Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:13:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Latex free drysuits  (Read 1608 times)

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
You guys know of any affordable latex-free drysuits, or other alternatives?  I’d like to hit PC or Depot Bay for bottom fish this summer but I’ve noticed most drysuits under $1k have latex gaskets on the wrists and neck.  That’s my one big allergy.

I obviously know it’s important, but would you ever go without a drysuit in the summer months?  If not, any other options you know of? 

-Dungydog
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

FilthyFuzz

• Herring
  • I’m lost, but I’m making good time!
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I would call Kokatat.  I have the Gore-Tex Supernova Angler and the neck is neoprene but latex wrists.  Kokatat will do some customization and you might be able to get neoprene everywhere.  I got my suit on sale at Outdoor Play and then sent it to Kokatat for a larger neck and feet.  (I’m tall but slender.)  The phone number is:  800-225-9749 (Arcata, California)

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Wetsuit :-\

What INSAYN said,  wetsuit- farmer john with a splash jacket; see something like this for the jacket: https://www.nrs.com/product/2590/nrs-rio-top-paddle-jacket

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

• Date Registered: Dec 2012
Do you use pants for this setup or just the farmer John and the jacket?  Seems like a solid way to go.
Also - with the Farmer John and a pedal kayak is it comfortable?  Ie - is there any 'chafing'?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Do you use pants for this setup or just the farmer John and the jacket?  Seems like a solid way to go.
Also - with the Farmer John and a pedal kayak is it comfortable?  Ie - is there any 'chafing'?

I've never worn a wet suit myself, but I would think you could get away with wearing some form of a rash guard under the farmer john? 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I use a surfing wet suit, went today, no chafing but I wear boxer briefs and an under armor shirt under mine. And it was warm, my kid complained of the heat in his but if you Cary a measuring cup just soak yourself periodically works for me all summer.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Get a full surfing wetsuit, 3/4/5 mm, with front zipper.  They don't cost significantly more than a farmer john, cost less than a farmer john plus a splash top, will be more comfortable - and did I mention you can get them with a front zipper?

The only issue might be that real neoprene is made from latex so investigate the materials.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:04:31 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Amik

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I have the same skin condition and did not realize that neoprene contains latex until my neck got itchy after fishing all day one weekend,which I thought a minor inconvenience, and swelled up like a balloon the next weekend fishing with the dry suit.

I don’t want to start a controversy over what is or is not safe, correct, or other wise but this is what I do to fish in cold water. I wear a natural fiber hoody or turtleneck between the neoprene and my skin. It took a little experimenting to find what works and doesn’t. For me it’s more the neoprene neck gasket than the latex cuffs. I also use the thinnest fabric possible to maintain a good seal, or at least the best seal possible.

This is what I do and is an acceptable compromise for me.

• Date Registered: Apr 2017
A 3/2 wetsuit is more than enough when fishing PC or Depoe. Source: I surf 3+ hours in one. You won't want to spend the day soaking in it, but it's plenty for kayak safety.

Ek-Balam

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
I too suffer from a mild latex allergy. I solved this issue via a homemade pair of neoprene "cuffs" similar to these:

https://starlessriver.com/shop/wetsocks_pads_hoods_cuffs/warmbac_long_neoprene_cuffs

siebler

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Pretty darn sure we can get you a suit with punch through neoprene wrists and neck, no latex from either Kokatat or Immersion Reseach.

If you want me to gather some detaila for you shoot me an email with your contact info.  Cj@nextadventure.net

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I use a surfing wet suit, went today, no chafing but I wear boxer briefs and an under armor shirt under mine. And it was warm, my kid complained of the heat in his but if you Cary a measuring cup just soak yourself periodically works for me all summer.

Isn't that basically "basting" ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Thanks to all for the great options. CJ, appreciate the offer and I may take you up on that.

Craig
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

anything