Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:29:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:12:10 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Bangka Boat  (Read 2726 times)

bizshop

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Just finished building my Philippine/Pacific Islander style double outrigger sailing canoe with crabclaw sail. 24' long, but in 3 sections for easy transport. Should be a very stable platform for fishing!  Photo is a of the dry sail as I check everything, hopefully in the water tomorrow or the next day (if I can find me a mate willing to test her)

Sorry picture is rotated, don't know how to fix that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:42:09 PM by bizshop »

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Looks awesome!  Any details on the construction?
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
lol, weird.  I rotated the picture and reposted it but it went back to laying down.   Guessing it has something to do with the aspect ratio?
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
One more try!  This one's cropped but I think I may have derped the original download in the repost versus the rotated.

bizshop

• Plankton
Thanks Yippiekaiyak for doing that rotation!

A few construction details - Hull is in 3 pieces bolted together so it can be cartopped. It is 1/4 inch plywood fiberglassed.  It can be 24 foot with middle section, or 16 foot with middle section out. Each piece weighs about 60 pounds. The basic hull design is a W'apaa, comes from a book on building outrigger sailing canoes by Gary Dierking. The outrigger supports (aka) are aluminum I-beam. The outriggers (ama) are vinyl gutter downspouts, front shaped to a point and stuffed with empty sealed water bottles (unsinkable!).  The front and stern sections also each a large airtight compartment for storage and floatation.  Floor is double with 2" foam sandwiched. Holes in the wooden ama mounts allow for different depths of draft depending on how loaded the canoe is.  Crab claw sail is on 12' bamboo yards. The longest 2" bamboo I could get was 8', so there is a screw-on joint on each, which also makes it shorter for transport.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:10:09 AM by bizshop »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
My first thought is with the potential rolling waving in the PA area, it will be interesting to see how it functions, but the referenced book certainly seems like it would be ocean tested to some degree.  Some pretty forward thinking ideas in the flotation, etc. 

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Cool!  I started building amas for a kayak sailing rig in 2015.  I got distracted and have not quite finished them yet.

bizshop

• Plankton
Didn't try the sail this trip, just paddling. She floats!  I had the amas set too low, and only had 2 paddles for 4 guys, slow to turn. Other that, very pleased. The whole thing packed up and fit in the back of my van, which means I can take her anywhere....

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Sweet looking boat!  I am on Version 2.5 of my homebrew yak sail rig myself, including a set of much-less-fancy amas (pics when I get home if I remember)

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”