Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Triangular catch cooler bags  (Read 3925 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Where can I buy those long orange catch cooler bags with a triangular cross section which a lot of guys from Oregon have?  I had a number at Hoggs Jo/Mar, and a name (Joe Borba), but the number isn't working.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
The brick and mortar store closed down. I dropped Mike a PM with a link to this thread. Hopefully he chimes in, or Maybe Insayn can relay the manufacturer's info.

Update: Just got word from Mike via text that the orange triangular shaped bags are no longer being manufactured.

KoneZone/KoldZone makes some nice ones.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:45:51 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
Update: Just got word from Mike via text that the orange triangular shaped bags are no longer being manufactured.
Too bad.  It's way easier to load big fish into a bag that opens on top like those triangular bags than it is to load them in an end loading bag like the Reliable/Hobie bags or the Fishbag bags.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I've been happy with the icemule bags.  They funciton like a dry bag.  The big one that I have was $150 or so at next adventure and can hold a 20 lbs chinook and two large cali halibut with room to spare. 

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I've been happy with the icemule bags.  They funciton like a dry bag.  The big one that I have was $150 or so at next adventure and can hold a 20 lbs chinook and two large cali halibut with room to spare.

I like these a lot and they have promotions oing often on their website where theyu are 30% off. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon

I like these a lot and they have promotions oing often on their website where theyu are 30% off. 

The liners aren't very durable when it comes to spiney fish and putting a piece of gorilla tape over that beach ball valve is advisable. If you get sea/river water in the insulation layer it provides a great breeding ground for spuz and will rot it out.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
It is unfortunate that the triangle orange bags are no longer available. The manufacturer made them more as a hobby than for profit.
I believe they were only about $75-$80 and really fit the tank well great.

Fish stays cold all day, and easily hold a limit plus on bottomfish.  Same material as a Zodiac boat, and impervious to rockfish spines.

Turns out the guy than made them had to discontinue making them to take care of his ailing wife. Then he himself had I think a stroke or something like that, and not 100% himself.

So if anyone has one of these, take good care of it, as it won't be easy to replace, let alone for the price they original sold for.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Bummer that those triangular bags aren't being made any more. I am jealous every time I see one. As for the IceMule bags, it's surprising to me that folks on the forum have had luck with them. I got one last year and the inside liner tore after a couple of uses. They replaced it no problem and the inside liner tore after the very first use on the second bag. Luckily, they agreed to refund my money rather than making me have to deal with more useless replacements. Once the liner tears, it becomes impossible to clean and no longer insulates your catch. The weight of a couple of salmon and some ice was enough to tear the liners both times; no rockfish spines required.
I was lucky enough to take home a KoldZone catch bag from the TBMD tourney this year and though the dimensions aren't perfect for kayak fishing, it is a very durable bag with a sturdy zipper and seems impervious to spines.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
http://www.konezone.com

Well I’m not above throwing a plug in for Konezone they are awesome and local, and have donated at every TBKD.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I've had the XL version of the Icemule for a few years, and have been mostly happy with it.  I've had 4 chinook in it at one time, and it held up.  Anchors nicely to the front of my Outback.  I did get a tear in it last year, but patched it with patch kit and it hasn't ripped again.  As for the air valve, I had to put a piece of tape over it, as I ripped the valve off one day when I wasn't paying attention.

I throw 4-5 frozen water bottles in that thing and they stay frozen all day on the water and home.  Saves me from bringing the giant cooler along.  I like that I can roll it up and throw it in the hatch when I don't need it.  With the way my salmon season has gone this fall, I haven't needed it much.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon

Well I’m not above throwing a plug in for Konezone they are awesome and local, and have donated at every TBKD.

We just need to get him to start making a couple of kayak friendly models. One triangle shaped with a top zip and one that rolls up and buckles on the end.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon

We just need to get him to start making a couple of kayak friendly models. One triangle shaped with a top zip and one that rolls up and buckles on the end.
I prefer top loading catch cooler bags, because it's much easier to dump big fish into a top loading bag than an end loading bag, its easier to clean out a top loading bag, and you can stir the ice up on top of the fish in a top loading bag, but that's difficult in an end loading bag. I tried to persuade the Ice Mule guys to develop a top loading bag, but with no success.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

I prefer top loading catch cooler bags, because it's much easier to dump big fish into a top loading bag than an end loading bag, its easier to clean out a top loading bag, and you can stir the ice up on top of the fish in a top loading bag, but that's difficult in an end loading bag. I tried to persuade the Ice Mule guys to develop a top loading bag, but with no success.

Before my orange triangle bag, I used a huge dry bag with frozen water bottles.  Worked fine, but more of a hassle to put fish in and no insulation.
With the triangle bag with top zipper, I started with frozen water bottles then moved to big frozen sponges sealed with in Food Saver bags for when it's just a day trip.  They stay frozen for 12 hours even with fish on top of them.  When I am camping and don't have access to a freezer, I use a big dry bag that I put a 7 lb bag of ice or about 10 scoops of ice from my cooler. It lays flat in the bottom, and the fish lay on top of it.  Never get freshwater on my saltwater fish, but always super cold fish when it comes time to process them.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

pmmpete

• Sturgeon

I'm real disappointed I didn't buy a triangular top-loading catch cooler bag when they were available.  It would be great to be able to drop a big salmon, lake trout, pike, or ling into the top of such a catch cooler and stir some ice on top of it.  If any members of the forum know the owners of KoneZone, urge them to start making a long top-loading catch cooler like the triangular ones a bunch of you have.  Ask them to make them out of real heavy material, and with 1/2" or 3/4" foam insulation.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:28:17 PM by pmmpete »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
PVC material used for the orange bags is more than sufficient, and I believe similar to what KoneZone uses.

1/2" foam is also sufficient for the insulation requirements.

Light/bright colors are the ticket though.   Dark colors are counter productive in keeping the heat off the bag in the full sun.