Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Ocean window next weekend 2/2-2/4  (Read 4010 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Am I reading it wrong, because it does not look very good to me.  6 am - Primary 3.5 at 8 plus secondary 2.5 at 8 adds up to be 6 feet at 8 seconds, unless my math is wrong.  :dontknow:

I agree that it could definitely be sporty I think I am headed to depoe bay. However I read the report slightly different. I may be incorrect in my thinking but wanted to throw it out here. I read the forecast of 3.5 ft for the primary surf. Meaning the surf zone the secondary waves add the potential for the surf to be up 6. However once pst the surf zone it will be 2.5 rollers ever 8 seconds or so caused by wind. This sounds the same but I read it being if the waves time up perfectly it would be 6 ft. With a shorter window the waves will line up more often. It would be more doable if the secondary was farther apart as it would be less likely to get them to double up.

Am I making sense?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I'm keen on help understanding that as well.  I was hoping 3 ft @ 8 sec WSW + 2.5 @ 8 sec NW = some 6 ft @ 8 sec but perhaps more often than that it would be 3 then 2.5 alternating with a frequency of less than 8 secs.

Meaning, am I right to think that it will just be a lot of movement (sore ab muscles) but few larger swell waves?

Also, I continue to be really grateful for the input on these threads, so thanks.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
That has been my experience.  However i am not positive on that is how it should be read.

I love PC and think the fishing can sometime be more productive, but would prefer the secondaries to be farther apart.  After my huli on the first of the year i am going to head to Depoe Bay and learn some of those waters better and do some early prep for ORC haha.

If the forecast does change i may consider PC but as of now Depoe seems like a more likely destination for me. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
The forecast for Depoe looks a lot nicer than the one for PC.  Of the two days, Sunday looks the best.  Primary and secondary will be headed in the same direction.  From my experience out there, the Sunday forecast means it'll be a little lumpy with 3 foot swells, but definitely fishable.

Last year I had a day out there where the swells were 3-4 foot and the primary and secondary were coming from different directions.  It was a bumpy lil' rodeo, but we caught a lot of nice fish that day.

The forecasts for the north and south coasts look crappy with the wind, but it's looking like we'll have a nice little window here on the central coast.  It's already shaping up nicely here--currently five footers hitting the beach here in Waldport and no wind.
aMayesing Bros.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Thanks for the update Clayman!

I am going to check out Depoe Saturday morning.  Shooting for Saturday as Sunday i am hosting a SB party.  I dont mind a washing machine as long as the fishing is good and i feel comfortable on the water.

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

nomas

• Rockfish
Zach, I'll see you there Saturday, but I won't arrive until ~1 p.m.  Hopefully you're still on the water.

Between this morning and now, the magicseaweed forecast for Sunday has changed a bit (it appears to look better with the primary swell frequency slowing down), so hopefully that doesn't make Tinker's words of caution come true with Monday's larger swell pushing in sooner.  if not, I'll be out Sunday as well.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I fished PC this afternoon for about 3 hours and it was an easy launch at high tide.  Saturday and Sunday should be really good, and I’m sure Depoe will be good as well.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Clayman

• Salmon
Good luck to those fishing tomorrow.  The surf here in Waldport looked great, but a big fog bank rolled in and is still sitting on the shore.  It's not terribly thick, but it's very...wet.  Not sure if it's north of Newport though.

I'll be fishing steelhead tomorrow, but plan on fishing Depoe on Sunday.
aMayesing Bros.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Lots ling action not so much on the blacks but scratched out limit. More of the same tomorrow? Off to camp spot. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:06:02 PM by dampainter »

Clayman

• Salmon
Lots ling action not so much on the blacks but scratched out limit. More of the same tomorrow? Off to camp spot. Stay tuned.
Good to hear!  I'll be there tomorrow morning.  Hope to see you out there.
aMayesing Bros.

nomas

• Rockfish
Couple kayakers cleaning fish when I arrived at 2 ish. Stayed in by the first bouy since I was solo, but there are lings. See you in the morning.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
better day today all around for ocean and fishing. blacks were more for me than yesterday and better quality (mo bigger). ling action kinda slowed though not nearly as many as saturday.  cris and brandon good to have met chatted a minute. other yakkers out there did not catch names. great to get out. next time.

nomas

• Rockfish
Ditto Mark. Look forward to killing some walleye with you soon. And thanks clayman and jrich for sharing a waypoint or two.

Clayman

• Salmon
Nice to get out on the salt in February!  I needed a change-up from what's been (for me anyway) a challenging steelhead year.  Things started off strong early on when Nomas and I were hooking up back-to-back on nice lings for a while, then by late morning it turned into more of a grind.  After the lack of pressure the last several months, I was expecting a better bite.  The coolest part of the day for me was the killer cabezon action: I hooked into six cabs that all ranged from 23 to 26 inches.  That's the best cab action I've ever experienced, and the 26 is a new PB.  They made for some cool photos.

Halibut in the summer Nomas...let's do it  8).  Good to see you out there Dampainter.
aMayesing Bros.

• scupper pro.low budget/tech style.coast local
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Thats a real nice china rockfish too.those are way better eatin than the other rocks!