had two lugs for the handle and two lugs for the rudder which also worked well...

I'll look at the rudder mounts on my Big Game. Since I won't be putting a rudder on, a removable drift anchor mount seems ideal.

Thanks to all for the ideas and support,
Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

SBD

• Perch
Glad to help.  Nice to see yakkers similarly obsessed with river salmonids.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Glad to help.  Nice to see yakkers similarly obsessed with river salmonids.

Sean, that's mostly what we have around here (Portland at least).... rivers and salmonids.  Well.. we also have rivers and sturgeon.  Thanks for pioneering some of this for us down in NorCal, I'm hoping some of will see some decent steelhead action this winter.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page

Thanx. I've got an early model Cobra Fish n' Dive. Doesn't have the built in mounts, so I'd have to drill holes & secure the mount so it wouldn't leak or work loose. Spot's configuration may be what I'd have to go with, but for now I think I'll install the quick release anchor/float system. I like the way the drift anchor hangs free from the yak though. I'll stay tuned & keep learning. It's sounding like the the innovations have just begun. Hmm... wonder how the free hanging drift & quick release anchor/float systems could be combined? Creative minds produce excellent results!

SBD

• Perch
The Cobra stern is a whole 'nuther critter.  If you look at page 2 of this thread... http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,6672.0.html you can see a few different Cobra mounts.  My good friend Fishshim's is really nicely made and works very well.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If folks can round up their own lead, I can make the mold for pouring pyramid anchors pretty easily.  I have made one for another feller on IFish.com that would make up to at least 75 lb anchors.  Heating and pouring 50+ lbs of lead is dangerous, but 5-20lbs isn't too bad.  The mold I made was such that the bottom of the anchor was flat instead of pointed.  Made it less likely to dent the floor of a boat when brought on board.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Ten lb drift boat anchors run about $20-25 at places like Joes and Fisherman's Marine.  They're a little pricey, but convenient.   

If anyone has a bunch of lead already though, INSAYN's offer would might save you some money. 
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

anything