Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:49:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Stolen Kayaks  (Read 4466 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Back in 1984 I was living in Helena, Montana, and one day a friend told me that somebody had stolen their yellow fiberglass canoe from their back yard.  He said it had a couple of distinctive rectangular repair patches on its bottom.  The next day I was looking out of my fifth floor office window, and a vehicle drove by carrying a yellow fiberglass canoe with rectangular repair patches on its bottom.  I called the cops and told them a stolen canoe was driving around town, but they never found it.  So if you see that canoe, let me know.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Back in 1984 I was living in Helena, Montana, and one day a friend told me that somebody had stolen their yellow fiberglass canoe from their back yard.  He said it had a couple of distinctive rectangular repair patches on its bottom.  The next day I was looking out of my fifth floor office window, and a vehicle drove by carrying a yellow fiberglass canoe with rectangular repair patches on its bottom.  I called the cops and told them a stolen canoe was driving around town, but they never found it.  So if you see that canoe, let me know.
Unfortunately Pete I'll bet they never even looked for it after you called.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

• Date Registered: Mar 2013
Thanks Klondike, I appreciate you keeping an eye out for it. Unfortunately the serial number is a non-starter, but as was mentioned earlier, the paint job is likely unique enough to ID it. I really hope whoever store it tries to use it, that seems like the most likely way I'll be able to recover it. But I'm guessing the thieves were tweaked looking to finance their next binge. I've called all the pawn shops in ANC and the Valley and Play It Again Sports, none of them have it, at least not yet. I've also posted about it on CL, and put the word out on a few forums. Other than a garage sale, I'm not real sure how else one sells a 14' used kayak.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Bulletin Boards at all the major grocery stores, or malls, or laundromats is a spot someone can use that is not online yet reaches a huge "market" of eyes.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks Klondike, I appreciate you keeping an eye out for it. Unfortunately the serial number is a non-starter, but as was mentioned earlier, the paint job is likely unique enough to ID it. I really hope whoever store it tries to use it, that seems like the most likely way I'll be able to recover it. But I'm guessing the thieves were tweaked looking to finance their next binge. I've called all the pawn shops in ANC and the Valley and Play It Again Sports, none of them have it, at least not yet. I've also posted about it on CL, and put the word out on a few forums. Other than a garage sale, I'm not real sure how else one sells a 14' used kayak.
Check all the photos you have from outings on that boat, you might be surprised and find you or someone else caught it. Also a reminder for everyone else get your numbers on paper or a photo incase it happens to you. Hope you get it back and intact. 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

TALL FORCE

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
That sure does suck. I think I need to do some soul searching on how I store my kayak. I will keep my eyes open as well. I do a lot of in town kayaking on lakes in between whiskey gulch runs. Maybe they will feel the need to test it out.
"You will not catch anything with your hook out of the water, well nothing worth keeping anyway."

• Date Registered: Mar 2013
I have to imagine that someone is going to put it on the water at some point. Hopefully one of the jokers who stole it.

At the very least, go out and buy a length of the larget chain that will fit through a scupper hole and a decent padlock, and chain it up to something that a couple of people can't move. A couple of chains through different scupper holes would be even better. I'm kicking myself for not having done that. Out of sight behind a locked door is best, but if you make it difficult, most losers will just keep on slinking past.

AKRider

• Lingcod
  • Let's FISH Southcentral AK!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
KEEPING My eyes peeled - hoping you can recover it !

Keep an eye on LetGo as well, if you haven't used it it's another sales site like craigslist etc.

AKRider

Disclaimer - 'Online fishing advice is worth every penny you pay for it'

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'll keep an eye out for it and try to check out any camo boats I see on the water. The nice thing about a camo roto-molded kayak is that they're all unique, like having a finger print. Even without the serial number, with good enough pictures you should be able to prove it's yours if you ever come across it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13