Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Final check on gear for the sturgeon social  (Read 3223 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
In preparation to try to catch fish larger than I've ever caught by any method, much less from a kayak, I'd like an experienced opinion on the gear that I plan to use. I have read and watched videos, so I think I should at least have a shot at success. Since this is likely a once per year thing for me at most, I tried not to buy a bunch of extra gear that I'd never use for anything else by either using what I already had or buying only reasonably priced items that might be used for something else also (halibut, etc.).

Ugly Stik Tiger Spinning Rod, 7 feet, 2 piece, medium action, line rating 10-50lbs
Penn Spinfisher V 6500LL
Berkley X9 braided line, 50lb
P-Line Sliding Swivel
Assortment of 2 to 8 ounce cannonball sinkers (no current, so no need for non-rolling in this case, right?)
P-Line Ball Bearing Swivel with Crosslock Snap #3, 88lb
Brad's sturgeon leaders, 30" 80lb 7/0 hook

How's that for gear? Also, what's the easiest bait to get and use that doesn't require another fishing trip and luck on that trip to acquire? I don't think I'll have any time on the water before I am driving very early the day of the social heading to Portland. What prep do I need to do to that bait after I acquire it for maximum effectiveness when I try to use it?

Thanks!

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Perfect! You're set! Next, grab a package each of herring, squid, and live sand-shrimp, if you can find em. Or just a few packages of herring. Don't overthink it.

hanapaa808

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
When's the sturgeon social!?
HANAPAA!!!

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
When's the sturgeon social!?

Dec 15th - Swan island basin area. Should be ~30-50 kayakers depending on weather.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Nice selection of gear.  Don't overthink the bait.  A pack of herring will last the day and there will be plenty of folks with extra bait floating around you.  Sounds odd, but I've found fresh bait works best.  Since you're likely buying it the day before, I'd freeze it overnight to avoid it getting mushy.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Nice selection of gear.  Don't overthink the bait.  A pack of herring will last the day and there will be plenty of folks with extra bait floating around you.  Sounds odd, but I've found fresh bait works best.  Since you're likely buying it the day before, I'd freeze it overnight to avoid it getting mushy.
Thanks! After watching more videos and a couple direct replies here, I think I'll likely just pick up a couple packs of green label herring the day before to have frozen in the cooler when I leave home around 3AM on the day of the social. If I happen to have extra bait, I'll share with others. I would rather be the one with extra for others instead of the one in need of extra from others.  8)

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
anyone ever try a week at least thawed squid ( fresh if u must)wrapped with 2 or 3 nitecrawlers over there???? 30- 50 yaks ? holy crap is there room? evryone just pick a spot and anchor? never  been there.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:47:52 PM by dampainter »

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
squid, fresh or frozen, works well. i don't know why nightcrawlers would hurt.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
anyone ever try a week at least thawed squid ( fresh if u must)wrapped with 2 or 3 nitecrawlers over there???? 30- 50 yaks ? holy crap is there room? evryone just pick a spot and anchor? never  been there.

There's room more or less as there's several "spots" in that area. I would bring an anchor, there's very little if any current, but could be wind, just make sure you've got a float and a quick disconnect because you will get towed around. It gets to be pretty fun when you've got 3 or 4 guys in an area all hooked up with fish running in different directions.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thinking of joining and curious if my heavy salmon stick (uglystik elite 12-25lb rated) w/ Okuma Coldwater 303 would be under matched?   I was at fishermans in tigard yesterday hoping to pick up one of the Daiwa fiberglass rods that Robert had posted on the FB page, but they were out. 

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
That set up will work just fine it may just take you a bit longer and you will need to be more patient.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Thinking of joining and curious if my heavy salmon stick (uglystik elite 12-25lb rated) w/ Okuma Coldwater 303 would be under matched?   I was at fishermans in tigard yesterday hoping to pick up one of the Daiwa fiberglass rods that Robert had posted on the FB page, but they were out.

Putting your salmon setup to work on sturgeon is fun!

(I was severely under-matched for my last fish of the day, but I was done anyway.)

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Where’s the launch for that area? Just put in at cathedral park and pedal / paddle up on the incoming tide?

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Where’s the launch for that area? Just put in at cathedral park and pedal / paddle up on the incoming tide?

Swan Island boat ramp.

https://goo.gl/maps/vHHdWj7chhD2

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Sweet, thanks rawkfish. I’ll just pretend I’ve always known that existed now.

anything