Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie Kayak Cart Alternatives  (Read 2421 times)

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I have a mid-level Hobie Kayak cart for my outback, and it works fine.  However, for Little Cos's outback, I made a cart out of PVC and Harbor Freight Wheels.  It worked fine for a while, great on pavement, but on one of our trips to PC this summer, dragging his fully loaded outback through the sand was too much for the PVC cart, and it snapped at the base of the scupper tubes.  I have a folding cart that the kayak can sit on top of and strap down, but that thing is useless in my opinion.

I can bite the bullet and spend another $180-$200 for the Hobie cart, but wondering if anyone has had any success with other aftermarket scupper carts that can handle a fully loaded outback going through the sand?  Most of the after market stuff I've seen online looks pretty wimpy to me.

Thanks.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Steve aka Wobbler makes some really solid ones out of copper tubing. Pretty bullet proof from my experience.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I bought one of the "heavy duty" Hobie scupper carts when I bought my Outback. To be honest, I don't like it nearly as well as my C-Tug cart. I kinda wish that I hadn't bought it.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have been rolling my fully loaded Revo on a shedule 80 PVC frame, with solid 3/4" aluminum axle.  I can swap out the length of the axle and use either of my Wheeleez balloon sizes (9.4" or 11.8" tall) depending on sand softness. 
It can also be quickly broken down to fit in an old camp chair bag (minus the wheels).

Bounced down curbs, pulled over rocks, deep sand, etc..  10 years and still going strong. 

Check your PMs.   8)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:53:23 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
We've been hooking our mooring lines to the bow and easily dragging our kayaks across deep, soft sand like toboggans...  Oh, wait, you own Hobies!  Nevermind.   >:D

INSAYN, I've been hunting for your old post describing how you pieced together that cart for weeks, and you're taking it into a PM?  Say it ain't so!  Please, say it ain't so..!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I have been rolling my fully loaded Revo on a shedule 80 PVC frame, with solid 3/4" aluminum axle.  I can swap out the length of the axle and use either of my Wheeleez balloon sizes (9.4" or 11.8" tall) depending on sand softness. 
It can also be quickly broken down to fit in an old camp chair bag (minus the wheels).

Bounced down curbs, pulled over rocks, deep sand, etc..  10 years and still going strong. 

Check your PMs.   8)

Craig, that design looks great. I'm guessing the schedule 80 pvc makes all the difference.  The one I built looked similar, but in schedule 40.  Thanks for the help.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Check your PMs.   8)

Craig, that design looks great. I'm guessing the schedule 80 pvc makes all the difference.  The one I built looked similar, but in schedule 40.  Thanks for the help.

The schedule 80 PVC, full length vertical uprights that pass through the horizontal "T's", and the Wheeleez all play a big part in it's overall strength.
Heavy wheels that don't float well in sand will put a strain on any cart due to the excessive drag, where as the Wheeleez do a great job of floating over sand and irregular surfaces.  For launches that are just pavement, then the harder Harbor Freight wheels do just fine. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

DARice

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I've never used a cart at PC. I do have one of these:  https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/kayak-gear/products/sit-on-top-cart

It came with inflatable tires. They were great for hard surfaces and gravel, not so great for soft sand.

Two issues with the design:
1) the posts take a lot of effort to remove from the scupper holes. On land I tip the kayak on its side to push them out of the kayak. I've tried a few things, but they still 'stick' with too much force.
2) The inflatable tires float the cart and make it difficult to remove the cart from the kayak if you wheel it into the water (thus my change to solid wheels as pictured in the link).

Dave

Wilfite

• Rockfish
  • Fish'n's good, Catch'n's better.
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I can see how that would jam.  Seems like a recipe for cracked scuppers.
-Tony

Wilderness Systems Thresher 15.5 (Yellow)
Old Town Predator MK, (Lime Green Camo)

anything