Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Blackmouth from kayak  (Read 8807 times)

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hi All,

Have made a couple of initial forays for blackmouth around the MA10/11 borders, looking for some ideas. Haven't targeted blackmouth before, from what I am reading you want to be at or near bottom in 120+ FOW ranges. As I'm on the kayak and downrigger currently only goes to 100' (and hand cranking from that depth is more involved than 30-60'), I have tried some jigging too but so far only bottom fish that way. Have done some downrigger to 80' but slow or shakers. Any thoughts on general approaches?

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Try a little shallower early am. Bottom is good but I’ve had luck at 75-90 especially in overcast days, which might work till next May?
Try to stay a little further from the bottom with a jig, although I’ve picked up rockfish in 30 fow this fall. Seems they are shallower more often than I remember.  Not exactly sure where you are, but drop offs can be good, study a depth cart and make a good plan. Try sliding weight like uplander does for Kokanee and try a smaller flasher/dodger?

Otherwise, enjoy the paddle lol.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:14:51 PM by Trident 13 »

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Thanks T13, good tips. I'll try a bit less deep and work a jig up a bit higher off the bottom. Was trying the Metzler mooch-a-jig Saturday, I like the idea of it and the weight and shape seem to be helpful keeping it where I want it. My second jig option is Point Wilson Darts. Still have yet to catch a salmon on either due to mainly sticking to other techniques but want to develop the capability as an option to downrigger with spoons or cut plug.

I like those sliding sinkers too, did well with them earlier season but then felt like I wasn't staying deep enough in some conditions so got on to the downrigger.

At/pre dawn are they up higher like the summer fish or do they generally stay deeper regardless?

In the end all of the time on the water is good and leads to improvement, happy to be able to get out and learn more. I am mostly around Lincoln Park and then south of the ferry, though spent some time around Golden Gardens late season. Fun to dial in my local areas. I saw the advice you were giving Smokeonthewater who is a coworker and buddy- my other "off season" goal is to get more dialed in on terrain and currents. All of your advice is well appreciated!

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Good thread. I’m in the process of rediscovering jigging for winter springs. I did it a lot in the 70’s and 80’s with my father in his power boat but then moved on to trolling with the rigger. I plan to do more jigging out of the yak this winter and based on my experience from way back when, there are a few points to keep in mind. First, find the feed and look for salmon arches within those feed balls. The big advantage we have over the old days is accurate fish finders. These springs are much more active feeders than summer fish so if you can find the fish, your chances of success are better than in the summer. Keep in mind that jigging is a relatively static method— you don’t cover a lot of ground, so knowledge of fish holding zones in your area is key. The second point is getting your jig to the exact depth of the bait ball. Over the past year I’ve been experimenting with depth marked line—braided line in 25 foot coloured sections (4 colours) that are even marked within each section by white marks every 5 feet. What this means is you can dial in what depth your jig is at. For example, if you see a herring ball from 70 to 90 feet, you let four sections out and jig up one section(25 ft) and then repeat. Finally, Theother thing this marked line does is enable you to get your jig down close to the bottom when the fish are feeding there without losing a lot of gear from snagging, since you know exactly how deep your lure is. You do have to take into account how much angle the current is slanting your line but experience will help with that. This bottom fishing can be important because in my area there are places and times when the springs are keying in on sandlance which are right on the bottom.
Let’s keep this thread going and see how we do over the winter.
T2

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Thanks T2, this is great info. Starting to get a better picture now, will be sure to add some details if/when I get some results!

A few basic questions: do you guys use scents (smelly jelly etc.)? I laid off of it this year with most of my trolling and had good results, but wondering if more important to consider when less action. Another question, on a point Wilson dart, thoughts on hook placement? I am hearing either standard placement or rigging it off of a sampo off of the head. And any other recommended jigs? My only other jigging experience is with buzz bombs and squid jigs, which have helped with technique and feel. Open to any suggestions, thanks!

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I've had great luck jigging a dart in 40-90' of water. You'll be in for a ton of shakers and jacks when you find schools of herring.

tsquared

• Lingcod
I don’t think scent can hurt, that’s for sure but I’ll repeat my point that these winter fish are more active feeders so scent may not be as important as summer fishing. As far as jigs go, I’ve had some success with Shimano butterfly jigs.
Here’s a pic of one of my go to colours with a fall coho.
T2

• Date Registered: Oct 2017
Been curious if anyone has been using the butterfly stuff on salmon - nice work tsquared.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
really excellent to see some jigging success on salmon!  I haven't seen many people trying this method, but I know it can be successful.  We used candlefish and point wilson dart jigs on chinook.

Trident 13

• Salmon
 Tsquared, is that the  Shimano® Flat-Fall Butterfly Jig or flat side. Looks like the flat fall?
 Interesting that at a price of $10+ the flat side doesn’t  come with hooks from cabelas. Nice looking jig and just a quick check suggested marine west might have the best $ at about $11

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:23:55 PM by Trident 13 »

tsquared

• Lingcod
You got it—it’s the flatfall.
T2

Trident 13

• Salmon
T2,  if you see someone out without a shirt, it's likely me after buying two of the Shimano Butterfly jigs.  Sportco had a full rack (if we can still say that) while most others were out. Since the chances of loosing things is in direct proportion to the cost, I picked up two of the $12.50 ea jigs.  Will followup with a report after Sunday, which is still looking good for a morning run out of Shilshole at Meadow Park.
The picture makes them look a bit stouter and shorter than reality.

I saw comments that the double hook set up looked questionable, but seems to hold well, any thoughts or experiences?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:22:31 PM by Trident 13 »

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
White Point Wilson Darts in the 2 to 3 oz will catch about everything in the Sound - in my experience.  Kandlefish is another one that looks like the dart made by the inventor of the Crippled Herring.

tsquared

• Lingcod
Trident: I haven’t lost many fish from these jigs but I’ll repeat— I’m still in the experimental stage. I’ll have more experience over the next few months.
T2

Trident 13

• Salmon
I heard those Canuck fish were easy,lol.  Still planning a Sunday romp at Shilshole Bay. Will be a jigging day with the butterflies and have plenty of Pt Wilson darts and even a thick jigging spoon. Will post up.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:59:45 PM by Trident 13 »

anything