Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Heading Smallie fishing on the Mighty Mo!  (Read 2773 times)

1simplemann

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Got the day off and heading down the the Carter, Fort Benton area to chase some Smallies. We caught 17 in a few hours last weekend and the moss wasn't so bad. Hopefully they'll cooperate.
Have Kayak, Will Travel!

1simplemann

• Herring
Fishing was slow. 6 smallies and 2 drum. lost a couple fish as well. Went for a hike w/ the wife on Sunday. Found a small hole along a rock ledge. Threw in a green pumpkin tube. 1st cast nice smallie, next cast, a walleye and on the 3rd a 2lb rainbow! Never caught a trout on a tube before and for sure haven't caught 3 species in 3 casts!
Have Kayak, Will Travel!

• Date Registered: Oct 2015
Hey, I just saw that you are from Great Falls! I am too, it has been hard finding other kayak fisherman around here. You been out fishing much lately?

1simplemann

• Herring
Just saw your post. I haven't been on in a while. Yes, we've been catching quite a few. Had one day where we caught 55 smallies, northerns, walleyes etc. I think it was that last 80 degree day. Oct 11? things have slowed down a little but hunting season has just kicked in so I've been concentrating my efforts there.
Have Kayak, Will Travel!

Yeah, the weather is starting to get pretty crappy now! Do you fish the river from your kayak? I really want to do the stretch from Carter Ferry to Ft Benton in the spring!

1simplemann

• Herring
I fish the river from the bank and from the kayak. I fish from Great Falls all the way to Loma and even the Marias. Many places to put in at. If you float from Carter to Ft. Benton plan on 11-12 hrs depending on the fishing. I will warn you though, have respect for the river, don't go alone, stay in contact w/ your partner and wear your PFD. I recently had a mishap on that stretch that almost cost me my life. Don't under estimate the current or over estimate your abilities because the Mighty Mo is unforgiving and can or will catch up to you when you least expect it. Enough preaching. Fishing can be good on that whole stretch but it takes time to learn. Good Luck, PM me if you have questions. Tight Lines
Have Kayak, Will Travel!

I will keep that in mind! If you ever need anyone to go with, just let me know! I have been out fishing a lot this year, but mainly fished the lakes. Always looking for new people to go with(especially people who do the whole kayak fishing thing!).

1simplemann

• Herring
Which lakes do you target? My partner and I want to try Fort Peck. It's very intimidating though. In light winds and sheltered bay, I think it's doable. Mostly we just target the river although we've been to several western MT lakes. Nothing local though.
Have Kayak, Will Travel!

Which lakes do you target? My partner and I want to try Fort Peck. It's very intimidating though. In light winds and sheltered bay, I think it's doable. Mostly we just target the river although we've been to several western MT lakes. Nothing local though.

This year I did a lot of fishing up at Holter and Pishkun. We did really well at both places. I really want to het up Flathead for Lake trout and Fort Peck for pike, but I have the same concerns that you have. What kayak are you using? I picked up a Hobie pro angler, so I think I could handle some moderate wind on the larger lakes. I was out at Pishkun when we were having the 20-30mph wind and I did just fine. I need to start fishing the river, but I don't know if my hobie would do well for it.

1simplemann

• Herring
You're Hobie on the river would probably be a bad idea on some of the stretches that I fish,especially below Morony to Carter. The rocks will rip your fins off. There are rocks in various places all the way to Loma but it's really rocky on that upper stretch.. A paddle yak is your best bet but it probably could be done in your Hobie if your careful. The thing is, if you've never done it before you won't know where the rocky stretches are and how to avoid them. They come up fast!  Ripping your drive off would be kinda expensive and in IMHO not worth the risk. I use an Oldtown Predator 13. It's a good combination of a lake yak and a river yak. For strictly river yakking, I would choose something different. Something like a Jackson Coosa HD would do well. Fort Peck will be attempted this spring but only in sheltered bays and probably some sort of mother boat situation. I bought a boat this fall so that will definitely get used but you still can't beat the kayak experience.
Have Kayak, Will Travel!