Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Deep Kokanee Without Downriggers  (Read 3962 times)

uplandsandpiper

Kokanee are one of my favorite fish to pursue from the kayak. However, they tend to inhabit deep water during certain periods of the year. Many anglers employ the use of downriggers to target these fish. However, after trying out downriggers on my Revo and disliking it I started experimenting with using dropper rigs. Over the course of the past several years I've dialed this fishery in and can take home limits of Kokanee whether they are near the surface or 80' down.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Kokanee are on the menu for me for the first time next year and this looks like a great way to try trolling for kokanee without needing (to buy) a downrigger.

Thanks!  Another excellent Spiltmilt tutorial, USP.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:30:08 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Amik

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Over the past season I have become a hopeless Koke addict I love my downrigger but I like to fish two rods. This looks like an excellent way to use the non downrigger rod. Having two different presentations at approximately the same depth has the potential to save time finding what the color scheme of the day.
I have been using an inline weight but haven’t been able to come up with a good system of avoiding tangles. I think your slider is a much better solution and can’t wait to give it a try.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Nice video. I haven't ventured into fishing out lakes here as I'm just now getting comfortable with fishing around the sound. Do you have any tips on getting started in some of the lakes in the Cascades?

uplandsandpiper

Nice video. I haven't ventured into fishing out lakes here as I'm just now getting comfortable with fishing around the sound. Do you have any tips on getting started in some of the lakes in the Cascades?

In the immediate vicinity of Seattle good options for kokanee include Lake Stevens. Further away Kachess and Cle Elum support healthy Kokanee populations although those fish tend to average under 13". Riffe Lake with its landlocked Coho Salmon is another option for you (see the video below).

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Great videos Tyler! 

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Cool stuff, man! Simple is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
In the immediate vicinity of Seattle good options for kokanee include Lake Stevens. Further away Kachess and Cle Elum support healthy Kokanee populations although those fish tend to average under 13". Riffe Lake with its landlocked Coho Salmon is another option for you (see the video below).

Also a great video on Riffe Lake coho!  The underwater video is particularly cool.  What kind of underwater camera were you using?

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Thanks for all the good video content.  I really like your channel.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

uplandsandpiper

Also a great video on Riffe Lake coho!  The underwater video is particularly cool.  What kind of underwater camera were you using?

WaterWolf camera

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Great job on the video and information Tyler. THIS is always what I have done since the 60's to target kokanee. Except it was always lead core mainline and only added dropper weights as needed. Works well even when trolling really deep for Mackinaw.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I finally watched this start to finish - great video for an effective, relatively simple technique. I have messed around just a little with putting a downrigger on my kayak and I also can't find anything I like. I've messed around with leaded line a little but I may revisit this method now.

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
This looks to be a much more familiar technique for an east coast troller like myself.  Seems a much simpler option when there aren't too many power boats around fishing downriggers.

So far I've had less-than-stellar results catching kokanee in Lake Stevens.   :-\

Technical question for you on your videos -- how are you doing your audio?   Clearly you're not using a waterproof housed GoPro unless you found a remote mic option.   The audio tech in me is very curious!  Feel free to PM if you don't want to hijack this awesome kokanee thread!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

anything